Flights to the US?

16 hours ago, phuketsub said:

Another potential snag comes with a message on the Qatar Airways site about minors travelling alone...they ask that the child carry a notarized letter signed by both parents...The US Embassy, however, has suspended notarial services because of the pandemic, so it seems like a real Catch-22...

I guess I'll just write her a long, detailed letter that both of us will sign...just curious to know if anyone else has any experience in this regard.

The QR policy may refer to the UM service? As your daughter is 15 YO this may not be required? Often, in the U.S. anyway, you need the non-accompanying parent's notarized approval for one parent to travel internationally with a minor.

I would accompany her to Suvarnabhumi. This may be an absolute requirement assuming you used your credit card for the ticket. Having her mother present might be a good idea too. Get the check-in agent to add a note to her record  (PNR) stating that both parents were with her at check in.

Not sure a U.S. Notary is valid for an ex-BKK departure? But maybe DM the QR Zendesk? Maybe a local Thai lawyer can garuda-up your cover letter?

Having a detailed letter will help.

Edited by mtls2005

Thanks...I've already drafted a highly detailed letter addressed to 'US Customs and Immigration Officials and To Whoever Else it May Concern'...

I will enclose signed copies of our passports and other documents, as well as info about the reason for the flight and why we can't accompany her.

I tried to get an emergency appointment at the Embassy to get it notarized, but just got an automated reply and it looks unlikely that we'll get an appointment in time...and I am not even sure it if is really necessary.

Of course we will both accompany her to Suwanaphumi and check her in...

I am unfamiliar with the term QR Zendesk...I'll have to google that!

Thanks again for all your input...it is really helpful for me in this time of extreme stress...

34 minutes ago, phuketsub said:

Thanks...I've already drafted a highly detailed letter addressed to 'US Customs and Immigration Officials and To Whoever Else it May Concern'...

Don't make it too detailed. Keep it short, sweet, simple and direct. No more than three sentences.

35 minutes ago, phuketsub said:

QR Zendesk

Qatar Airways help desk: Twitter DM (Direct Message) is probably best?

@qrsupport

It won't impact your daughter's trip at all, but others could be impacted in the future by the president's plan to issue an EO allowing CBP to reject U.S. citizens from entering the country.

This appears to be targeted at the Southern Border with Mexico, but does give broad scope to CBP.

Trump mulls banning return of US citizens suspected of contracting coronavirus: reports

The Trump administration is considering a move that could allow immigration officials to temporarily restrict U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents suspected of contracting COVID-19 abroad from entering the country amid the ongoing pandemic, according to multiple reports.'

A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident could be blocked from returning under the proposal if an official “reasonably believes that the individual either may have been exposed to or is infected with the communicable disease,” The New York Times first reported.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/511439-trump-mulls-banning-return-of-us-citizens-suspected-of-contracting

23 hours ago, phuketsub said:

Thanks...It's way more than three sentences, though. Will try to strip it back a bit...then I'll try to get the letter notarized by an online service called www.notarycam.com

Maybe already considered, but I'd think about having documentation (original/embossed birth certificate, naturalization papers, or whatever was used to get the passport) to prove citizenship. Think this will be needed to enroll in school?

Depending on how many years are left on it, she might consddier renewing her passport over the next year, after age 16 birth day.

Yes, those are good ideas.

I hit a snag with getting the letter notarized online, as the online sites are US based and require a SSN for both signees -- but my wife, being Thai, doesn't have a SSN.

Please don't get me started on Trump policies. As stated on another thread in this forum, the US Embassy's refusal to issue tourist visas to wives [initiated around the time that Trump took office ] has already cost me so much time and money it makes me sick to my stomach. Our original plan was to fly back as a family and spend a summer month visiting relatives and acclimatizing our daughter. But they denied her twice, refusing to even look at the mountain of documents we provided to prove she was no risk of doing a 'robin hood' ...After all, she had been to the States twice previously and returned to Thailand both times.

Throughout the entire process [except for her interview that spouses aren't allowed to attend], we never had a chance to speak with a human being or argue the case. They just keep sending form letters encouraging you to reapply and provide more documentation...and ring the cash register for 6,000baht+ each time. ugh.

But back to my daughter's travel letter, fortunately, I have contacted a lawyer in the states through my sister and he should be able to do it.

I did try QR via direct tweet; they did get back to me and I explained the situation and asked if giving her an unnotarized letter would be sufficient, but still waiting for their reply.

Thanks for listening...

You may have the bases covered but since its her first time travelling alone some things to think about.  I would advise her picking a place to secure her passport and always keep it there when not needed.  It gets tempting to temporarily put it in a convenient pocket while going through check-in, immigration etc. but could lead to misplacing it - Ive not always been disciplined about that and only by sheer luck avoided extremely unpleasant consequences a couple of times.  Set alarm during layover in Doha if sleepy.  I got out of my normal travel routine once in Doha and had to run full speed barely making it onto the flight.   Also battery pack it would be unfortunate to have a dead phone in the event of a travel disruption.  I belive Qatar might now sell access to their lounges so thats another option for her layover.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Also battery pack it would be unfortunate to have a dead phone in the event of a travel disruption.

I'd spring for a travel SIM as these will work for both voice and data in DOH, DFW and elsewhere in the U.S. during the 10 - 15 day period (starts day of activation, best done at Suvaranbhumi day of departure). Maybe add some extra value too to cover emergency on-net voice calls. 6 baht/min.

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/gointer/

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/sim2fly/en/

If you are a DTAC subscriber enroll in the DTAC Call service. This essentially extends one's service anywhere via WiFi.

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/info/dtac-call.html

AIS and TrueMove H may have similar offerings.

And set up the usual comms programs: LINE, FB Messenger, WhatsApp as you'll have mobile data with a travel SIM.

Edited by mtls2005

If it's postpaid you can add/enable roaming. Or you can add a roaming package to postpaid or prepaid.  http://www.dtac.co.th/en/roaming/rate/usa/

I would still get a new SIM Go Inter or similar, as back up.

DTAC Call requires WiFi.

What is the make/model of her phone?

Also consider renewing her Thai ID card, and Thai Passport before departure, if either might expire over a potentially extended period of time. Think you can get a new ID in a day or so, a passport in a few days.

On 8/12/2020 at 11:53 AM, mtls2005 said:

If it's postpaid you can add/enable roaming. Or you can add a roaming package to postpaid or prepaid.  http://www.dtac.co.th/en/roaming/rate/usa/

I would still get a new SIM Go Inter or similar, as back up.

DTAC Call requires WiFi.

What is the make/model of her phone?

Also consider renewing her Thai ID card, and Thai Passport before departure, if either might expire over a potentially extended period of time. Think you can get a new ID in a day or so, a passport in a few days.

She made it to Knowville safely, and I just want to thank you so much for all the useful info, especially the recommendation for Qatar Air.

We weren't able to get a SIM card at Suvarnabhumi because all the vendors were closed, but she got us using the Line app during her 9-hour layover in Doha. Apparently she was fine without the explanation note being notarized.

She was nauseous the whole way, but apart from that all went pretty much according to plan, so we are extremely relieved.

It was surreal following her on flightradar24.com and watching her plane fly over Scandinavia, Greenland and so on....

Thanks so much for helping us make it happen!

11 hours ago, phuketsub said:

She made it to Knowville safely, and I just want to thank you so much for all the useful info, especially the recommendation for Qatar Air.

We weren't able to get a SIM card at Suvarnabhumi because all the vendors were closed, but she got us using the Line app during her 9-hour layover in Doha. Apparently she was fine without the explanation note being notarized.

She was nauseous the whole way, but apart from that all went pretty much according to plan, so we are extremely relieved.

It was surreal following her on flightradar24.com and watching her plane fly over Scandinavia, Greenland and so on....

Thanks so much for helping us make it happen!

Really happy it all worked out.

Pretty awesome for a teenager that young to make it all the way by herself, especially in these troubled times.

That being said, it bodes well that she'll be able to navigate whatever else comes up as she transitions to HS in TN.

Happy we all could offer some advise which smoothed the process

• Like 1
13 hours ago, phuketsub said:

Thanks for taking the time to come back and close the loop.  So often, we never hear how things worked out.  So it's tough for anyone in a similar fix to take a lesson.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

AWESOME, and thanks for the update.

She, and you, did all the hard work. 

???? Just a few additional comments. I just had my first long video chat with her and she had a few comments about the flight.

First, she said the staff on Qatar were very polite, concerned and helpful.

On the American side, she said nobody at Customs or Immigration asked her anything about her age or why she was traveling alone, let alone asked to look at all the documents and backup materials we had prepared.

She added that the Customs officer was aggressively rude to her, yelling 'next....Next....NEXT!' when it was her turn and she almost started crying.

Tough going, but possibly a good lesson on dealing with US security officers in general.

...and that's a wrap. Thanks once again.

13 hours ago, phuketsub said:

She added that the Customs officer was aggressively rude to her, yelling 'next....Next....NEXT!' when it was her turn and she almost started crying.

Assume this to be passport control - Customs is the checkpoint exiting the baggage claim area?

Global Entry or Mobile Passport offer some relief from surly CPB staff. That said, it's got to be a crappy job for a LEO, barely a step up from toll collector?

Forgot to mention Mobile Passport previously.

Global Entry is $100 for 5 years.

• Like 1