Samui ferry with garbage trucks in accident

Koh Samui News Update (site in Thai language) writes that Raja Ferry #4, loaded with trucks bringing garbage out from Koh Samui, crew and 15 drivers, has an accident (capsized?) August 1st at 10.20 pm (22:20), 10 people should have been rescued according to a posted message about 11:10.

Boat incident at the four islands and five islands Checking with news sources For clarity

22.20 hrs. 01/08/63
Due to the ferry crash
Racha 4 boat carrying garbage from Koh Samui, crashes around the Fourth Island, Haa
Crew with 15 drivers
(Tanker, 10-wheel trailer, 3 vehicles, 2 pickup trucks)
Assistance - Samui water police boat is out to help.

In Google translation

เหตุการณ์ เรือ บริเวณเกาะสี่เกาะห้า กำลังเช็คกับแหล่งข่าว เพื่อความชัดเจนแน่ชัด

22.20 น. 01/08/63
เหตุ เรือเฟอร์รี่ล่ม
เรือราชา 4 ขนขยะออกจากเกาะสมุย ล่มบริเวณ เกาะสี่เกาะห้า
ลูกเรือ พร้อม พนักงานขับรถ 15 คน
(เรือบรรทุกรถพ่วง10 ล้อ จำนวน 3 คัน รถกระบะ 2 คัน)
การให้ความช่วยเหลือ -- เรือตำรวจน้ำสมุยออกทำการช่วยเหลือ

Original post in Thai.

• Sad 2

116779963_3103259939772011_5769194651564

22.00 hrs. On 1 August 2020, the Racha 4 ferry boat incident with the crew departed from Koh Samui heading for Donsak Pier, which occurred at the island of Koh Ha Koh Si (approximately 5 kilometers from the Koh Samui ferry pier

Currently, the governor of Surat Thani Province Command incident assistance At Koh Samui ferry terminal With a sheriff Ko Samui Municipality Ko Samui Police Station Ko Samui Marine Police Marine Pier Ko Samui To help

23.50 9 crew members were assisted by the Marine Police and the ALS team (green code) bringing the victims. Depart from Koh Samui Station Pier Send to Samui hospital

List of victims of the ferry accident (Racha 4)

Admitted to Koh Samui Hospital
1 Mr. Jumnin Buriamas (Tonkol)
2 Mr. Sutthirak Muang-in (Mechanic Motors)
3 Mr. Charoen Phongphancharoen (Mechanic of Motor Vehicles)
4 Mr. Chaikitkit Chimplee (Tarasi)
5 Mr. Kriengsak Chaiyawong (Tarasi)
6 Mr. Anuphon Chankasem (Tarasi)
7 Mr Wirot Jae Huang (Tarasi)
8 Mr. Sarayut To Muangklang (10 wheel driver)
9 Mr Boonchuay Phromthong (10 wheel driver)

Searching
1 Mr. Tevin Surat (Mr Rua)
2 Mr. Sirawut Thongboonyang (Tonkol)
3 Mr. Phacharathiprat (Tarasi)
4 Mr Tiwakorn Na Watchararit (Kulsi)
5 Mrs. Naphat Chanthan (Salesperson)
6 Mr. Chaichan Laosap (10 wheel driver)
7 Mr. Suwit Norasetworachai (Manager of the contractor company (pickup truck)

• Sad 3

Would make sense to have garbage scheduled at night. With a trash mountain growing ever upwards and lots of money to be made shipping it to the mainland, why would they have only three 10 wheel trucks on a car ferry that can hold more? That is why I suspect it to be some special category of waste.

• Like 1

THAILAND: Seven people went missing in the sea and nine others were safely rescued after a ferry was hit by a strong storm and capsized after leaving Koh Samui island, ... was loaded with garbage, three 10-wheel lorries and a pick-up truck

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe due to the dearth of tourists on the island, your 'trash mountain' isn't quite of Himalayan proportions and there's just not that much garbage that needs to be moved daily?

The trash mountain as of Jan 2020 wasn’t going to change much . 3 ten wheel trucks a day wouldn’t slow down this month’s garbage, much less the accumulation from when incinerator stopped functioning.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

I just heard two of the missing were found alive on Koh Tan, one of the nearby five islands. 

Latest sad update from Facebook; the bodies of the captain and the girl operating the onboard shop have been found near a small island. 

• Sad 4

15 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

I just heard two of the missing were found alive on Koh Tan, one of the nearby five islands. 

They did very well to find a small island at night whilst fighting big waves. Well done those folk. Sad about the others.

1 hour ago, islandguy said:

The trash mountain as of Jan 2020 wasn’t going to change much . 3 ten wheel trucks a day wouldn’t slow down this month’s garbage, much less the accumulation from when incinerator stopped functioning.

So 100% less island tourists means no difference in daily island waste?

I see.

i assume this was the standard raja boat they use in the normal daytime sailings with regular passengers? glad it wasn't one of them because they usually have hundreds of vehicles and passengers and the wind this a.m. was pretty crazy

4 hours ago, islandguy said:

Excuse me sir but I think there is a flaw in your logic or should I call it your assumption.

Where in the reports does it say that there is only 3 ten wheel trucks per day transporting garbage?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So 100% less island tourists means no difference in daily island waste?

I see.

You clearly have no idea of the history and volume of Samui’s trash problem, and don’t see. The lives lost in this sad incident are the story, trash mountain is another story. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lom said:

Excuse me sir but I think there is a flaw in your logic or should I call it your assumption.

Where in the reports does it say that there is only 3 ten wheel trucks per day transporting garbage?

It has been reported that this vessel only had three trucks full of garbage and a pickup truck as cargo. That surprised me because there are literally thousands of trucks full of trash at the Samui landfill. While you are correct that many more than 3 trucks a day might be currently hauled away by ferry, and that I did not consider that possibility, trash mountain is very likely still more Matterhorn than molehill.

Sadly it was probably an accident waiting to happen with the state of the Raja ferry fleet. Have used boats to Samui many times but would never get on a Raja ferry even if you paid me. 

Edited by Swimfan
  • Sad 1

URGENT: All ferries between the islands Phangan, Samui, and Tao, and to the mainland have been stopped from today, August 2nd for three days, including till August 4th, by decree from the Governor of Surat Thani.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

If they were found on Koh Taen that ferry was on the way to khanom or really of course. Koh Taen is fairly big island 20 min south of Samui. 

• Confused 1