can she view my online banking?

20 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Not even my mobile internet provider knows what I do online.  I think you'll be okay as you need to separate out a mobile contract with the workings of the physical phone.

Comforting to hear. 

20 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Anyway, why don't you purchase your own mobile plan?

Fair enough point. And I tried to do so recently with a different company. But the thing they gave me was such garbage. Internet sooooooo slow. I demanded my money back. 

I really don't know squat about smartphones, and the whole process of dealing with these phone company store employees is just so often distasteful and exhausting. 

Though my better half wasn't very good at selecting men, she nailed it when it came to the smartphone plan. The service she obtained for me is by far the best I've had in Thailand. 

...So, if you think chances are pretty slim that she can snatch my banking passwords, then it's all good to me. 

In case it makes any difference, I often just use my smartphone to "hotspot" and then use that internet service for my laptop, as I've been told its safer than using hotel/apartment wifi. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

...So, if you think chances are pretty slim that she can snatch my banking passwords, then it's all good to me. 

Zero chance. Always use a good VPN as well for maximum security, particularly when on public Wifi networks.

You might as well keep the plan running until she turns it off, then you'll be forced to update your SIM provider.  

• Thanks 1

Communication between you and banks website is encrypted. So your internet provider can see that you are communication with bank, but can't see what you are saying (can't see sent password for example, or you balance). So your internet provider can't get your password. Can see what websites and particular URLs you are visiting. But can't see what you are doing on these urls, what text you are inserting there and what text is retrieved back.

Internet banking usually doesn't offer "remmeber me" option. So you shouldn't be left login on any of here devices.

• Thanks 1

Yes she can see all numbers you have called. She just loggs online at current serviceprovider. Puts her idcard and phone number. Then gets a new password. Usually new password sends to the phone but she can go directly to office. My bank transfers, all transactions gives a receipt to my mail and the phone number that is typed inside the system. Oh an if she knows any official then he can look into your account to. My gf went to get some money from government. This guy told her after 2min that she has enough inside her account and her bf is sending her every 2 weeks. This was a guy from government. So if she knows anyone like that then yes. 

Edited by sead

11 minutes ago, sead said:

Yes she can see all numbers you have called. She just loggs online at current serviceprovider. Puts her idcard and phone number. Then gets a new password. Usually new password sends to the phone but she can go directly to office. My bank transfers, all transactions gives a receipt to my mail and the phone number that is typed inside the system. Oh an if she knows any official then he can look into your account to. My gf went to get some money from government. This guy told her after 2min that she has enough inside her account and her bf is sending her every 2 weeks. This was a guy from government. So if she knows anyone like that then yes. 

The OP didn't mention anything about phone numbers.  I think he's concerned about his internet activities and log in details being available for review by his ex wife/girlfriend and the answer to that is a big fat no.  

For example, my wife's UK EE SIM is attached to my EE account and yes, I can see her mobile telephone calls/duration/cost on the app, but I can only see the amount of internet data she's used on my plan.  There's no record of browsing history/data/passwords/log in details whatsoever.

Where are you staying? 

There are a couple of telco operators with very good staff who speak English and have great product knowledge. True at Emquartier and Central World Chitlom as well as AIS at Mega Bangna are my recommendations if you are in BKK/South of BKK.

You could either get them to recommend a new package to you, or if it all sounds like gibberish (which I can totally empathise with given their tendency to whip out a 5 page table with hundreds of options) then you could probably just get them to set you up with the same package under your own name.

Should require just a passport and address.

• Like 1

Cannot view, but if she cancels the plan you won't be able to do any internet banking until you get a new number, and then change the registered number with your bank. That in itself can be hassle.

Why not go to the same provider you have now and ask for the same package but with a new sim and different number? Then you can start the process of changing things over to the new number at your leisure.

19 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Cannot view, but if she cancels the plan you won't be able to do any internet banking until you get a new number, and then change the registered number with your bank. That in itself can be hassle.

Depends on where you're based and we don't know where the OP's SIM is based.  If I change my SIM number or phone in the UK then it's really not problem to get back into my mobile banking app.  

She can not obtain your password, but she could say she lost the sim card, get a new sim card with the same number, then go on your banks website and reset the password to one of her choice. At some point you will notice this and can act, but until then she would have access to your account.

18 minutes ago, jackdd said:

She can not obtain your password, but she could say she lost the sim card, get a new sim card with the same number, then go on your banks website and reset the password to one of her choice. At some point you will notice this and can act, but until then she would have access to your account.

Erm, the ex would need the log in details of his banking app to make any changes.  There's no way to circumvent banking apps security by the aforementioned workaround.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Erm, the ex would need the log in details of his banking app to make any changes.  There's no way to circumvent banking apps security by the aforementioned workaround.  

It will of course depend on the bank and will not be possible with all banks (but probably with most)

For example at Krungsri, it looks like just this is required:

- Username (Maybe she ever sew him type it in, or he uses the same username everywhere. There are a few other ways to possibly obtain it if this should fail)

- Passport number (Maybe she still has an old passport copy somewhere, or any document where the passport number was written down)

- Access to the phone number to confirm the OTP

After entering this information it's possible to reset the password and then do everything with the bank account.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

It will of course depend on the bank and will not be possible with all banks (but probably with most)

For example at Krungsri, it looks like just this is required:

- Username (Maybe she ever sew him type it in, or he uses the same username everywhere. There are a few other ways to possibly obtain it if this should fail)

- Passport number (Maybe she still has an old passport copy somewhere, or any document where the passport number was written down)

- Access to the phone number to confirm the OTP

After entering this information it's possible to reset the password and then do everything with the bank account.

No.  Even my Bangkok Bank app has a specific password to access the app.  

18 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

If she has my phone number, about how well can she pin down my current location?

Are we talking about a matter of kilometers or meters ?

My Google history even names the shops I've visited.

I'd guess within 10m most of the time.

She needs your Google password to access your location information.

Edited by BritManToo

9 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

really don't know squat about smartphones, and the whole process of dealing with these phone company store employees is just so often distasteful and exhausting. 

use the INternet to learn a bit..and you never have to go into a store to purchase anything after you register a SIM..all online

On 8/1/2020 at 9:37 PM, tonray said:

use the INternet to learn a bit.

I've been trying to do so a little bit. 

On 8/1/2020 at 9:37 PM, tonray said:

.and you never have to go into a store to purchase anything after you register a SIM..all online

Don't you eventually have to go to some kind of a store (even just a 7-11) in order to show your passport and register your number?

1 hour ago, BananaBandit said:

I've been trying to do so a little bit. 

Don't you eventually have to go to some kind of a store (even just a 7-11) in order to show your passport and register your number?

Please read my response once again slowly

I'd recommend to use Kaspersky, or better for all transactions, because it's easy to have an hijacker these days.

Your better half has no chance to see any of your transactions. But she could switch you off. 

Why don't you get your own Sim? Oh, I get it. That she can call you, right?

Old love never dies. Innit? 

On 8/1/2020 at 3:49 PM, BananaBandit said:

I recently decided to leave my better half. and i believe my current smartphone plan is under her name.  

If I still use that same smartphone plan, can she surveil what i do online?   In particular, could she obtain my online banking passwords?

Better than that, she can get your sim reissued to her, use your email, change your passwords and she is in like Derek Flint.