So i've GIVEN UP on returning

16 minutes ago, SnipTheCat said:

Hi,

I feel sorry to read that... But I can understand, I have made it back and in quarantine now. But way has been beyond what is humanely possible for most... I have been very close to give up multiple times, it is exhausting mentally & physically. If I hasn't my business here and work permit expiring soon, I probably would have waited... but I don't expect commercial flights to resume for at least 6 months, and possibly be very restrictive for 1 year. 

When I see the tens of thousands of thais still stranded oversears, the thens of thousands of foreigners stranded here, the laughable ASQ quarantine capacity, and the zero-tolerance for even a single asymptomatic case of local infection... I'm surprised I have made it.

Now about not testing the thais, I also find it's a madness... there has been one positive on my flight, I can't imagine there won't be any positive in his vincinity after 12 hours flight, that's how many test positive at day #12 of quarantine. In one way I feel safer and give some meaning to the fact that I was "forced" to take a business class seat... 

Best of luck for the future.

Well done, and good luck in your quarantine ! How are you handling it at the moment ?!

OP, there are still many Thais stranded abroad..just accept that it is best to delay.  Might even be worth considering bringing your kids to the UK, which would also require a briefcase full of paperwork.  Everyone is screwed to differing degrees.  I need to visit my parents, but then I may be in for an extremely cold Winter.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, moontang said:

Might even be worth considering bringing your kids to the UK, which would also require a briefcase full of paperwork. 

Her kids are with her in the UK. They are not Thai. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SnipTheCat said:

Hi,

I feel sorry to read that... But I can understand, I have made it back and in quarantine now.

By the way, do they take swabs of your nose for Covid test? Is it painful?

Edited by warcy
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SnipTheCat said:

But they do take this extremely seriously...

When I look at what happened in places like Melbourne and Hong Kong, I would expect them to be absolutely paranoid. I put the chance of Thailand keeping SARS-CoV-2 out at about 20%, and this is only if attempts are made to stick very strictly to the rules.

2 hours ago, JTXR said:

Very sorry to hear of your frustration and difficult decision.  I'd love to go back to the U.S. for a while to see to family and personal business (even braving the awful situation there), but I fear if I leave, returning to Thailand will be a nightmare for a long time to come.

I too would love to see my aging parents/grandparents in Australia but with a dependent thai partner its out of the question for the time being. 

The complaint boils down to "you didn't roll out the red carpet for me, a farang! im breaking up with you thailand. By the way you will never be happy without me"

• Like 1
  • Confused 13

13 hours ago, warcy said:

By the way, do they take swabs of your nose for Covid test? Is it painful?

I am in quarantine as well...6 more nights. This will have been my 4th or 5th test and they are briefly uncomfortable, but would not say painful. For myself.

In Canada they did not go as"deep" as they seem to here.

20 hours ago, Arjy2000k said:

i can imagine everything will go back to lockdown, which will make life pretty miserable.

I wouldn't let the possibility of another lockdown put you off, as long as you've got a decent stock of booze to tide you over it's not a problem. In fact, here in Pattaya, the lockdown was a rather pleasant time, with only local traffic and local people around. No traffic jams at all, it was lovely driving here, the first time in 16 years I've thought that.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, SnipTheCat said:

Thanks.

At day #8 now, tested negative this week, one more test on thursday... but recently many people test positive asymptomatically on day #12... 

It's a bit hard to be isolated in a room, even if it's comfortable, but on another hand I feel I'm so lucky to have made it...

Beside that everybody have been very nice and polite, at the airport, the nurses, at the hotel... nothing to complain. But they do take this extremely seriously... and I think more for the fear to do anything wrong and getting blamed (publicly) for it than for real fear of the virus.

That asymptomatic +ve test late in the quarantine is worrying. When the UK was quarantining only returnees from China way back in March and April, if anyone of the group tested +ve during the 14-day quarantine, everyone's quarantine was extended by 14 days from that +ve date test. I wonder how the local authorities handle this?

I didn't see anyone getting blamed publicly for the recent infraction with the Egyptian airman at U-Tapao. I consider that your 'wardens' and minders are genuinely worried about the virus.

Otherwise, good to see you have the discipline to stick to the quarantine rules. I can only surmise that the spikes and clusters being witnessed in various locations globally are directly linked to recent relaxations of some lock-down rules along with poor management of those rules and persistent irresponsible behavior. For example, a new cluster in Aberdeen, Scotland has seen 13 customers of a city center pub testing positive after visiting the pub on 26th July. Scotland's government only reopened the pubs the previous week on 15th July albeit with a rigorous customer registration procedures and social distancing measures in place. Thankfully, the former has lead to the rapid identification and tracking of potential victims.

When I get ejected after the amnesty expires I'm going to go back to the US and just assume to stay there for 12 months or how ever long it takes for this to resolve itself. COVID seems to have broken the world so there's no point in making any plans until this resolves. Just forget about Thailand and try to live a normal live, you know, like we used to. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pantsonfire raises another consequence of the ban on inward traffic. Those of us who briefly traveled to our home countries prior to the lockdown, for whatever reason and now find it impossible to get back to those we love, our long-term partners, in my case of 13yrs, wheres the hope.