Pheu Thai to propose rewriting of Constitution next week

webfact

Pheu Thai to propose rewriting of Constitution next week

By The Nation

800_6ccc0facd2c7285.jpg?v=1596352235

The opposition is planning to present a proposal in the lower house to rewrite the Constitution following protests by pro-democratic groups seeking amendments to Thai democracy.

Pheu Thai's member of Parliament from Ubon Ratchatani province and deputy chief opposition whip, Somkid Chuakong, said that a House committee studying constitutional amendments will move a motion to amend Section 256 of the Constitution so that it could be easier to amend.

Somkid said that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha should not neglect the fact that senators had too much power and could choose a premier twice -- a period of eight years.

The so-called National Strategy would freeze the country and it was dangerous since the budget plan also did not respond to the country’s challenges, he said.

The opposition, therefore, has decided to propose next week a rewrite of the Constitution and expected MPs to quickly give their assent.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392321

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-02

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The opposition, therefore, has decided to propose next week a rewrite of the Constitution and expected MPs to quickly give their assent.

Doubtful the military will go along, but what else does the rabble in red have to do?  Good for them. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do they hope to change something at 4am to bring Thaksin back?

I'd rather the students and the forward party take the initiative in this matter.

pt will have their own old agendas in mind and nothing more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Pheu Thai's member of Parliament from Ubon Ratchatani province and deputy chief opposition whip, Somkid Chuakong, said that a House committee studying constitutional amendments will move a motion to amend Section 256 of the Constitution so that it could be easier to amend.

safe driving my friend. 

20 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Good for Pheu Thai!  The Constitution certainly needs an overhaul.  Probably won't succeed first time, but the issue needs to be raised and raised again, especially to show the younger generation that someone is listening, even if the generals are not.

depending on what issues pt are focused on and ultimately their real intent/goals.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Somkid said that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha should not neglect the fact that senators had too much power and could choose a premier twice -- a period of eight years.

Wasn't that the point when he appointed 250 senators ( 3 months before the start of the election), so that he would maintain control even if he lost the election?

Please correct me if i am wrong but i'm sure the prime minister is not necessary the leader of the winning party after an election, but is voted by the senate.

Treason, sedition.... just to announce that they planning to present a proposal to change the constitution? To whose benefit?I

But wait.

Not presented, not even planned.

Announced that are planning to present a proposal.....

Look out for itinerant motorcyclists. That don't know you, but have met you in a beer dive and will be planning to accompany you to another one before you unexplanedly crash into him.....

I was in country in July when last constitution was voted  on.  But recall how opposition was put down.  I couldn't believe  thai people so ignorant.   But I'm sure many didnt have access to BKK post.   

On 8/2/2020 at 7:56 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Do they hope to change something at 4am to bring Thaksin back?

In their dream perhaps but they will more importantly ramp up the opposition to the current regime government and shorten the timeline before there is more blood on the streets.  Which seems inevitable at some stage now with the way the internet is democratising  the L.O.S. and upsetting the status quo.