Why is the daily UK MORTALITY still so high from Covid?

Arjy2000k

1 minute ago, Arjy2000k said:

If someone is ill in a old peoples home, why not take them to hospital?

It's not like UK hospitals are all empty and exclusively for Corona patients. They are full and treating people with all sorts of conditions- sometimes they have been waiting years for treatment, plus many non Corona medical problems need immediate treatment. When beds have to be used for priority cases, if someone is likely to die anyway due to pre existing medical conditions, they may decide not to accept them.

That is my opinion and may not be correct.

STILL CONFUSED.

So today mainland Europe record around 19 deaths in total. POPULATION OF ABOUT 741 MILLION.

But UK records nearly 100 DEATHS. POPULATION ABOUT 67 MILION.

This is disparity is so bizarre. Why is the UK suffering so badly STILL.

UK record 10 deaths in hospitals. So where are the 90 deaths happening? It just goes on and on, why are people dying outside of hospitals? If they are ill why are they not being bought to hospitals?

I still can't get answers, even from experts i follow on twitter !

What's so confusing is that the number of cases is lower in the UK than Spain, Germany, France and has been for almost a month now - but those countries are reporting low single figure deaths.

On 8/2/2020 at 8:50 PM, Arjy2000k said:

The UK has one of the highest testing rates in the world. It has the highest testing rates in Europe, double the number of tests Germany have carried out (which is second).

Like I said, the test is unreliable and testing is extremely limited in the UK.  I don't know a single person that has been tested in the UK for C19.  I would doubt the results anyway.  

2 hours ago, Arjy2000k said:

STILL CONFUSED.

So today mainland Europe record around 19 deaths in total. POPULATION OF ABOUT 741 MILLION.

UK record 10 deaths in hospitals. So where are the 90 deaths happening? It just goes on and on, why are people dying outside of hospitals? If they are ill why are they not being bought to hospitals?

What's so confusing is that the number of cases is lower in the UK than Spain, Germany, France and has been for almost a month now - but those countries are reporting low single figure deaths.

Like I've said previously, I think we have to question the UK health service's overall competence. I'm not having a go at the vast number of hard working and conscientious nurses and doctors. But in an organisation so large, disorganised and disjointed as our NHS I think it's impossible to ensure all staff are up to scratch and following the right procedures. 

Aside from a personal family tragedy that resulted from negligence in a hospital, I know countless others who have experienced similar issues. 

Perhaps, just perhaps your chances of survival in a UK hospital is lower than in other European hospitals. 

17 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Like I said, the test is unreliable and testing is extremely limited in the UK.  I don't know a single person that has been tested in the UK for C19.  I would doubt the results anyway.  

The UK has the highest number of tests per million people in the world.  So I don't think you can say "testing is extremely limited in the UK". 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/

43 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

17.5 million tests(rank 5) and tests/million rank(14 in world) them above most of the world except for Denmark and then above them many smaller nations. Doesn't seem like limited testing. The reliability of the testing is open to question.

I think the OP has raised an interesting question.

6 hours ago, torturedsole said:

He doesn't know anyone whose been tested which means no one has been tested. 

Great logic. However, the UK has the highest testing rates in all of Europe. It's the exact same test being used in the USA, France, Germany and Italy. 

8 hours ago, Arjy2000k said:

STILL CONFUSED.

They must be letting people die in care homes i guess. Although no one brings this up in the media or asks questions. 

Anyone else know where people are dying if not in hospitals? And why such a large volume of people?

Does the UK have ample access to drugs like Remdesvir ? 

I know the US bought up alot of stocks, and the EU has paid massively over the odds to secure some 30,000 doses. I was suprised they could only secure such a low amount.

The UK response has been a fiasco throughout this, especially when they had the debacle of securing PPE for health workers. It wouldn't surprise me if they had little to none of this medication, and are too late to the party. 

Once again the media aren't really pushing the government on these tough questions. 

On 8/3/2020 at 8:50 AM, hotandsticky said:

I find the comments about the high death rates confusing. I am not sure whether that is in absolute terms or relative to other countries. 

Certainly the daily death numbers have dropped. I own a crematorium in the UK and we have seen numbers drop from a 4 week peak of 60 cremations per week to 33 bookings this week and only 24 next week. The latter number is lower than 'normal' for this time of year. I accept that my numbers may not exactly mirror national figures but apart from local hotspots I would imagine they are fairly representative.

The number of cases appears to have been lower in Europe recently.  The UK has actually dramatically cut the death rates of hospitalized patients and the annual all cause death rate is actually lower than average (as with your figures).  Some say the UK has been overly determined in its count, while for other countries perhaps the opposite applies.

Nevertheless, the true death count is thought to be around 60,000, maybe suggesting quite a widespread outbreak, at least 6 million and possibly even 20.

4 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

Does the UK have ample access to drugs like Remdesvir ? 

I know the US bought up alot of stocks, and the EU has paid massively over the odds to secure some 30,000 doses. I was suprised they could only secure such a low amount.

The UK response has been a fiasco throughout this, especially when they had the debacle of securing PPE for health workers. It wouldn't surprise me if they had little to none of this medication, and are too late to the party. 

Once again the media aren't really pushing the government on these tough questions. 

Yes I believe so, plus dexamethasone which appears to be the most effective medicine at the moment.  The death rate in hospitalizations has been reduced to 1/6 of what it previously was.  Most covid19 wards are working at lower capacity, and the Nightingale hospitals are not currently being used.  The death rate is likely simply a function of higher case numbers.  There is only so much doctors can do to help elderly people who are frail, and the UK has a high rate of obesity too.  Really, we ought to be asking why the UK has a higher infection rate than other countries.

Edited by mommysboy