BANGKOK
peterdwje2

If account dips below 800000 shortly after Non O-A extension based on retirement

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

@Peter Denis hey Peter. I have been waiting for some update re you post above. I deal with CW and last year only needed photocopy bank pages along with back letter etc. I rarely update bb. 

It appears now I will also require bank statements for 2 accounts (perhaps not for the FD account). My question how long does it take to obtain statements. I recall they can only do the recent 6 months quickly and the 6 prior to that takes longer.

Also recall it wasn't cheap. Can anyone advise re the process. Ta

Reading posts like this makes me glad that I left and don't have to comply with their expat hating stupid regulations any more.

No wonder westerners were not going/ staying in LOS as much before Corona struck.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

@Peter Denis hey Peter. I have been waiting for some update re you post above. I deal with CW and last year only needed photocopy bank pages along with back letter etc. I rarely update bb. 

It appears now I will also require bank statements for 2 accounts (perhaps not for the FD account). My question how long does it take to obtain statements. I recall they can only do the recent 6 months quickly and the 6 prior to that takes longer.

Also recall it wasn't cheap. Can anyone advise re the process. Ta

The 12-month bank statement has to be ordered from the Headquarter of your local bank branche.  That can take up to a week, so the same day bank-documents collection and 1-year extension application is not possible anymore.  You would need to ask your local bank at least 1 week before you are going to do your 1-year extension application to order that 12-month bank statement from bank Headquarters.   

Local bank branches only keep the account-data for 6 months (and then they are transferred to Headquarters) and so they can only provide 6-month bank statements.  Of course you could order a 6-month bank statement in the middle of the year at your local bank and do same when your 1-year extension is due for renewal  Or you might need three of such 6-month statements that are 'overlapping' but ensure that you cover the full 12-months.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Reading posts like this makes me glad that I left and don't have to comply with their expat hating stupid regulations any more.

No wonder westerners were not going/ staying in LOS as much before Corona struck.

To each their own. I love Thailand and appreciate how easy it is to live here. Some people just love to find fault 

11 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The 12-month bank statement has to be ordered from the Headquarter of your local bank branche.  That can take up to a week, so the same day bank-documents collection and 1-year extension application is not possible anymore.  You would need to ask your local bank at least 1 week before you are going to do your 1-year extension application to order that 12-month bank statement from bank Headquarters.   

Local bank branches only keep the account-data for 6 months (and then they are transferred to Headquarters) and so they can only provide 6-month bank statements.  Of course you could order a 6-month bank statement in the middle of the year at your local bank and do same when your 1-year extension is due for renewal  Or you might need three of such 6-month statements that are 'overlapping' but ensure that you cover the full 12-months.

This really depends on which bank you use ... I use SCB and my local branch here in Bangkok will issue a 12 month bank statement instantly without going through their head office ... I know that Bangkok bank branches will only issue the 12 month statement through their head office hence the delay.

You would need to check with your local branch first to get a definitive answer on the time frame for obtaining the 12 month statement from your bank.

• Thanks 1

I am using the 65000/month method until my account reaches the 800,000 level.  At my last extension (Udonthani I/O) I discovered that one month last year, due to the time delay and a weekend, although I initiated the transfer in what I thought was enough time, it wasn't posted to my Thai bank account until the second of the following month.  Even though I could document when I initiated it it was disallowed and I was charged an TB18000  "fine" to get my extension.  (THAT) won't happen again!) Suggesting you might face the same or similar situation.

• Thanks 2

people don't have 800k on a bank account, not to be touched, getting almost zero interest, just for immigration ?

come on

just kidding

25 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Local bank branches only keep the account-data for 6 months (and then they are transferred to Headquarters) and so they can only provide 6-month ....

Not true at all banks.

My local branch of Kasikorn had no difficulty providing me a 12 month statement on the spot 

5 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

people don't have 800k on a bank account, not to be touched, getting almost zero interest, just for immigration ?

come on

Of course they do but not zero interest. Normal FD rates. 

It is easier than trying to keep track of how much of it you are allowed to spend and when. Especially since you can only ever spend half of it and that, only for 6-7 months of the year.

As the OP demonstrates it is easy to slip up and fall below required threshholds if withdrawing from the account used to meet the lump sum requirement.

People who don't have 800k  in discretionary  savings would usually do better to use the monthly income method (which has its own hassles unless you are from a country that still issues income letters).

• Like 1

Bangkok bank passbook update machines  , and presumably others, will print a consolidated entry if you have several transactions over a period of time without updating your passbook. So if you have not updated your book to show that low balance, leave it for a while (3 months, I think?) then update it and it will look as if you had 800k+ all the time.

18 minutes ago, Udon Tom said:

I am using the 65000/month method until my account reaches the 800,000 level.  At my last extension (Udonthani I/O) I discovered that one month last year, due to the time delay and a weekend, although I initiated the transfer in what I thought was enough time, it wasn't posted to my Thai bank account until the second of the following month.  Even though I could document when I initiated it it was disallowed and I was charged an TB18000  "fine" to get my extension.  (THAT) won't happen again!) Suggesting you might face the same or similar situation.

It would have been cheaper to do a border-run, than paying that BS 18.000 THB fine.

And there are reports of IOs not willing to handle your application in case of not meeting the financial requirements, and telling you to do exactly that.

The border-run scenario simply consists of hopping over the border, then return VisaExempt and then apply for a NEW 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, and in the last month of those 90 days then apply for the 1-year extension of stay. 

9 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Bangkok bank passbook update machines  , and presumably others, will print a consolidated entry if you have Aseveral transactions over a period of time without updating your passbook. So if you have not updated your book to show that low balance, leave it for a while (3 months, I think?) then update it and it will look as if you had 800k+ all the time.

And that's exactly why Immigration now also requires the 12-month bank statement which will show ALL transactions during the 12 month period.

Just now, Peter Denis said:

And that's exactly why Immigration now also requires the 12-month bank statement which will show ALL transactions during the 12 month period.

I only used copies of my books in December, at Nonthaburi.  Had them stamp the copies.  And the letter.

I am wondering what hoops I'll have to jump through when I renew mine in Sept ...I went to my bank to transfer money from one account to another (Same Bank) to top up to 800000 Baht ...  but  the stupid girl at the bank transferred it    wrongly making my visa account drop below 400000 baht ...the mistake was rectify within 3 minutes ,,,but it still  shows in my Bank book that my money dropped  below 400000 baht (if only for 3 minutes)... I have all the receipts to show the times of the rectification of this error .... but I am still expecting aggro when I apply for my next extension ..  

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2020 at 9:54 AM, peterdwje2 said:

I did my annual extension last week at CW. Then two days ago I was getting cash to buy something and inadvertently withdrew down to balance of 795,000. I've read I need to keep 800,000 for three months after extension. I will make deposit today to push it back up. But I worry this will cause me problem for next year's extension. Anything I can do to fix this now? Thanks.

Make plans to use an agent for next years extension

12 minutes ago, banglay said:

I am wondering what hoops I'll have to jump through when I renew mine in Sept ...I went to my bank to transfer money from one account to another (Same Bank) to top up to 800000 Baht ...  but  the stupid girl at the bank transferred it    wrongly making my visa account drop below 400000 baht ...the mistake was rectify within 3 minutes ,,,but it still  shows in my Bank book that my money dropped  below 400000 baht (if only for 3 minutes)... I have all the receipts to show the times of the rectification of this error .... but I am still expecting aggro when I apply for my next extension ..  

See post #59 above.