Wearing Gold - Dangerous or Not?

Pilotman

38 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I made it  easier than that. I just said any  gold I buy her anytime from now  will only be gold bars.

I also said to her the other day, when you sell them, i.e. when they get to 30,000 and you buy them back at a later date, for much less, why not buy bars, and her reply was, do they sell them to wear as a necklace and on my wrist, smart girl my Mrs ???? 

• Like 1

My Mrs wears gold sometimes when theres a Temple thingy going on,  I  only have a half round small marriage ring, Mrs mostly wears silver she doesn't understand when I say some bad Europeans might think that is platinum  ????

• Like 1

1) Is the gold still in the home.

2) is the gold in the home real gold.

3) Is there money owed to some one.

4) or just being careful.

number 4 is great, but need to pass the 1,2,3, first

Amazing Thailand. :jap:

Edited by quake

I think not so much the low income of the people as years ago when the economy was not great Thais wore all their gold. I think it has more to do with the added emphasis on acquiring money in recent year. They have followed the western idea. 

20 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I remember the time when economy wasn't good, a while ago, and iPhones were very highly valued. A girl on the phone late in the evening had her hand in which she was holding the phone chopped off in Soi Mahadthai in eastern Bangkok after refusing to hand it over.

So a girl holding a phone refused to hand it over, the assailant then somehow managed to sever her hand without her dropping the phone in fright (or pain).  That is some serious determination to hold onto her phone. 

Did he demand the phone and she refused, so he whipped out a freshly sharpened samurai sword and with one quick swing separated her hand from her wrist?   

Or perhaps he grabbed her arm, forced it down onto a chopping block, whipped out a cleaver and severed her hand that way? 

But that dogged Thai girl was not going to let go of that phone!!

Do you realise how much force is required to cut through a human wrist and sever the persons hand?   Do you really think any scenario would involve the girl not just giving up the phone? 

Come up with a more believable story next time.

Seen a couple of guys having their gold chains pulled off whilst walking over the last 10 years by yin’s on motor scooters. Current situation I’m sure pushes the temptation to Rob people more tempting. Be careful out there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, seancbk said:

So a girl holding a phone refused to hand it over, the assailant then somehow managed to sever her hand without her dropping the phone in fright (or pain).  That is some serious determination to hold onto her phone. 

Did he demand the phone and she refused, so he whipped out a freshly sharpened samurai sword and with one quick swing separated her hand from her wrist?   

Or perhaps he grabbed her arm, forced it down onto a chopping block, whipped out a cleaver and severed her hand that way? 

But that dogged Thai girl was not going to let go of that phone!!

Do you realise how much force is required to cut through a human wrist and sever the persons hand?   Do you really think any scenario would involve the girl not just giving up the phone? 

Come up with a more believable story next time.

Search some archives. From what I remember it was even featured on ThaiVisa. Also having lived there for years, I know that girl... well, used to... lost touch for several years now.

Sarcastic response: Oh the worries of the wealthy and privileged.  So exciting to read the conundrums in life that 95% of us old, lonely, single expats will never experience ????????????????

21 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Over reaction or just sensible? 

It's never been a good idea to wear expensive jewelry in public anywhere that has criminals- ie the world.

IMO anyone that wears anything that can be snatched by criminals on m'bikes has only themselves to blame if it is snatched.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Many accurate sentiments on this thread. Times are tough now. Alot of hardship. Many thefts are acts of desperation. The Thai people are generally not predisposed to this kind of thing. Not like in the PI or Cambodia. But, why not exercise some discretion? Why create the temptation? 

After Purachai almost destroyed the farang night life in Pattaya and lots of Thais lost their jobs, the Pattaya Mail was reporting lots of snatch crimes. Before Purachai there were hardly any reports.

• Like 1

Depends where you are going and what you are going to do; and how aware you are.

Going to the mall, nice restaurant etc, probably safe. Going to Walking street, Soi Cowboy, Patpong, back streets, etc maybe taking extra caution would be good. Walking down a canal towpath at night or through a shanty town type area - maybe not a good idea even without gold!

Common sense. You'd probably be worse off in a major European city where muggings, moped snatches, and violent robbery seem much more prevalent. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's never been a good idea to wear expensive jewelry in public anywhere that has criminals- ie the world.

IMO anyone that wears anything that can be snatched by criminals on m'bikes has only themselves to blame if it is snatched.

Yes indeed anyone outside without a burqa has only themselves to blame.  I agree do not tempt fate - but lets not blame the victims.  

Illustration Beautiful Muslim Women Niqab Cartoon เวกเตอร์สต็อก ...

In todays climate of many people falling on hard times, I think walking around wearing gold would be somewhat foolish.

You're making yourself a target for someone who thinks a quick snatch & grab could help solve some money issues. Just the other day it cost someone their life when a grab for a handbag was made.

leave the valuables at home, your missus wearing a stylish outfit says enough... she don't need the bling.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I remember the time when economy wasn't good, a while ago, and iPhones were very highly valued. A girl on the phone late in the evening had her hand in which she was holding the phone chopped off in Soi Mahadthai in eastern Bangkok after refusing to hand it over.

Even in better times, you could read in Pattaya news of snatch thieves ripping gold necklaces off victims under blanket of darkness basically daily. If she's seen displaying an American Rapper style golden chain around her neck, she could expect to be followed and your house broken into.

It's just not worth flashing wealth with so many people desperate, and some turning to crime.

Any guy wearing any sort of jewelry with the exception of perhaps a wedding ring has to have effeminate tendencies.

23 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Sensible, my wife also has a good collection and will wear her gold on rare occasions when we are out, otherwise it's in the safe. Her investment has proven to increase 100% tax free over the past decade as well. 

We recall years ago in Pattaya when we had just arrived, checked into the hotel and went out to grab a bite to eat. We started walking along and all of a sudden saw this elderly farang stumble on the other side of the road, I thought the motorbike hit him, I turned to my wife to say, did that bike just hit him, and I saw that she was quickly removing her gold, I didn't understand what was going on, so I crossed over and said to the guy are you ok mate, he was holding his neck under his chin and said the motorbike grabbed his necklace, I could see that there was a pillion tucked in and down on the back. Fortunately the farang wasn't hurt, although he was minus his gold chain, another time a mate of mine had his necklace taken off of him when he was flirting with a ladyboy, apparently the ladyboy who was giving him a shoulder massage smacked him on his back hard when finished, at the same time taking his necklace, he didn't notice at the time because of the smack on the back.

I am like you, no gold except for the wedding finger. My ego is big enough ????

To answer your question, I have only heard that gold shop robberies are on the up, no individual robberies, probably a lot of people selling up for two reasons, the first, they need the money due to the Covid situation impacting on their livelihoods, and two, the price is at record levels, me having advise the Mrs to sell when it hits 30,000 and to buy in a few years when it drops, but up to she.

Funny, last week I went to BKK with the same intention to sell some gold, but I come back with more gold.

I'm sure the price goes up even more, especially when you see the dollar loses is value more and more.

Edited by Peterphuket

7 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Of course. And all girls who wear jeans are butch lesbians.

But girls with nice figures look very feminine in jeans as long as they are tight fitting, if you can't see that well-----.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

But girls with nice figures look very feminine in jeans as long as they are tight fitting, if you can't see that well-----.

I can see that fine. You are the one who thinks people jewellery wearing is a sign of their sexuality. 

I had moved here and spent all of a week looking for places to live, driving round as a pillion passenger on the then GF motorcycle when some <deleted> on a much bigger bike swiped the necklace I was wearing. Drove off like a madman never to be seen again. He had like a claw build in to a finger on his glove to easily scrape under the chain and be off. Never worn any sort of necklace since. That was over 9 years ago. Not a great start but still love the place.

Just now, Wongkitlo said:

I can see that fine. You are the one who thinks people jewellery wearing is a sign of their sexuality. 

Well as I have already said, guys wearing jewelry look very effeminate.