Seven people missing after Koh Samui ferry capsizes

rooster59

Seven people missing after Koh Samui ferry capsizes

sami.JPG

Image: Thairath

Seven people are missing after a cargo ferry travelling from Koh Samui capsized on Saturday night.

The ferry, operated by the Raja Ferry Co, got into difficulty at around 10pm as it headed to Donsak pier.

The ferry was carrying a 10 wheel trailer, 3 garbage trucks and two pick up trucks. It wasn’t immediately exactly how many people were on board.

Thairath on Sunday said a total of 9 people had been rescued while 7 others were still missing. 

Officials said a full investigation will be launched into the incident but it is likely the ferry got into difficulty in strong waves. 

On Friday, Thailand’s Meteorological Department warned of storms and heavy weather nationwide.

This is a developing news story.

Source: Thairath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-02

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

R.I.P indeed.

But "Business as usual" for Thailand. Prospective Chinese tourists will be interested. And I get to worry that I am taking too many holidays to Koh Chang.

it's not the passenger ferry that tourists usually take. Last time I took the ferry was 1991 and I wouldn't do it again.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sahibji said:

hope the ferry was carrying suitable number of protective equipment like life jackets to give passengers a chance of survival.

I have not been on a Raja ferry for a while, but I am sure that they do carry lifejackets. Whether the passengers wear them or not is another thing.

Looking at some photos on another thread, I cannot see any lifejackets on the people in the water.

9 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Or how about the captain of the boat ignored the bad conditions and still went ahead ?  

Not sure he necessarily did based on conditions in Samui at Lipa Noi Pier less than an hour earlier. Quite calm. 

• Like 2

The problem i noticed 20 years ago was the ferries will go no matter what, money before safety always.

Also 20 years ago a ferry went down in the same area, rough seas, overloaded with concrete, hits a wave, concrete moves and ferry goes straight under, 56 on board

Edited by scubascuba3

Raja has alot of very old boats. Seatran is highly preferable and slightly faster. 

Wonder how this could have happened. It is the Gulf. Shallow waters. Near the port. An issue wjrh the boat itself? Poorly loaded? 

Tragic. Hope the missing people are found. Maybe they swam to shore and are unaccounted for? 

4 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

R.I.P indeed.

But "Business as usual" for Thailand. Prospective Chinese tourists will be interested. And I get to worry that I am taking too many holidays to Koh Chang.

Some of the Raja boats are old Chinese 2nd / 3rd / 4th hand vessels.

The Chinese should feel very much like home on those, though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

I did not know the ferries ran after 7pm. sad news i wonder how good the inspections for safety are on the  Raja company? 

I guess this was a special...Samui is still trying to get rid of all the surplus rubbish that previous admins have allowed to accumulate.

If they'd dealt with the rubbish properly, this service would never have been needed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

Some of the Raja boats are old Chinese 2nd / 3rd / 4th hand vessels.

The Chinese should feel very much like home on those, though

Age is one thing, but decks without bulkhead are extremely dangerous if water gets in. Imagine several tonnes of water and vehicles sloshing about.....it can overturn a vessel in seconds..

This applies to ALL ferries to the islands of Thailand.

• Like 1