Triumph 'not involved' in layoffs, says has no production unit in Thailand

Triumph 'not involved' in layoffs, says has no production unit in Thailand

By The Nation

800_c39365b3312820e.jpg

Triumph Holding AG has denied reports about the company laying off workers, saying it has no production site in Thailand and had no involvement with the case covered by Thai media.

In a statement on Friday, Switzerland-headquartered Triumph said it had handed over its Thai production network, Body Fashion Thailand, in January 2016 to Malaysian textile and apparel entrepreneur, Robert Ng.

Ng is the owner of an internationally represented textile group consisting of around 30 companies and brands. At that time, the Malaysian's network had been a strategic and reliable supplier of Triumph for many years. The network comprised two plants located in Bang Plee (Bangkok) and in Nakhon Sawan, Triumph said.

Triumph’s decision to divest its production centres in Thailand in 2016 was part of its long-term strategy to restructure the company’s overall global supply chain, allowing the company to focus more on its customers and market challenges, the company said.

As part of this measure, Triumph had also disengaged from all its European productions sites. In Thailand, all 2,757 employees and management were taken over, and there were no lay-offs of personnel or management, the statement said.

Triumph has a successful local sales business in Thailand. The company conducts sales and marketing activities via a local office in Bangkok, coordinating all respective activities for the Thai market.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30392284

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-02

• Haha 1

I guess someone goofed up. Yes, this has nothing to do with Triumph motorbikes, which has three factories here. 

According to what I have read Triumph International started moving out of Thailand back in 2009. At that time they employed over 4,000 people here. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It's just dawned on me. This is not Triumph Motorcycles, but Triumph who made bras, etc?

Two days ago, when original report appeared on Thaivisa, this formed part of the 5th post on the thread, posted by "Premiumlane":

"Pretty sure it is the garment factory.........."

Overwhelming predominance of female workers, shown in the photo accompanying the report, seemed a pretty good clue:

800_81fccfa6b0ab494.jpg?v=1596179699

Hence I took no further interest in the "story", other than to consider it in relation to the fate of my mates Thai female friend........who, along with a lot of other workers at Japanese undergarment manufacturer "Wacoal" (Bangkok operation), also got laid off in the last couple of weeks.

Edited by Enoon

yes triumph not guilty of laying off thai workforce.We sold them down the river years ago to a malasian so we could look ethical.

Also muddy the waters why our products are expensive when produced on the cheap.

All over the world for many years large companies have followed the American model of not employing people directly instead you work for a third party so if company decides you're face don't fit or they want to change course its an agency who does firing great for bosses less power to workforce

• Like 2
  • Confused 1