Does your air con system in Thailand have 'safety cut'

bbabythai

I have zero electrical knowledge and thus asking questions about a proposed new air con system. 

We have to install a few new 48,000 btu air con machines. The electricians have done all wiring for this and lights in the ceiling now and the next step is to run the pipes etc for the new machines in the ceiling before the gypsum is installed. The sparkie installed 5 wires for each new air con system which goes back to the big elec box on the 2nd floor. They said there is no 'safety cut' on that big box for the proposed air con machines. I think he said it was 3 phase or something going back to the box

The air con guy said 'its normal in thailand'. Most of the systems he installs dont have safety cuts he said. 

Is this ok? Any risks? If an electrical anomaly happens then can it cause an incident at the big elec box. I dont want anyone getting hurt. Obviously any user will be using an air con remote to turn on/off the machine. 

thanks again for helping me 

I completely disagree. IMO, in Thailand it's essential to fit a SafeTCut 12 Way big box circuit breaker (or better) to meet above RCD/RCBO standards, because I would normally mistrust ANY Thai electrician, especially an Air Con fitter, to be completely qualified to western standards. Even if the Aircon is minimal risk, there could be some point in the future when you'll need additional or replacement electrical wiring and switches.    

As for the present box - if I read it correctly - you're at risk with your current electricity supply not being set up to safety cut other installations - and as stated above, earthing is essential.  

Bottom line, if you're going to all this trouble setting up an aircon palace, do it properly, and get a recommended qualified electrician expert  - preferably an ex-pat - to advise on the wiring installation. 

Edited by stephenterry
add

I certainly would NOT install a whole-house Safe-T-Cut on a big 3-phase system. One hiccup, dodgy iron etc. and off goes the entire supply.

Much better would be individual RCBO's on "risky" circuits, you or your expert can define "risky". I'd certainly leave an unprotected circuit (maybe 1 or 2 outlets) for the fridge / freezer.

We have four 30mA RCDs in our consumer unit and a couple of 10mA units on things like the pool pump.

@bbabythai Are those monster aircons 3-phase? (5 wires)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I completely disagree. IMO, in Thailand it's essential to fit a SafeTCut 12 Way big box circuit breaker (or better) to meet above RCD/RCBO standards, because I would normally mistrust ANY Thai electrician, especially an Air Con fitter, to be completely qualified to western standards.

What are you disagreeing with?  What "western standards" do you think Thailand electricians should be qualified for?  

15 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

What are you disagreeing with?  What "western standards" do you think Thailand electricians should be qualified for?  

Perhaps AC being a small risk of shock - it may be small but it is there - every filter cleaning you are close or making contact with metal which is often both wet and dirty and has electric wires very close.  But agree three phase whole house would not be a good option in this large a setup.  As for Western standards in the case of RCCB believe use in Thailand should be higher due to bare feet on conductive floors as a starter - no grounds is also a huge issue.  Would never advise not using RCCB here - even for fridge (better loss of food than life).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

A friend of mine has been in the building trade in the UK for decades. His opinion of thai workmanship is that they're 'okay', but not really up to western standards - whatever that is in today's world. I also know from my home building experiences that pipes, wires, and the usual 'chinese' rubbish tools etc are just adequate.

As far as electricity is concerned, it's a life threatening risk, IMO, that needs expert attention, not a bob a job man. And that's not disparaging any thai workers - it's just a fact that the educational system lacks behind the EU/UK standards.

I  dont  like anything without an rccb but then i dont have a large  house  and only  have 1  aircon, this is  my incoming box which is  next to the main  supply from the road I also covered the bare  screw  down ends  with a plastic  cover as  looked  too easy for someone to open this  box and touch them. This  then goes to my  house via 16mm nyy cable  and into the  house  consumer unit, After a lightning strike  nearby  a  few  years  back i added  the surge protection and voltage regulator which ha s stopped my led  lights  failing  way too often  as  voltage  could be  all  over the place.

20200802_101814.jpg

20200802_101943.jpg

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

@stephenterry our OP has a meaty 3-phase supply which has a Safe-T-Cut device protecting some of the circuits. Sub-boards on different floors.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1169154-should-we-replace-the-big-electric-box/

Yes crossy, thats where the new 48k btu mitsubishi air cons will be connected to. Its the big box on the 2nd floor. You asked me  'Are those monster aircons 3-phase? (5 wires)'     the mitsubishi guy said its 3 phase (5 wire) for each machine wired back to the big box but no safety cut. It sounds like its ok??

We will be also installing a smaller air con that requires 3 wires that will be connected down to the smaller new box on the ground floor