Wearing Gold - Dangerous or Not?

Pilotman

My partner stopped wearing her gold for everyday wear about 5 years ago. If you listen to the JS100 radio station, there are quite often reports of bag or gold snatches from women heading to work quite early before too many people are around, even at bus stops. I haven't really heard that the situation has got any worse recently though.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually I would say that the point is valid as a warning to others and could save a persons life as well as property - times are getting tough for a lot of people and we should all be aware of that and act accordingly.

Don't flash gold around and don't drive motorbikes, just 2 things I have learnt on here this weekend..seriously, the advice/warnings on here are just so immeasurable..thank you TVF. 

• Haha 1

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Many accurate sentiments on this thread. Times are tough now. Alot of hardship. Many thefts are acts of desperation. The Thai people are generally not predisposed to this kind of thing. Not like in the PI or Cambodia. But, why not exercise some discretion? Why create the temptation? 

Absolutely!! Great advice right there!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Over reaction or just sensible?

Sensible, my wife also has a good collection and will wear her gold on rare occasions when we are out, otherwise it's in the safe. Her investment has proven to increase 100% tax free over the past decade as well. 

We recall years ago in Pattaya when we had just arrived, checked into the hotel and went out to grab a bite to eat. We started walking along and all of a sudden saw this elderly farang stumble on the other side of the road, I thought the motorbike hit him, I turned to my wife to say, did that bike just hit him, and I saw that she was quickly removing her gold, I didn't understand what was going on, so I crossed over and said to the guy are you ok mate, he was holding his neck under his chin and said the motorbike grabbed his necklace, I could see that there was a pillion tucked in and down on the back. Fortunately the farang wasn't hurt, although he was minus his gold chain, another time a mate of mine had his necklace taken off of him when he was flirting with a ladyboy, apparently the ladyboy who was giving him a shoulder massage smacked him on his back hard when finished, at the same time taking his necklace, he didn't notice at the time because of the smack on the back.

I am like you, no gold except for the wedding finger. My ego is big enough ????

To answer your question, I have only heard that gold shop robberies are on the up, no individual robberies, probably a lot of people selling up for two reasons, the first, they need the money due to the Covid situation impacting on their livelihoods, and two, the price is at record levels, me having advise the Mrs to sell when it hits 30,000 and to buy in a few years when it drops, but up to she.

• Like 1

It is a sensible precaution not to wear gold anywhere.

Wifey was mugged 3 times back in her home town of Birmingham UK back in the 1980's.

Moved to Asia, safaris in Africa (photos only), never wore gold and was never mugged again.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

This problem seems to surface and subside every few years but certainly now when unemployment is such a real issue it would  be asking  for trouble. My wife never wore her gold on the street or in public places when we lived in BKK. Over the years I have read of many instances where necklaces have been ripped off necks both on the street and  off motorcyclists  waiting at traffic lights.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

And here I am  telling my wife  NOT to sell just yet ! Not for sake of greed. It's just that I know  she will fritter the  cash away and I'll be out of pocket  buying more  even if the price goes  down ! lol

You have put conditions down, i.e. money goes into my account, and out of my account when you want to buy again, she's happy with that, and so I am I, no money out of my pockets...lol

Depends on how big the necklace is and how covered up her shirt shows it. Open no collar shirt then dangerous as is like advertising. Mine wears a couple of small chains with some smaller type gold buddha on them.. One chain is from the USA (wrong color) and the other from here. But you wouldn't notice it as she dresses discretely. Rings not a problem. Yesterday mine had her 2 big diamond rings and sparkly nice sized diamond bracelet on when we went out. No big deal for CM. Pattaya watch out.

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

You have put conditions down, i.e. money goes into my account, and out of my account when you want to buy again, she's happy with that, and so I am I, no money out of my pockets...lol

I made it  easier than that. I just said any  gold I buy her anytime from now  will only be gold bars.

• Thanks 1

Facing rough times obviously has an impact but so too being in rough areas and not being careful enough.

I can vouch for the rough area issue as had a nasty experience in Sungei Golok back in the mid 90's. Being a border town it was (still is) renowned for it's somewhat lawless state. Working in Kelantan at the time my wife and young son would come down from Bangkok, stay a week or so with me then head back home with a night in Golok before catching the early morning flight from Narathiwat.

Anyway, one trip (last one as it turned out) we had been out for a meal and the wife had worn a bit of bling. The upshot was, on returning, a knock on the hotel room door, a broken 'security' chain and three local hoods with gun / machete / knife piling into the room. Not pleasant and, luckily, no injuries.

Hotel security were a waste of space, as were the management. Local police not interested beyond the preparation of the report. Expensive lesson but no need to remind my wife now about keeping a low profile. So, one positive from the incident.:biggrin: