Shopping rant

bluesofa

13 minutes ago, ravip said:

when I wanted a white one and was given a blue-tinted one, despite having taken the old one with me to show what I wanted.

I didn't take it back purely for a refund, but in order to exchange it for the one I wanted.

Nobody has mentioned that a large store initially didn't want to refund the difference between the two items, even though they mis-sold it to me, but instead wanting me to select something additional, to avoid the refund.

Wasn't there ANY indication on the Lamp OR it's packing, re the specs?

Example

image.png.6b720c5f5480be6325ec1a0da09f4990.png

No there wasn't - see my recent post #45 below.

I don't think I'm going back to take a photo. I did look at the website, but couldn't see the brand name listed on there.

31 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Interesting.

There was me wanting to pay for what I'd bought, not 17 Baht more. Nothing to do with a tip, or living from hand to mouth.

The way I read that, you seem to be an apologist for being overcharged when shopping.

If you've seen the later posts, you'll see I said I didn't know if it was her money or HomePro's.

Are you happy to be overcharged? If so what's the amount where you would say something? Ten times that, or a perhaps a hundred?

As I've said a couple of times now, I didn't go in specifically complain about 17 Baht, but to change a mis-sold item. Why would customer services try to avoid paying me the money they owed me?

You probably won't want to believe this, but there was no arguing with any of the staff, no raised voices. When I was told to choose an additional product, I simply said I didn't want that, but i wanted the difference back in cash, as it wasn't me who made the mistake choosing it, but the staff sold me the item based on the sample I gave them.

I appreciate where you have come from on this bluesofa. These little things are sent along every so often to test our resolve in LOS. Have to hang tough. It's either morally right, or it's not.

Last Thursday, as I was preparing to take Mildred to school, Mrs Owl got a call from the village shop. I was told to stop at the shop on the way out of the village. Nang, the shop owner, gave me a note and 2,00 baht. 

Dropped Milly off at school, and went to the wholesale shop which Nang frequents in Ban Dung.

They loaded onto the pick-up, three cases of beer and handed me few packs of fags in a bag. Total price 2019 baht. I gave the lady the extra 20 baht, and gestured for her to keep the change.

Back at the village. I dropped off the goods and gave Nang the receipt. She gave me back exactly 19 baht; all in coins.

Told the Mrs. She couldn't see much wrong with the whole episode. Popped the coins into Milly's money tube.

But! I'm thinking. How is it worthwhile Phillips making these tubes in Holland and shipping them out to be sold in LOS for just a few baht?

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Who has the desire to return a bulb? JHChrist, ahahaa

I've just fitted out a condo and I'm a bit fussy over the color temp of the bulbs as I wanted them all to be the same - so I understood the first part of the OP. 

All bulbs were labelled 'Daylight' but one had a weird blue tint - so it went straight in that drawer with the allen keys that come with furniture, the weird leftover bolts from a bed I just put together and a gazillion red elastic bands.  Bought another bulb after checking temp properly this time, and think I'll eventually recover from the 50 THB financial impact.

13 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It's not just the 17 Baht, before someone calls me a cheap charlie

You ever heard of that saying, "don't cry over spilt milk" ?

Yes, yes, principal and all that, I get you ????

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I appreciate where you have come from on this bluesofa. These little things are sent along every so often to test our resolve in LOS. Have to hang tough. It's either morally right, or it's not.

Last Thursday, as I was preparing to take Mildred to school, Mrs Owl got a call from the village shop. I was told to stop at the shop on the way out of the village. Nang, the shop owner, gave me a note and 2,00 baht. 

Dropped Milly off at school, and went to the wholesale shop which Nang frequents in Ban Dung.

They loaded onto the pick-up, three cases of beer and handed me few packs of fags in a bag. Total price 2019 baht. I gave the lady the extra 20 baht, and gestured for her to keep the change.

Back at the village. I dropped off the goods and gave Nang the receipt. She gave me back exactly 19 baht; all in coins.

Told the Mrs. She couldn't see much wrong with the whole episode. Popped the coins into Milly's money tube.

But! I'm thinking. How is it worthwhile Phillips making these tubes in Holland and shipping them out to be sold in LOS for just a few baht?

I'm glad you got the beer order correct! There could be some serious pish-taking if it was wrong.

The tubes are not made in Holland. they come from Indonesia:

Philips-1000w.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

And there was me thinking it was up to the stores to give their staff product knowledge training so they could actualy serve the customer with the correct products first time every time. Silly me.

Yes, it's HomePro's job to teach staff members psychic abilities so they can understand what exactly you mean by "white" lightbulb, when there are multiple color frequencies including warm white, cool white and daylight white, with ranges of several hundred to several thousand kelvin between them.

Maybe if you spoke to them in Thai and explained what you were after? ????

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm glad you got the beer order correct! There could be some serious pish-taking if it was wrong.

The tubes are not made in Holland. they come from Indonesia:

Philips-1000w.jpg

"Made in the Netherlands", is known world wide to be top notch produce. I'm sure these tubes are not that great. Made in Indonesia and sold in Thailand for 30 baht? Dear me!

But I'm with you on the basic theme of the thread.

England did a wrong un back in the 40s. Now look what's happening! 

Edited by owl sees all

For me it would all be too much hassle i would be happy enough with a change. I would not care about the 17 baht. But he has a point about this being a mistake of the shop at least employed. (provided his Thai was good enough and it was not an English mix-up). If it was an language mix-up then id be in favor of the shop. 

29 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

"Made in the Netherlands", is known world wide to be top notch produce. I'm sure these tubes are not that great. Made in Indonesia and sold in Thailand for 30 baht? Dear me!

But I'm with you on the basic theme of the thread.

England did a wrong un back in the 40s. Now look what's happening! 

That's gone right over my head. What's the relevance to England in the 40s? Nowt to do with Phirips?

Well done Blue sofa for highlighting the smart Thai work around to accommodate the rigid 'barcode rules and regulations' that occasionally seek to complicate our daily lives. Shop assistant carrying a bit of small change, excellent solution.

17 hours ago, Airalee said:

I’d be embarrassed not being able to find the aisle with the lightbulbs and finding what it is I need by myself.  I certainly wouldn’t ask them to test something that costs less than $2 to see if it works either.

I was thinking exactly the same about not being able to find it yourself although I think it is usually wise to have electrical stuff tested.

Maybe next time I go to a supermarket I will try and see if I can get someone to hunt down the individual grocery items for me while I have a relax outside. Should make for an interesting checkout experience if nothing else. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tonray said:

I don't think it was being stingy...it was being pigheaded stubborn....leave that attitude back in your home country....those behaviors are what get foreigners labeled as difficult to deal with. Go with the flow....your life will be easier and less stressful

no wonder " stupid farang "is apparently the most often used phase in the thai language,any time anyone makes a stand on a matter of principle,they,re mocked and sneered at by the i,me,myself mob.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DaftToPutRealName said:

Yes, it's HomePro's job to teach staff members psychic abilities so they can understand what exactly you mean by "white" lightbulb, when there are multiple color frequencies including warm white, cool white and daylight white, with ranges of several hundred to several thousand kelvin between them.

Maybe if you spoke to them in Thai and explained what you were after? ????

I wasn't there, not sure why you'd think I go shopping with Mr. Sofa.

As he took the old item in it ought not to have been beyond them to hav provided him with a like for like replacement. If the first member of staff that he asked wasn't sure they (the staff member) should have escalated it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

As he took the old item in it ought not to have been beyond them to hav provided him with a like for like replacement. If the first member of staff that he asked wasn't sure they (the staff member) should have escalated it.

Well since you're throwing out weird excuses despite not being there, I thought I'd have a hand at it myself ????

15 minutes ago, DaftToPutRealName said:
1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

Well since you're throwing out weird excuses despite not being there, I thought I'd have a hand at it myself

How is that a 'weird excuse'?

It seems like a reasonable statement.

Perhaps you could speak to them in Thai for me via Line?

3 hours ago, narisarasgroove said:

I was thinking exactly the same about not being able to find it yourself although I think it is usually wise to have electrical stuff tested.

Maybe next time I go to a supermarket I will try and see if I can get someone to hunt down the individual grocery items for me while I have a relax outside. Should make for an interesting checkout experience if nothing else. 

I need to get a new washer and dryer from Homepro in the near future.  Should I bring a load of lights or darks? ????

3 hours ago, narisarasgroove said:

Maybe next time I go to a supermarket I will try and see if I can get someone to hunt down the individual grocery items for me while I have a relax outside. 

Don't forget to ask them to check your produce by making it in to a sandwich for you.   I mean no one should buy a 39 baht packet of ham without having it tested.

If you don't like it when you get home and make a sandwich get straight back on your mobility scooter and give them hell!!

• Sad 1

On 8/2/2020 at 9:49 PM, josephbloggs said:

Don't forget to ask them to check your produce by making it in to a sandwich for you.   I mean no one should buy a 39 baht packet of ham without having it tested.

If you don't like it when you get home and make a sandwich get straight back on your mobility scooter and give them hell!!

Dang! Why didn't I think of that. Thanks.

Need to leave the mobility scooter at home though. Last time I took it on the dual carriageway I got stopped and fined.