Trump says federal government should again seek death penalty for Boston bomber Tsarnaev

webfact

36 minutes ago, simple1 said:

You have taken my post out of context. However, no, it's not just 'one person', many are against the death penalty. Islamists are not deterred by the death sentence, nor has it been proven the death penalty is a deterrent to murder in the general population.

Proven repeatedly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Death penalty doesn't deter.

Victims are bad judges.

If a new trial for sentencing is held it should be fair.

“Death penalty doesn’t deter” ????

Have you ever known an executed terrorist reoffend?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

And this is how you win votes. Trump is connecting and resonating with citizens interested in maintaining justice. I suspect most Americans, bar a tiny minority of extreme leftists, want the Boston bomber to get the death penalty.

LAW AND ORDER!

law and order?  the president publicly demanding a certain outcome via tweet?

"SHOULD GET DEATH PENALTY!" says the president. 

great way to ensure the bad guys lawyers have grounds to appeal again and again and again.  trump just guaranteed this will be in the courts for decades.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Death penalty doesn't deter.

Victims are bad judges.

If a new trial for sentencing is held it should be fair.

so, someone kills or mames your beloved one's and you would be ok with anything then an eye for an eye ?

example: they should cut of the wieners of pedo's & rapists, that would deter them from making new victims

17 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

so, someone kills or mames your beloved one's and you would be ok with anything then an eye for an eye ?

example: they should cut of the wieners of pedo's & rapists, that would deter them from making new victims

Prevent and deter are not the same.

As I said, victims are bad judges.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

Being for or against the death penalty should be a question of morals and principles and not based on the fact, that you had a bad day!

Also: rape is not about sexuality it is about power!

You can "perfectly" well rape a person without a penis!

• Like 1

I think all the evidence over many decades suggests that capital punishment does not deter.  But like George Bernard Shaw (and the Israeli government) there is a lot to be said for "an eye for an eye".   You chose to disobey the law; now, here is the punishment for doing that.

You have the freedom NOT to kill.  We, the State, have the freedom to decide that you suffer the penalty that the state has determined is appropriate.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

There are opposite views, but general scientific opinion is that it doesn't deter crime, https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/policy-issues/deterrence

So sorry. I misread the/your post I responded to. To correct myself and agree with you. I meant that it has been proved by many studies that the death penalty is NOT an effective deterrent to murder. Again, please excuse.

• Thanks 1

I think the biggest argument against the death penalty, regardless of the crime, and a point missed by every poster here so far, is the number of people who have been executed, with evidence subsequently appearing that exonerated them.

Every 10,000 dogs that thoroughly deserved it, (this one included) are negated by the single innocent man, which could easily be you or me, wrongfully (but effectively) murdered.

It's tough after all to say sorry to the dead you later realise you did the wrong thing by.

Politicians should NEVER try to influence decisions by the judiciary.

It is tantamount to interfering or attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Lives and Justice should be more important than a few populist votes.

• Like 1

Just let him rot and never speak of him again. There is no place for feelings of revenge, retribution or anger in a fair judicial system. Also some people have said things along the line of I have never seen an executed terrorist re-offend. Well when you martyr one you can make him a gift that keeps giving.

I am also for humane treatment of prisoners regardless of the crime. Just because somebody does something hideous does not mean I need to become more similar to that person as a human being. I don't murder people and I don't torture them over decades.

• Thanks 1