Jump to content
BANGKOK
peterdwje2

If account dips below 800000 shortly after Non O-A extension based on retirement

Recommended Posts

An FD can have multiple sub accounts within the same book, usually with account number extensions like 001, 002,003, etc..  you can never add to an existing sub account, until it rolls over, but you can buy a new FD at current rates any time..that is how I was able to get a balance forward for IO, I just bought a new 10,000 6 month fixed on the date I needed my new balance for immigration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was always of the belief that the 800,000 had to be in the bank 3 months before the extension was due and didn't realise that it was a requirement for it to be their 3 months after also. What is the point I ask myself.

We are supposed to have the cash their to show that we can support ourselves, but if you have a need to use it, for instance after a situation that requires immediate financial outlay, you are penalised. Crazy. Or am I missing something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, narisarasgroove said:

I was always of the belief that the 800,000 had to be in the bank 3 months before the extension was due and didn't realise that it was a requirement for it to be their 3 months after also. What is the point I ask myself.

We are supposed to have the cash their to show that we can support ourselves, but if you have a need to use it, for instance after a situation that requires immediate financial outlay, you are penalised. Crazy. Or am I missing something.

One hint is maybe that those on retirement extensions that had an O-A are required to have insurance that matches exactly extensions to non o retirement. 

800k hospital cover and 400k outpatient.

BTW it's 2 months prior

Edited by DrJack54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, narisarasgroove said:

I was always of the belief that the 800,000 had to be in the bank 3 months before the extension was due and didn't realise that it was a requirement for it to be their 3 months after also. What is the point I ask myself.

We are supposed to have the cash their to show that we can support ourselves, but if you have a need to use it, for instance after a situation that requires immediate financial outlay, you are penalised. Crazy. Or am I missing something.

It was more BS they started last year..likely stemming from Jomtien, where broke retirees were known to share deposit money, as well as agents providing the money, and taking it out the next day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

that's strange.  are the clerks misinformed?  is it a special type of fixed account?

i've got bangkok bank accounts and sometimes add/subtract as needed to the fixed account, not always according to the interest schedule.

accounts are accessible online, so no need to visit the branch for this.

 

is the 795k also in a bangkok bank account?  that sort of transfer would show immediately, don't know about trying to transfer from another bank.  might get confusing for the io's with three accounts from two banks.

 

 

 

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

 

Taking the clerk at her word (which is totally incorrect) if your on an extension based on retirement, which doesn't permit you to work, then why did they allow you to open a fixed term account in the first place.

 

You need to speak to the manager, HQ in Bangkok, or open a Fixed Term at another bank.

The one fixed term account I have I opened with a branch manager who said she was giving me exception to the rule. But she is no longer there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A yellowbook can sometimes overcome the lack of WP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again for helpful replies.

The three branches that turned down my attempt to open new fixed account all mentioned a work permit requirement. One showed me document below. I have not tried (US) embassy, but can't get acceptable "reference letter" from others on that list. Nor is it clear what such letter would state.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Fixed-Deposit-Account

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your OK. 

I use an FD account and savings a/c

Means 2 bank letters and bankbook copies but all good.

 

Is that at CW? Have you been doing that each year? If so, it is reassuring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, peterdwje2 said:

 

The one fixed term account I have I opened with a branch manager who said she was giving me exception to the rule. But she is no longer there. 

whereabouts are you located?

do you own a condo?

have you tried the silom office, 2nd floor?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

that's strange.  are the clerks misinformed?  is it a special type of fixed account?

i've got bangkok bank accounts and sometimes add/subtract as needed to the fixed account, not always according to the interest schedule.

accounts are accessible online, so no need to visit the branch for this.

 

is the 795k also in a bangkok bank account?  that sort of transfer would show immediately, don't know about trying to transfer from another bank.  might get confusing for the io's with three accounts from two banks.

 

 

I don't know if they misinformed but three branches were clear that I could not add to existing fixed account, and needed work permit to open any new one. And no, it's a regular fixed account, not special. You mean you add money to the principal of your existing fixed account online? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

whereabouts are you located?

do you own a condo?

have you tried the silom office, 2nd floor?

 

In Bangkok and don't own condo. I have not tried Silom office. You have opened FD without work permit there? Was anything other than passport required?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, peterdwje2 said:

Is that at CW? Have you been doing that each year? If so, it is reassuring.

CW last October. Zero issue.

I did require 2 bank letters and CW want see activity on the day. I made 2 deposits. Note for FD a/c the min deposit was 1000baht. 

Edited by DrJack54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, peterdwje2 said:

In Bangkok and don't own condo. I have not tried Silom office. You have opened FD without work permit there? Was anything other than passport required?

I opened an FD account last year. I did get run around. My own bank didn't have a clue. Bangkok bank wanted something from my embassy along with something from my AU bank. Absolute rubbish.

These were main branches in Nanna area.

Went to green K bank with passport and lease. Think that was all. Opened FD a/c and savings on the spot zero issues. 

You need shop around. This bank account topic comes up often

Edited by DrJack54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peterdwje2 said:

I don't know if they misinformed but three branches were clear that I could not add to existing fixed account, and needed work permit to open any new one. And no, it's a regular fixed account, not special. You mean you add money to the principal of your existing fixed account online? 

just logged on to bualuang to check.  currently set up to xfer online into fixed, but not out of fixed.  i have xfer'd online into fixed twice.  looking at my bank books, the last time was june 2019 to season for my september extension application.  transferred in while i was still in china, so yeah, online.

 

 

FUNDS TRANSFER

 

Transfer funds between your Bangkok Bank accounts

Transfer funds to a third party that has accounts with Bangkok Bank

Transfer funds to a third party that has accounts with any other bank

 

You can optionally schedule funds transfers – immediate transfer, future transfer and regular transfer – for your Savings account, Fixed Deposit account, Sinmathaya Subthawee account and Current account. 

 

Note: Deposits into a Fixed Deposit account or Sinmathaya Subthawee account via Bualuang iBanking can be made between 6:00a.m. and 11:00p.m.

 

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Bualuang-iBanking

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, peterdwje2 said:

In Bangkok and don't own condo. I have not tried Silom office. You have opened FD without work permit there? Was anything other than passport required?

they wanted "embassy letter" or work permit or condo deed or unobtainable swift reference.

 

they accepted a "free to marry" certificate from the embassy that had my bangkok address.  (didn't use the certificate of singleness for matrimony, so at least that wasn't a total waste.)  guess it depends on the clerk's mood that day.  silom should be able to set you up to access and xfer into your fixed account online.

 

once you get a fixed account, you don't need to make deposits to show activity for immigration.  when you get your bank statement at the CW bangkok bank branch, the clerk will do a hard update with the current date and account balance that will match the statement.

 

 

Edited by ChouDoufu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...