U.S. coronavirus 'extraordinarily widespread', say White House experts

webfact

10 hours ago, taxout said:

And as for Trump, haters are gonna hate no matter what.

If he'd grabbed control from the states and put the country into lockdown they'd be calling him King Donald the Dictator.

In other words his ego rules.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:
10 hours ago, taxout said:

And for those to lazy to click on the link, here's the chart of weekly Covid deaths from CDC:

cov chart.jpg

You are doing great only 157,000 deaths and ICU's not empty anymore

This chart with a rolling 7 day average is a more clear one

D8B36D06-D341-4914-99A2-D3980AB6003D.jpeg.5765daffafa7c46901336beca5910f09.jpeg

3 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

The USA has about 4.25% of the world population

But has just under 1/4 of the infections and deaths

This is the website for the facts

The facts speak for itself

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/us-population/

That's because a lot of countries are poor without reliable data.

Or do you really think Africa's Covid data is reliable?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

No matter what the 3 top White House experts laid out regarding the dire situation of the pandemic, it will be a total waste of time if the only person who can take affirmative policies to stop the virus is not listening and showing no empathy to the sufferers. His attention is only to himself and the election. 

The media should stop calling these people 'White House experts' as Trump has made clear it is only his opinion and beliefs that matter. Call them government or medical pandemic experts who merely communicate with the White House.

11 hours ago, taxout said:

Keep your eye on what counts: deaths and hospitalizations, not reported infections.

Look at the chart of Covid deaths over the past several months (Table 1):

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

Does that chart suggest we've now entered a dangerously critical new phase?

That chart is misleading, because as the CDC itself notes, the data is incomplete and provisional. Elsewhere in the CDC world, you'll see them explain that data counted by that system that relies on death certificates can lag up to 8 weeks behind actual deaths.

You're not the first person to have posted that misleading info here, without bothering to actually read or understand the details of what you're posting. But good effort nonetheless.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yinn said:

The USA fighting statues, black and white, hard right and leftys, republican and Democrat, statues. Anti maskers, anti vaxxers, anti tracing apps etc etc. 

Amazing stupid. Amazing selfish. 

Covid not care about this nonsense. 

4AF583E1-3668-4134-A1BB-5B2A42617B4F.png

A58215A0-FA2E-41C8-BF07-834402D60BC1.jpeg

Yes, the chart Yinn has posted above is the accurate, up-to-data details on U.S. CV deaths. And the CV deaths trend is up -- not down and not flatlining.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, the chart Yinn has posted above is the accurate, up-to-data details on U.S. CV deaths. And the CV deaths trend is up -- not down and not flatlining.

It also shows other places are doing much worse. I am not going to bother looking up the population if every country but look at Brazil and a good portion listed. As usual statistics can use whatever metric you wish to emphasize whatever narrative you are pushing. 

I am not suggesting you personally are pushing an agenda so no need for a defensive reply. I am saying people see many different things in the same numbers. I tend to think percentages and this shows percentage wise the USA is no high risk anomaly compared to other countries.

However the current state of the virus is but one part of the story that has already partially played out. Let's see who fares better in the long term when the after math to all of this becomes much more profound. It's you either pay up front or put the virus on layaway plans. When that sweet guberment money runs out soon the air of hell will be too thick for hymns. This is where you are going to see more lives lost due to collateral damage than the virus itself.

1 minute ago, JohnnyNJoy said:

It's all because no one in the US wants to take it serious. The amount of people who still go out and don't take any precautions in the US is crazy to me. It's no wonder the US is the most infected. 

I believe there are people out there spreading it intentionally as well. Where as the super spreaders are more like people who won't commit murder but don't mind manslaughter. There is a lot of resentment for the "system".

The cultural wars in the USA are not only along racial lines. There are many young who hate anybody over 50 right now. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Part of the problem in the US is high obesity rates.  The virus tends to affect those people more severely.  Strangely, I don't see anyone in any sort of leadership position suggesting people try lose weight and get some exercise.  When Michelle Obama tried doing it way back in 2009 she was, of course, mocked by wingnuts but what else is new.

The current occupant of the WH is the poster child of obesity and poor lifestyle choices and those are the least of his flaws.  So he's certainly of no help.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

I believe there are people out there spreading it intentionally as well. Where as the super spreaders are more like people who won't commit murder but don't mind manslaughter. There is a lot of resentment for the "system".

The cultural wars in the USA are not only along racial lines. There are many young who hate anybody over 50 right now. 

There are many young out there that want what the fifty and older earned through a lifetime of hard work one other thing I’d like to say keep in mind dr brix is working for a very powerful mentally ill man I’m sure it must drive a fact driven doctor expert in her field bonkers trying to tip toe around trump she spoke a kernel of obvious truth now her head is in the noose just another example of trump being unfit for the job of potus imo ignore trump we know what to do mask up keep your distance and help one another good luck good health

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tug said:

There are many young out there that want what the fifty and older earned through a lifetime of hard work one other thing I’d like to say keep in mind dr brix is working for a very powerful mentally ill man I’m sure it must drive a fact driven doctor expert in her field bonkers trying to tip toe around trump she spoke a kernel of obvious truth now her head is in the noose just another example of trump being unfit for the job of potus imo ignore trump we know what to do mask up keep your distance and help one another good luck good health

Yet you cheer on a person who insists your generation stole their childhood. It's off topic so I will just add that people should be careful when cheering a revolution as they might be a part of the "system" they are attempting to destroy. It's like ending up with your head in a guillotine screaming "Wait I'm on your side"

Anyway there is a substantial portion of the USA that couldn't care less if it spreads. For the one's that do care that is seemingly your own problem these days. Either it scares you or it doesn't.

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

Part of the problem in the US is high obesity rates.  The virus tends to affect those people more severely.  Strangely, I don't see anyone in any sort of leadership position suggesting people try lose weight and get some exercise.  When Michelle Obama tried doing it way back in 2009 she was, of course, mocked by wingnuts but what else is new.

The current occupant of the WH is the poster child of obesity and poor lifestyle choices and those are the least of his flaws.  So he's certainly of no help.

How do you explain the fact that the USA has a much lower death rate than many other "skinny" places? Before you give me numbers, give me numbers that involve percentages. Percentage of cases by population and percentage of deaths. You don't seem to understand that things aren't rosy in many places. The USA is not the hardest hit.

I will give you 99% of $100 if you give me 10% of $1,000,000 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, taxout said:

Keep your eye on what counts: deaths and hospitalizations, not reported infections.

Look at the chart of Covid deaths over the past several months (Table 1):

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

Does that chart suggest we've now entered a dangerously critical new phase?

They have gotten better at treatment, but infection rates are exponential, and the problem is overwhelming hospitals, but you must know that by now. ????
You must be a super genius-way ahead of experts 

Edited by Redline
  • Like 1

Trump doubles down, tossing Birx under the bus, while attacking Nancy Pelosi. What is shocking is even pollyanna Birx, Trumps talking doc, says 300,000 dead by the end of the year is a possibility. 

"The dust-up comes as the country continues to be ravaged by coronavirus, with more than 150,000 US citizens dead and more than 4 million cases. Trump has consistently lied and misled mostly in attempts to downplay concerns about the virus as he presses for schools and businesses to reopen."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/03/politics/trump-birx-coronavirus-task-force/index.html

Edited by Dcheech
  • Like 2

It's not for Trump to order a national lockdown. But he should be using his "bully pulpit" (how appropriate!) to set direction and call for public cooperation. This would give cover to state and local leaders to do what is best in this fight against a deadly foe.

8 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Yet you cheer on a person who insists your generation stole their childhood. It's off topic so I will just add that people should be careful when cheering a revolution as they might be a part of the "system" they are attempting to destroy. It's like ending up with your head in a guillotine screaming "Wait I'm on your side"

Anyway there is a substantial portion of the USA that couldn't care less if it spreads. For the one's that do care that is seemingly your own problem these days. Either it scares you or it doesn't.

Huh....oh I think you are referring to Greta yea sure I get a kick out of that kid I’ll grant you she is obnoxious lol but for a good cause I do belive we must evolve towards a greener future and yes there is a minority’s of selfish people who don’t care and btw who’s talking or advocating destroying the system?trump certainly me no 

It is just absolutely comical to watch. If they got up and said the exact opposite I think they would be very close to the truth. 

If 1000 kids in a school get covid, and nobody dies, this is actually good. Is it going to take us years to learn this? Infections without deaths are actually good. 

The fact that it is "widespread", and deaths are way down, is good. You are now closer to being through it. You have to get through it to start the true healing process, but we seem to think we can stave it off for some reason. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

It is just absolutely comical to watch. If they got up and said the exact opposite I think they would be very close to the truth. 

If 1000 kids in a school get covid, and nobody dies, this is actually good. Is it going to take us years to learn this? Infections without deaths are actually good. 

The fact that it is "widespread", and deaths are way down, is good. You are now closer to being through it. You have to get through it to start the true healing process, but we seem to think we can stave it off for some reason. 

Except there is still a lot we don't know about this virus.  If 1000 kids get sick and live, how many of those children are going to bring it home to their parents?   How many of them are going to give it to their teachers?   Now, if those people are sick, they can't work.   Some will be hospitalized, so we are talking a minimum of 14 days in quarantine for those who do not get sick.   Much longer for those that do.   
While those people are sick, they aren't working and that impacts the economy.   Just to give you an example, ONE county in Georgia was to open schools today.   However, 300 teachers and staff were laid up because of Covid.   

• Like 1

U don't say, how the hell did this country ever become the worlds most powerful country??? Covid 19 doesn't give a rats tit if its out and about in Manhattan or slumin it out the back of the Bush ranch in Texas. 

Edited by chainarong

1 hour ago, utalkin2me said:

"If one thousand kids get covid and nobody dies, this is actually a good thing"

Who looks after those kids? Their parents or grandparents, how do you know they will not pass this onto them and some may die. Not a good thing then, for the victims and for the kids left with no primary carer.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stevenl said:

Time to ban tiktok.

Sarcasm I suppose ?  If not I would be worried ... ????.

I can see a brilliant future for MrT post presidency on the lecture circuit ..... Actually a much better idea when I come to think to think of it ... He should do stand up comedy of himself....