BANGKOK
Gotalaugh

Sending a large amount of money from Thailand to UK

Posted (edited)

Hello, I think I need to cash in at the end of this year and leave Thailand to return to the UK with my long term Thai wife. We have a condo to sell and shares to sell and everything together would be around 30 million baht and we will have to start life again in the UK.

Can I ask how to get the money to the UK most efficiently? I know that I should change the money to pounds before sending to the UK as the UK banks have terrible exchange rates but that is all I know.

Thank you for any help you may able to provide.

Edited by Gotalaugh

In this time of Covid-19, do you think it would be easy to sell your condo?

• Like 1

If the shares are performing, why sell them?

As for the condo, it's an anchor.  You should budget for not being able to sell it.  

14 minutes ago, Leaver said:

If the shares are performing, why sell them?

As for the condo, it's an anchor.  You should budget for not being able to sell it.  

I guess you missed to read this:

2 hours ago, Gotalaugh said:

I think I need to cash in at the end of this year

Sounds to me that is money needed to get life running in the UK.

And another reason to never buy property in thailand.

• Sad 1

A troll post has been removed.

You have property and equity worth about 30 million baht and you are posting on a general forum how to get the best rate?

Goodnight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I guess you missed to read this:

Sounds to me that is money needed to get life running in the UK.

I read it, and thought the same, but with 30 million baht of assets, I assumed there must be some cash at bank.

Anyway, life in the UK should have always been kept running, even if it was the bare minimum of "life."  It's those that burn their bridges with their home country that seem to end up with issues.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

I read it, and thought the same, but with 30 million baht of assets, I assumed there must be some cash at bank.

Anyway, life in the UK should have always been kept running, even if it was the bare minimum of "life."  It's those that burn their bridges with their home country that seem to end up with issues.  

I mean everything cashed in to start life again in the UK. It is probably all worth a lot less just now but I really need to know what the restrictions are and what is the best way to send back without lots of charges or taxes and a good rate.

condo sale,i suggest wait till yrs end when crisis lifts as a lot of pent up overseas demand and incoming funds/ buyers then,especially mainland.take sale docs to your bank and tax payment details its fairly simple.shares -open acc in singapore with a company that deals those shares there and sell them there.

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

The last paragraph is very true.

On 8/3/2020 at 2:53 AM, Gotalaugh said:

I mean everything cashed in to start life again in the UK. It is probably all worth a lot less just now but I really need to know what the restrictions are and what is the best way to send back without lots of charges or taxes and a good rate.

The condo sale will not be easy, even at fire sale prices, and that's pre virus, even more difficult now.   What other assets are you looking to liquidate?   

On 8/3/2020 at 6:14 AM, Matzzon said:

The last paragraph is very true.

It is true.  The most unfortunate cases are the one that estrange themselves from their family in their home country.  In many cases, the family back home wanted their kids to have a grandfather.  When it goes pear shaped here, they end up returning home broke and knocking on one of their kid's doors, begging for food and accommodation.  

• Like 1

Hello All,

Very sorry for butting into this thread,but I need some advice. I too wish to send a decent amount of money back to the UK (unfortunately not as much as Gotalaugh ),

Any advice on the best way to do this, losing the least amount of money in the transfer would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Bangkok Bank account over here in Thailand and an offshore sterling account back in the UK.

Many thanks in advance.