U.S. election will be Nov. 3 as planned - Trump advisers

webfact

3 hours ago, heybruce said:
5 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

My official request for a U.S. Absentee Ballot was mailed June 27, 2020 from a Thailand Post Office by EMS Mail EE181166561TH. The letter finally reached US Customs July 20, 2020 where the tracking says it is still being “processed”. The question is raised as to why this official voting request by a US citizen is being delayed? I ask anyone to forward this information to anyone in authority to notify of the problem. Is it an isolated issue or is this a systemic issue, further, what are the reasons for the delay within the a United States Postal System? Feel free to cite my name for this purpose.

More likely a problem with the Thai mail system than the US mail.  A few years ago I had one absentee ballot for a primary election arrive months after I requested it, on election day. It was useless at that point.

Not a Thai post issue, as the item departed Thai soil on 28 June.

This is EMS, which in contrast to registered mail, will be tracked every step down to the recipient. It definitely has arrived in the US much earlier than 20 July, because that is only the date US customs took acceptance, and hasn't moved since.

Every letter or package will pass customs. Maybe something orange is involved in the progressing

image.png.aa3000e09b274a4fc52beb3ca0c50f69.png

Edited by Susco
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Mail in voting is already in place and has been used in every Federal Election since the Civil War.

The bigger issue is ‘voter suppression’.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/democracy/reports/2018/11/20/461296/voter-suppression-2018-midterm-elections/

Not on a large scale.  I know it is available as I have done it the last 12 years.  The issue is the volume proposed. 

I am not sure mail in votes are all counted right away during some elections.  For example if the national elections are won in a landslide in Arizona the results of the win are sent to Washington to be counted before the mail in votes are tallied.  If there aren't enough mail in votes to change the winner in the national elections they don't need to wait to send the results.

Weeks later the actual size of the victory may change but not the outcome.  Meanwhile we have closure on a national election.  Perhaps they impact some local elections but if it takes 3 weeks to determine the local sheriffs election the nation isn't losing sleep.

Edited by jimmybcool
z
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Kelsall said:

You still don't get it, do you?

Everyone (gets it)he’s trolling again I agree trolling distracting casting doubt and eunendo it’s all he’s capable of doing he’s obviously no one to have in charge during a crisis unless you are enemy then he’s really performing 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

We're going to hold an election on November 3 and the president is going to win," Meadows said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

Well yes, the winner of presidential elections is always the president, that’s the whole point really. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

And mass gatherings at polling stations during a highly infectious pandemic is fraught with danger.  Not giving people a safe alternative to polling stations will greatly suppress the vote, which is undemocratic.

Voting by mail, which Trump hates, and absentee voting, which Trump thinks is great even though it is the same thing, is the safer option.

I don't see how voting in person is that dangerous.  Simply enforce social distancing and masks and regularly sanitize voting machines.  We have people shopping and going to schools and dining out.  

How then is voting more dangerous than going to a grocery store and standing in line?  How is it voter suppression?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Credo said:

Well, first of all, the lines during voting can get very, very long and the wait time can be onerous.  For young, healthy people, it may be OK, but vulnerable groups are at risk of waiting in line.   Nov. can have nasty weather, which means being inside waiting.   If you have an auto-immune disorder or other conditions, voting would put a person at great risk.   That is voter suppression.   

Not buying how it is much different than usual years.  The only difference this year is Covid.  Social distancing and masks seem to work elsewhere in life why not here?

For those in a high risk group sign up for mail in voting.  No voter suppression here.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jimmybcool said:

I don't see how voting in person is that dangerous.  Simply enforce social distancing and masks and regularly sanitize voting machines.  We have people shopping and going to schools and dining out.  

How then is voting more dangerous than going to a grocery store and standing in line?  How is it voter suppression?

1 hour ago, jimmybcool said:

Not buying how it is much different than usual years.  The only difference this year is Covid.  Social distancing and masks seem to work elsewhere in life why not here?

For those in a high risk group sign up for mail in voting.  No voter suppression here.

Even before Covid 19 became a factor many polling stations were closed.   https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-locations-idUSKCN1VV09J

Now, because of fear of infection, states are having trouble recruiting workers for polling stations,  Historically many poll workers were seniors.  This could lead to more polling stations closing and longer processing times for voters.   https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/31/coronavirus-election-worker-shortage-389831

Both these problems will lead to long lines in which it is difficult to maintain social distancing, and a lot of people giving up and not voting, effectively suppressing the vote.  A cynical person could easily conclude that opposition to vote by mail is motivated by a desire to suppress voting.

Yes, we can just ask vulnerable people to request absentee ballots.  And we can ask people who live with vulnerable people to request absentee ballots.  And we can ask critical workers in jobs where they are in close proximity to vulnerable people to request absentee ballots.  And we can ask people who work with those who aren't vulnerable but will then be around vulnerable people (teachers come to mind) to request absentee ballots.  Or we can just give up and encourage everyone to vote by mail, because those with a legitimate concern of spreading the infection make up a majority of the voters.

The need to eliminate long lines, crowds, wasted time, inability to vote and general chaos at polling stations out-weighs the unsubstantiated concerns of fraud using mail in ballots.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, heybruce said:

The need to eliminate long lines, crowds, wasted time, inability to vote and general chaos at polling stations out-weighs the unsubstantiated concerns of fraud using mail in ballots.

My concern isn't fraud.  it is chaos.  People in at risk groups should get mail in ballots.  The rest need to continue to vote as usual.  And the states/cities etc need to figure out how to man the stations.  No one said it was going to be easy.  But full scale send out mail in ballots to everyone isn't going to work.  

Anyone that wants an election to be complete in a reasonable time and without partisan claims of who won should be onboard with in person voting.  I am in the at risk population.  if I didn't already get mail in ballots I would go vote in person.  If I had to stand in a line for an hour and wear a mask to do so that's what I would do.

• Like 1

When I read about all these bureaucratic problems in the US election system - voting by mail, counting the votes, list of voters, .... the list goes on - I think of a third world state, although the US are able to send people to the moon. Worldclass in tech, bureaucracy of the third world!

• Before opening the election I had to go to the central office to take off the list with all the voters of the subdistrict.
  • For many, many years I have been a leader in different election districts in Germany. The election started at 8:00 a.m. and endet at 6:00 p.m. There have been many rules to be respected.
  • At starting and ending all 7 members of the election board had to be present.
  • Of the 7 members there had to be at least 2 from different parties, reducing the fraud possibility
  • During the election time 3 people had to be present at least, especially when some went home for a lunch.
  • the present members had to support and to take care for disabled people.
  • The leader of the election bord and during his absence his deputy took care that every ballot was put into the voting box.
  • There was a list of all voters of the election district. No one had to ask for the right to vote, if a German citizen, not the same as in the USA. Every voter had to show her/his election voting card sent from the city office to his home. No card, had at least to show her/his passport. Postal voters have been marked in the list, so that they couldn't vote a second time.
  • At 6 p.m. the ballot box was opened and 6 members sorted the ballots out depending on the different parties. After that the ballots for each party have been counted and later controlled by another group.
  • Then I wrote the vote numbers of each party in a liste. The number of voters in the ballot list had to equal all the party voting numbers.
  • When okay, all members of the voting board could go home and I telephoned the results to the (central) voting board. After that I took all the documents and the list to this office.
  • There never haven't been long waiting lines for the voters. Maybe the US districts are to greedy to build more voting boards.

In most cases these results have been delivered between 6:30 and 6:45 p.m. Between 10 and 11 p.m. the central state delivered the party results to the medias.

The post votings have been noticed in every district election list. Therefore no double voting possible and no fraud. To be counted all letters with the voting paper and some special documents had to stay at least at 6 p.m. in the central office of the election district. That's the reason no real problems with postal voting in Germany.

The man with the yellow implanted hair will never understand this. A brain surgery would have been more urgent!

Edited by puck2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jimmybcool said:

My concern isn't fraud.  it is chaos.  People in at risk groups should get mail in ballots.  The rest need to continue to vote as usual.  And the states/cities etc need to figure out how to man the stations.  No one said it was going to be easy.  But full scale send out mail in ballots to everyone isn't going to work.  

Anyone that wants an election to be complete in a reasonable time and without partisan claims of who won should be onboard with in person voting.  I am in the at risk population.  if I didn't already get mail in ballots I would go vote in person.  If I had to stand in a line for an hour and wear a mask to do so that's what I would do.

You will have chaos if you try to hold a traditional election with insufficient polling stations and poll workers.

You edited out my explanation, with references, as to why traditional in-person voting will not work, and why everyone is at risk or has the potential to infect someone at risk.

Mail in ballots provide a paper record of the vote.  Millions of mail in ballots may mean the count may not be done on election day, but it doesn't have to be.  Better to take a few extra days counting than to insist everyone put themselves at risk, or not vote, in order to get quick results.

BTW, even before the pandemic people were standing in line for many hours at some polling stations. With significantly fewer polling stations and poll workers it is certain that many, perhaps most, voters will be forced to wait in long lines for hours.  Many will simply give up and not vote.  I'm sure that is the outcome some people want.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

The delicious irony in all of this election talk is that the US Constitution has a remedy.

If no winner is determined by 12:01PM on 20 January 2021---whether the vote is still being tallied, the election challenged, or even a "postponement"---the sitting Speaker of the House will be sworn in as President of the United States.

That would be Rep Nancy Pelosi.

That would be Rep Nancy Pelosi if the Democrats retain their majority in the House.  That will probably happen, but I don't want to assume anything.

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

That would be Rep Nancy Pelosi if the Democrats retain their majority in the House.  That will probably happen, but I don't want to assume anything.

Having nancy as president would be awesome, ahahhaa

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Having nancy as president would be awesome, ahahhaa

Don’t think Nancy would have created 40 million unemployed 155,000 dead 32%drop in GDP I know trump dident creat covid 19 nature did that beeing said trump created the response to the crisis Nancy would have responded much better imo