If account dips below 800000 shortly after Non O-A extension based on retirement

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

@Peter Denis hey Peter. I have been waiting for some update re you post above. I deal with CW and last year only needed photocopy bank pages along with back letter etc. I rarely update bb. 

It appears now I will also require bank statements for 2 accounts (perhaps not for the FD account). My question how long does it take to obtain statements. I recall they can only do the recent 6 months quickly and the 6 prior to that takes longer.

Also recall it wasn't cheap. Can anyone advise re the process. Ta

I did my annual Non O-A extension couple of weeks ago, and they only wanted bank letter and photocopy of updated bank book pages (I included one year's worth but not sure how long actually required). I did get the bank statement showing 6 months of transactions (basically same as bank book with a few more details) just in case, but it was not needed. At Bangkok Bank downstairs, each document cost 100 baht and total wait was 10 minutes. I don't know about statement for full year.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, peterdwje2 said:

did my annual Non O-A extension couple of weeks ago, and they only wanted bank letter and photocopy of updated bank book pages (I included one year's worth but not sure how long actually required).

Thanks Peter. I also deal with CW. I will obtain the bank statements as I will be applying in last week of extension due to travel and can't risk a rejection. As Peter Denis points out above, the requirement of bank statements may become common place. Better safe than sorry.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks Peter. I also deal with CW. I will obtain the bank statements as I will be applying in last week of extension due to travel and can't risk a rejection. As Peter Denis points out above, the requirement of bank statements may become common place. Better safe than sorry.

Hi drJack,

Delved into the issue somewhat deeper, and it boils down to differences Bank procedures as well as IO requirements.

When you are banking with a Thai Banks HQ branch (as good as always Bangkok-based), there won't be any problem for them to provide you with the 12-month bank-statement on the spot.

At local branches of your bank, it will depend whether the staff have access to the codes/passwords to access the HQ account, and if so they will also be able to directly print a 12-month statement.

But at certain bank-branches not even the manager will have access to the HQ accounts, and it's all part of the training, or lack of it and on a 'need to know' basis.

Most branch staff will have to order the 12-month statements from HQ, which might take up to a week before it is available at your local branche.

And then of course, not all IOs require a 12-month bank statement (yet) when applying for the 1-year extension of stay, but it is surely becoming a more 'common' requirement at many IOs for such a 1-year extension application.

>> So, better be safe than sorry and prepare for the worst case scenario (that your IO requires it and that your bank branche needs to order it from HQs).

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Make plans to use an agent for next years extension

2 hours ago, banglay said:

Can you explain your reasoning please... "to use a agent" 

@banglay Not a good idea IMHO to use an agent for the purpose of evading financial requirements, even if only for 3 minutes. Doing so might come back to bite you in the derriere at some point in the future were the Immigration Bureau bigwigs to mount a shakedown of your local office with the aim of weeding out bent IO's and complicit agents, as has happened recently at Nonthaburi. Maybe your best course of action would be to check with your office ASAP whether these crucial 3 minutes could be overlooked without the need for any "supplementary bent IO fee" to be paid over and above the standard 1,900 THB.

On 8/2/2020 at 10:04 AM, Tanoshi said:

Always safer to keep the 800K in a Fixed Term account (no debit card) than in a Savings account mixed with your expenditures for living expenses.

Yeah, it's not so smart having ฿817,000 in the account and haven't paid the rent + bills. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OJAS said:

@banglay Not a good idea IMHO to use an agent for the purpose of evading financial requirements, even if only for 3 minutes. Doing so might come back to bite you in the derriere at some point in the future were the Immigration Bureau bigwigs to mount a shakedown of your local office with the aim of weeding out bent IO's and complicit agents, as has happened recently at Nonthaburi. Maybe your best course of action would be to check with your office ASAP whether these crucial 3 minutes could be overlooked without the need for any "supplementary bent IO fee" to be paid over and above the standard 1,900 THB.

The immigration officer has to be in a very good mood to overlook that OP went below 800k straight after the application. Especially when the new rule about keeping the 800k in the account is only 17 months old. If he was staying in Pattaya, he would have to do the 90 days check. I haven't read any reports yet about someone going below 800k within next 90 days after the application in Pattaya/Jomtien. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Jomtien Immigration accepts copies of the bank book (it must be updated every month) 1 year back to the date for the last application for the 1 year extension if using the money in the bank method. If the bank book isn't properly updated a 12 months bank statement must be used. I used copies of my bank book late in May when I did my 1 year extension. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2020 at 12:31 PM, peterdwje2 said:

Actually, I have two others from Bangkok Bank -- one savings (14,000 baht) and the other fixed (100,000).  So I should be okay?

Tanoshi -- I have tried to open new fixed account just for that purpose (the one I mentioned above is from long time ago) but several branches said work permit was required.

And thanks to everyone else for helpful replies.

You could have mentioned in your opening post that you had other accounts in the same bank with a total of >800k. Then there's no problem what so ever at immigration. 

5 hours ago, banglay said:

I am wondering what hoops I'll have to jump through when I renew mine in Sept ...I went to my bank to transfer money from one account to another (Same Bank) to top up to 800000 Baht ...  but  the stupid girl at the bank transferred it    wrongly making my visa account drop below 400000 baht ...the mistake was rectify within 3 minutes ,,,but it still  shows in my Bank book that my money dropped  below 400000 baht (if only for 3 minutes)... I have all the receipts to show the times of the rectification of this error .... but I am still expecting aggro when I apply for my next extension ..  

That shouldn't be a problem if was to a different account with the same bank.

You can provide more than one accounts details to meet the requirements.

However you may need to provide both sets of Passbooks/statements for each account and you should make clear to the bank that due to their error you will only pay for one statement (if applicable).

The standard letter, can incorporate all your account numbers and balances at no extra cost.

My branch do this as standard practice  now due to past errors and having to issue new letters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Sorry Jack I haven't read through all the posts.

Are you using the income or funds in the bank method.

If income, which bank, method of transfer and are passbook codes coded as FTT.

If funds, in a Fixed term or Savings account.

Just now, Tanoshi said:

Funds in the bank. I actually have 600k+ in FD and 200k+ in savings. Originally when I did that I regretted not just putting the 800k+ in FD account. After this coming extension I will just put the 800k+ into FD and be done with it.

34 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Funds in the bank. I actually have 600k+ in FD and 200k+ in savings. Originally when I did that I regretted not just putting the 800k+ in FD account. After this coming extension I will just put the 800k+ into FD and be done with it.

Cheers.

For the 600K in an FD account just an update of the Passbook will be sufficient.

The only transaction will be an addition of interest and tax deducted, leaving the balance, so very easy for an IO to determine the funds have been in all year, (I suspect there preferred method).

The 200K in Savings is different, because they will be looking for proof the of the balance throughout the year, in particular it remained at 200K + for 3 months after your previous extension and 200K + for the 2 month period prior to the date you apply. (They're gonna love you. lol)

Going through an updated Passbook shouldn't be, but quite often becomes an issue, depending on the number of pages. Personally if it were me I'd request a 12 month bank statement (easier to read the separate balance column) at least a week before you intend to apply.

You can request the standard letter, detailing both accounts, no problem.

Next year, if you can afford to leave 800K in all year around, simplifies it for the IO's at extension time and better interests rate for you a 12 month FTD. (Fixed term deposit).

Alternatively, if you want to withdraw down on the 800K funds, open a 6 months FTD account 3 months prior to the extension renewal date (800K), then 3 months after obtaining the extension, withdraw 400K and transfer the 400K to a new 6 month FTD account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

ABSOLUTELY.

Don't know why it has to be in a fixed term account though. I kept mine in an ordinary account, but never touched it till I was leaving for good..

In a standard Savings account the interest rate is a standard 0.5%.

In a 12 month Fixed Term Deposit account the interest rate is typically 1.5%.

You can obtain up to 3 years FTD accounts giving a typical interest rate of 1.7%.

If you can afford to put the funds away, why not make your money work for you.

14 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

In a standard Savings account the interest rate is a standard 0.5%.

In a 12 month Fixed Term Deposit account the interest rate is typically 1.5%.

You can obtain up to 3 years FTD accounts giving a typical interest rate of 1.7%.

If you can afford to put the funds away, why not make your money work for you.

The 0,5% on a savings account is gone since a few months back, so is also the 1,5% on a FDA. I think the interest now is ~0,75-1,0% on a FDA. 

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Bangkok Bank uses the bank code FTT, not every bank. 

19 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The 0,5% on a savings account is gone since a few months back, so is also the 1,5% on a FDA. I think the interest now is ~0,75-1,0% on a FDA. 

Thanks I haven't checked recently, but it doesn't surprise me.

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Bangkok Bank uses the bank code FTT, not every bank. 

Depends on the method of transfer. If using TW and the transfer goes through one of the other partner branches, namely KK or TMB, it isn't coded as FTT in Bangkok bank, but as an SMT (smart) transfer.

You'd then require a Foreign Exchange Transfer form (FET) from either KK or TMB in that case, although Immigration will often accept the TW PDF receipts as proof of overseas transfers.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

For all you TV cowboys trying to game the system (e.g., for the 800K baht in the bank for a retirement extension) by using agents:

Consider the following:

The 800K has NOTHING to do with the amount that Immo expects you to have to live for a year in Thailand.  Nor the 65K/month income.

Instead, those amounts are set by Immo to screen out those ex-pats of lesser financial means.

If they really wanted to see that you spend at least 65K/month/year while living here, they would check your bank account withdrawals -- which they never do at Chaeng Wattana.   (Although the esteemed Mod Sheryl has reported that Immo Prachinburi does, indeed, look at spending down on the 800K -- though that may have changed, of late). 

My point is -- if you are ever caught trying to circumvent those financial requirement hurdles by using an agent....bye bye.

Edited by TaoNow
mispelling a Mod's name

3 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

For all you TV cowboys trying to game the system (e.g., for the 800K baht in the bank for a retirement extension) by using agents:

Consider the following:

The 800K has NOTHING to do with the amount that Immo expects you to have to live for a year in Thailand.  Nor the 65K/month income.

Instead, those amounts are set by Immo to screen out those ex-pats of lesser financial means.

If they really wanted to see that you spend at leat 65K baht a year while living here, they would check your bank account withdrawals -- which they never do at Chaeng Wattana.   (Although the esteemed Mod Cheryl has reported that Immo Prachinburi does, indeed, look at spending down on the 800K -- though that may have changed, of late). 

My point is -- if you are ever caught trying to circumvent those financial requirement hurdles by using an agent....bye bye.

"My point is -- if you are ever caught trying to circumvent those financial requirement hurdles by using an agent....bye bye."

People uses agents all the time to circumvent those financial requirements. Pay ~25k and you will get a year extension even if not having half of those sums. I know several who pays an agent every year. They are not close to meet the requirements. 

And 'Max,' once there is a rotation of Immo staff who are not in on the scam, then the game is up in that particular Immo office. Increasingly there is evidence that Immo authorities are starting to crack down on rogue officers and offices.  Caveat emptor.

22 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

That shouldn't be a problem if was to a different account with the same bank.

You can provide more than one accounts details to meet the requirements.

However you may need to provide both sets of Passbooks/statements for each account and you should make clear to the bank that due to their error you will only pay for one statement (if applicable).

The standard letter, can incorporate all your account numbers and balances at no extra cost.

My branch do this as standard practice  now due to past errors and having to issue new letters.

Thought I'd drive the 24 km to my local Immigration office ( Pattaya) to get a definitive answer to my situation .. and The lady who deals with the paperwork re:- Retirement extensions said ... As long as  all the account involved are from the same bank and it all happened on the same day  there is NOT problem ... Just bring all the bank books involved and copy of the pages in question  ...

Just hope she does change her mind in the next 6 weeks lol

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 3:08 PM, banglay said:

Thought I'd drive the 24 km to my local Immigration office ( Pattaya) to get a definitive answer to my situation .. and The lady who deals with the paperwork re:- Retirement extensions said ... As long as  all the account involved are from the same bank and it all happened on the same day  there is NOT problem ... Just bring all the bank books involved and copy of the pages in question  ...

Just hope she does change her mind in the next 6 weeks lol

She will not change her mind because that's how it works.