Australia's Victoria to toughen coronavirus lockdown: media

rooster59

Australia's Victoria to toughen coronavirus lockdown: media

2020-08-02T000744Z_1_LYNXMPEG71000_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-AUSTRALIA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Medical personnel administer tests for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) at a pop-up testing centre, as the state of New South Wales grapples with an outbreak of new cases, in Sydney, Australia, July 30, 2020. REUTERS/Loren Elliott

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Australia's Victoria state will toughen its social distancing measures in the coming days as the country's second-most populous state struggles to contain the novel coronavirus, media reported on Sunday.

Victoria's capital of Melbourne is already under a reimposed six-week stay-home order and reported record numbers of new infections last week. Authorities warned of more restrictions ahead.

Melbourne newspapers reported that plans going into effect on Wednesday would restrict movement for six weeks and close all but essential businesses.

Australia has fared far better than many other countries in keeping the coronavirus from spreading, at a high economic cost. The country has recorded around 17,300 cases total and 200 deaths, but the recent surge in Victoria has proven difficult to contain.

At present, Melbournians are allowed to go out for work, essential shopping, medical care and exercise, but under the new restrictions they would have to stay within 5 kilometers (3 miles) of their homes, with only one person from each household allowed to go to grocery shopping.

The measures would limit public transport options and restaurants, which allow now for delivery and take-away options would be limited to contactless pick-up orders, the newspapers reported.

Movement restrictions and business operations would also be limited in the rest of the state, but not to the same level as in Melbourne.

The Age newspaper reported, citing sources, that Victoria officials and politicians worked late into Saturday on the details of the next stage of the restrictions, which could be announced Sunday or Monday.

The state's media office was not immediately available to comment, but Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews was expected to hold his daily briefing later on Sunday.

(Reporting by Lidia Kelly; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-08-02

5 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

The Bogans wont like this.................

***For the Non colonials

Bogan: “A lower class inhabitant, usually of South-Eastern Australia. Generally 'dim-witted', Bogans are well know for having poor and vulgar language and typically found in rural areas or outer, lower class, suburbs.”

wow .....  is that the best you can come up with   ! ....  your answer has absolutely nothing to do with the Topic heading.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

No Steven100 nothing whatsoever to do with the topic heading --like 70% of most posters.....

And yes , that is the best I can come up with...............:w00t:

---

Just out of sheer curiosity ---where are you from..........

yep ... i'm not a southerner, northern NSW ( they call it god's country ) New England area. 

I must admit ... bogans have crept up into places like Logan and Ipswich.    lol

• Like 1

Dan Andrews and his Labor government had already bankrupted Victoria pre Covid, sand now the incompetence of his government has allowed the spread of this virus when every other state had it controlled.  He will leave a legacy of the state premier who came very close to bankrupting the whole country.

A cautionary tale on the talents and skill sets of Labor and left wing parties everywhere.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

55 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

The Bogans wont like this.................

***For the Non colonials

Bogan: “A lower class inhabitant, usually of South-Eastern Australia. Generally 'dim-witted', Bogans are well know for having poor and vulgar language and typically found in rural areas or outer, lower class, suburbs.” ----Google

New Australian airline 'Boganaire' ready for take off

So about 22% of the population. Or should we include those of average intelligence who hang out with the bogans? ????

I have a few friends in Sydney who are saying they aren't wearing masks, I said, you gotta be kidding, protect yourselves, the masks might help, they might not help, but you got nothing to lose, cover up when out and about, thankfully my daughter gets it as does her boyfriend, so it's not just the young that have got their knickers in a not, so do the mid 50's ones that I know of.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, geoff65 said:

The only one allowing the virus to spread are the f..kwits that wouldn't follow the laws put in place and for the rest of your post its just utter <deleted>.

Keeping up with current affairs is not everyone's cup of tea, so I'll explain it.  Every other state used police/army to secure quarantine hotels.  Dan Andrews and Labor used untrained private security, who were consorting in all manner of ways, including sexually, with those supposedly in quarantine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mick501 said:

Keeping up with current affairs is not everyone's cup of tea, so I'll explain it.  Every other state used police/army to secure quarantine hotels.  Dan Andrews and Labor used untrained private security, who were consorting in all manner of ways, including sexually, with those supposedly in quarantine.

Who do you think contracted the private security guards, it would have been government purchasing dept, not politicians. 

Edited by simple1

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

Who do you think contracted the private security guards, it would have been government purchasing dept, not politicians. 

It matters not who was part of the implementation mechanism.  It is the decision not to use police/military that was fraught with peril and poor judgement, and that blame lays squarely at the table of Dan Andrews and some of his ministers.

Edited by Mick501
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mick501 said:

It matters not who was part of the implementation mechanism.  It is the decision not to use police/military that was fraught with peril and poor judgement, and that blame lays squarely at the table of Dan Andrews and some of his ministers.

No idea what the requirements were, but it seems the faults are the responsibility of the successful bidders hiring unqualified personnel. Having worked in sales to State and Federal government Departments I do not believe the selection process would have been at Minister level. There's going to be an enquiry so the detail will eventually be in the public domain.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/news/60-minutes-australia-inside-victorias-massive-hotel-quarantine-bungle/news-story/7af3b9cfd4c3de024954350f4388397a

Edited by simple1

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

No idea what the requirements were, but it seems the faults are the responsibility of the successful bidders hiring unqualified personnel. Having worked in sales to State and Federal government Departments I do not believe the selection process would have been at Minister level. There's going to be an enquiry so the detail will eventually be in the public domain.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/news/60-minutes-australia-inside-victorias-massive-hotel-quarantine-bungle/news-story/7af3b9cfd4c3de024954350f4388397a

That would be the leftist folk at 60 minutes trying to distract from it being the fault of the leftist government.  The Victoria police union didn't want police doing the job, and whilst the government of every other state has a healthy relationship with their police forces, the Victorian government evidently doesn't have that kind of relationship.  

The people they shoehorned in to doing the job without adequate training were of course going to fail.  Only a fool (Dan Andrews and co) could not see that as a likely consequence.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mick501 said:

That would be the leftist folk at 60 minutes<SNIP>

You're joking right? I personally know the Producer at 60 Minutes, to say 60 Minutes in Australia is 'lefist' is ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The equation is pretty simple. You are either gonna pay now (Sweden), or pay later (which everyone does).

If you pay later, add on top of your fee those that will suffer and die because of the lockdown. 

The equation is best when you pay now. Wear masks, slow the spread, protect the vulnerable, and you will be much better off in the long run.

Australia is actually proof. They had this thing almost 100% contained by way of strict measures early on. They paid a lot, and received nothing for that. We are seeing that now. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 2:05 PM, 4MyEgo said:

I have a few friends in Sydney who are saying they aren't wearing masks, I said, you gotta be kidding, protect yourselves, the masks might help, they might not help, but you got nothing to lose, cover up when out and about, thankfully my daughter gets it as does her boyfriend, so it's not just the young that have got their knickers in a not, so do the mid 50's ones that I know of.

Idiots. Maskholes.

Australia nearly control. Now be impossible. 

5A54A448-AEDA-4BB2-B866-EBB91345F51D.thumb.png.96c8d11338e9e9421b8def7f55146f69.pngF0AE4DD5-5670-4678-8B36-6ADB2E889858.thumb.png.6ed58b6864ade41b149c83a90f9189a4.png