U.S. coronavirus 'extraordinarily widespread', say White House experts

webfact

8 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Sarcasm I suppose ?  If not I would be worried ... ????.

I can see a brilliant future for MrT post presidency on the lecture circuit ..... Actually a much better idea when I come to think to think of it ... He should do stand up comedy of himself....

They should do a good stand-up routine about all the hysteric, panicked Cassandras who declared the end of the world and civilization because of this virus, but then turned out to be completely wrong.

From Johns Hopkins Aug. 3 CV report:

The US CDC reported 4.60 million total cases (58,947 new) and 154,002 deaths (1,132 new). The US has reported more than 1,000 new deaths for 10 of the past 12 days, and it is currently averaging more than 1,100 new deaths per day, the highest average since May 25. California surpassed 500,000 cases; Florida is reporting nearly 475,000; New York and Texas are reporting more than 400,000; and 9 additional states are reporting more than 100,000.

The Johns Hopkins CSSE dashboard reported 4.68 million US cases and 154,992 deaths as of 12:45pm on August 3.

The New York Times reported that only 6 of the 25 largest school districts in the country plan on reopening for in-person classes when the school year starts. 

JH had a bit more on the U.S. per capita CV death rate in their July 31 update:

The US represents 22.5% of the global COVID-19 deaths —and 26% of the global cases —despite accounting for only 4.3% of the global population . The US is #9 globally in terms of per capita cumulative deaths —but will likely surpass France as #8 in the coming days.

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/resources/COVID-19/index.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

trumps losing it

Lost it riding down the escalator.

But the HBO/Axios interview with Jonathan Swan was certainly eye-opening. trump looked completely lost. I think his staff are just making cartoons for him which protray the virus situation in unrealistically positive terms.

"We are leading the world in Covid survivors named "Smith".

20 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Lost it riding down the escalator.

But the HBO/Axios interview with Jonathan Swan was certainly eye-opening. trump looked completely lost. I think his staff are just making cartoons for him which protray the virus situation in unrealistically positive terms.

"We are leading the world in Covid survivors named "Smith".

Most media called th

You too kind to use words like eye-opening and lost. Other media reported this as a disaster, embarrassing, absurd and utter fool of himself. The best part was this shamble of an interview is now viewed by over 40 million times across all platforms including social media. Another own goal Donny. 
https://www.vox.com/2020/8/4/21354055/trump-axios-interview-jonathan-swan

On 8/3/2020 at 11:28 PM, shdmn said:

Part of the problem in the US is high obesity rates.  The virus tends to affect those people more severely.  Strangely, I don't see anyone in any sort of leadership position suggesting people try lose weight and get some exercise.  When Michelle Obama tried doing it way back in 2009 she was, of course, mocked by wingnuts but what else is new.

The current occupant of the WH is the poster child of obesity and poor lifestyle choices and those are the least of his flaws.  So he's certainly of no help.

We could argue the reason for both the numbers in the chart and the reasons for the death rates. But the numbers show that about 3.3% of the people that get the virus in the Us die, where it is 15% in the UK and 16% in Italy, and about the same in France.

On 8/2/2020 at 4:54 PM, taxout said:

Keep your eye on what counts: deaths and hospitalizations, not reported infections.

Look at the chart of Covid deaths over the past several months (Table 1):

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

Does that chart suggest we've now entered a dangerously critical new phase?

Met a woman in Los Angeles recently.  50 something, no health problems. Was infected with COVID 19 spent 90 days in hospital.  Home now, kidney dialysis 3xs/wk, supplemental oxygen 24 hours/day.

But not dead so all is well.

16 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

We could argue the reason for both the numbers in the chart and the reasons for  the death rates. But the numbers show that about 3.3% of the people that get the virus in the Us die, where it is 15% in the UK and 16% in Italy, and about the same in France.

Yes, the latest numbers on case-fatality rates I see from Johns Hopkins say 15.1% for the UK (2nd worst in the world) and 14.2% for Italy, (3rd worst in the world), both trailing Yemen as the worst.  And yes, the U.S. case fatality rate is about 3.3% in comparison.

But at noted elsewhere, that statistic measures what happens to people AFTER they contract the virus. It doesn't measure at all HOW WIDELY the virus has spread in a country or what share of the country's population is getting sick or killed, which generally are considered more crucial stats in the big picture scheme of things.

But as for the U.S. 3.3% case fatality rate, that places the U.S. somewhere in the 30-40th rank among all countries in terms of those with the highest case fatality rate. So nowhere near the worst, but even farther from the best.

Misc other countries by comparison:

Cuba 3.3%

Nicaragua 3.2%

Somalia 2.9%

Japan 2.5%

Panama 2.2%

South Korea 2.1%

Russia 1.7%

Thailand 1.7%

Taiwan 1.5%

Saudi Arabia 1.1%

Israel 0.7%

So, 3.3% case fatality rate is not exactly anything for the U.S. to be crowing about....

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Dipsticks do not come any bigger than the one with orange hair. 

Yes it is widespread, wonder why? 

Whatever happened to "it's just the "flu, it will go away soon"??

There were even more dipsticks on TVF saying the same thing, they all seem to be a little quieter now but still clutching at straws such as natural herd immunity

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

There were even more dipsticks on TVF saying the same thing, they all seem to be a little quieter now but still clutching at straws such as natural herd immunity

Go ahead and pop on over to this thread and let us know that the Atlantic aritcle is full of dipsticks and what is shown in that article is nonsense.

“We just keep running the models, and it keeps coming back at less than 20 percent,” Gomes said. “It’s very striking.”

Edited by steelepulse

5 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Go ahead and pop on over to this thread and let us know that the Atlantic aritcle is full of dipsticks and what is shown in that article is nonsense.

“We just keep running the models, and it keeps coming back at less than 20 percent,” Gomes said. “It’s very striking.”

Yes I did notice that before did not really interest me due to it being carried out solely by an international group of mathematicians to run models. I would prefer some input from epidemiologists and to see the actual published study together with some reviews by peers, then I would certainly be interested to delve in, currently I'm left with a quote in the same article:

“During the last few months, we’ve started talking about ‘natural herd immunity’ and what would be used to block future waves,” says Shweta Bansal, an associate professor at Georgetown University who studies how social interactions influence infectious diseases. She worries that many people conflate academic projections about reaching herd immunity with a “let it run wild” fatalism. “My view is that trying to take that route would lead to mass death and devastation,” she says.

All coronavirus opinions have gotten completely ridiculous. They are fueled by emotion, ego, fear, and stupidity. 

I would rather listen to a kindergardener's thoughts on the Watergate Scandal before I listen to people's thoughts on coronovirus. 

Everyone is scared. Nobody is speaking the truth. People only say what they think others want to hear. That is why when a doctor or other leading professional has a dissenting opinion, it is much more important to listen to them, and more heavily weight their thoughts. All the other mindless covid commentary is just posturing.

How much further do we need to look other than the refusal of everyone to talk about the success of Sweden to prove all of this? They have conquered the virus, yet nobody reports this fact. 

Everything you hear, see and think about covid is utter nonsense. Never seen anything like it. 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

How much further do we need to look other than the refusal of everyone to talk about the success of Sweden to prove all of this? They have conquered the virus, yet nobody reports this fact. 

Probably because Sweden, with 5700+ CV deaths thus far, has one of the top 10 highest per capita CV death rates among all countries in the world, even higher per capita rate than the U.S., and as much as 10 times higher than its neighboring countries like Denmark, Finland and Norway, according to Johns Hopkins.

Screenshot_2.jpg.aa0bfcec7e219e1c72a4be1fcf2d4166.jpg

But, at least their daily confirmed CV case counts have been trending down, although still running a couple of hundred new cases per day

:

Screenshot_3.jpg.ab01e9f6180b0edf3b0894cf7bb06ec4.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

If Trump was the winner in the election, it will be solely due to the choice of Biden as his opponent.  Don't get me wrong, I would be delighted to see Trump vanquished at the ballot box by a relatively weak opponent.  Biden comes across as everyone's favourite uncle.  He is sensibly letting Trump dig his own grave and not taking the bait for some of Trump's rancorous idiotic statements.  We have the head to head debates to come and things may change, but in the meantime Trump has a few opportunities to convince the nation not to vote for him.