Flight if passport is at embassy?

Are you stuck in Thailand if your passport is at the embassy beingj processed for a renewal?

For Americans there is a backlog of weeks to months at the moment. Curious if my only option may be to overstay if this happens.

7 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

Are you stuck in Thailand if your passport is at the embassy beingj processed for a renewal?

Why would your passport be kept at the embassy?

7 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

For Americans there is a backlog of weeks to months at the moment. Curious if my only option may be to overstay if this happens.

I think you can always get an emergency travel document to travel back home.

They also keep your passport as they renew it. I've never had it returned while the new one was being made. Kind of hard to schedule 90 day immigration visits around sometimes.

11 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

They also keep your passport as they renew it. I've never had it returned while the new one was being made. Kind of hard to schedule 90 day immigration visits around sometimes.

meaning that you cannot travel abroad during the renewal process?

also, there are a number of things for which passport is needed, these must be postponed then?

----

I am luckier,

my embassy is mega flexible, they quickly glance at my passport to see why a new one is needed,

expiry is nigh or clean pages are few or whatever then give it back to me

I supply the necessary information - photo taken etc - then they email me when the new one is ready

• Like 2

Those who anticipate a need to travel during the time taken to get a new passport can usually apply for an additional passport rather than a replacement one. This requires a letter explaining why the additional passport is needed, but any reasonable justification is usually accepted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hal65 said:

You can contact the embassy and get your passport if you need to travel. 

They only keep it if you do a mailed in application If you had done it in person they would of canceled it and given it back to you.

I assume you old passport is still valid