Are Thailand's coronavirus numbers too good to be true?

webfact

On 8/3/2020 at 10:59 PM, samtab said:

True or not who cares ? the virus is clearly still here and can wake up anytime.

The virus' possible dormant characteristics are currently discussed in medical circles.

I wonder, with, possibly, many mild cases of the infection (and little testing) in Thailand, what the situation will look like in a year from now.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

Just now, essox essox said:

he was put in quarrantine.....so in theory could NOT infect anyone else !!!

No he had left quarantine before he tested positive and then left the country before the Thais found out. Thats why it was such an issue.

• Thanks 2

On 8/3/2020 at 7:21 AM, Don Mega said:

Its amazing that Egyptian Military fella did not infect anyone.

They tested 7000 and not one positive case could be found. She he didn't infect anyone and neither were any asymptomatic carriers found. 

I'ts better to continue mask wearing/social distancing as much as possible. Vietman slacked off with the mask wearing, so new their infection spread quietly for several days before the first patient showed symptoms - he is in ICU now. I don't see the Thai government changing their stance much in light of what is going on overseas. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

They really won't. 

Their economy is also not reliant on tourism. 

In this case i think they will. There is a lot of money to be made from tourism in this part of the world now that Thailand has really closed it's borders and Vietnam will want some of that pie, along with the Philippines.

When people go to Vietnam and the Philippines and see what they can gt for there money there compared to Thailand a lot wont be returning to Thailand.

It's different for people like me who are married to Thais and i have been for many years, but if you are a single bloke i say go for it in Vietnam and the Philippines.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

theyre not being reported in many parts of the country as there is no mechanism for doing so

What the infections? MoPH has very good guidelines for reporting for hospitals, that they got nailed down. Credit where credit is due.

It's another question if the POI screening is still ongoing or if they are actively trying to find clusters. Probably not, nor would it make much sense right now. The death toll is acceptable (6-7.5k excess, likely mostly elderly) and the virus that made rounds here isn't the world killer bug it was first advertised to be. All efforts should be concentrated on building a rapid response test & trace system and keep opening up.

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

So when anti-mask, anti social-distancing protestors called for Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer to be lynched, shot, beaten or beheaded and then forced their way into the state capitol building carrying guns, swastikas, nooses and confederate flags, that wasn't extreme or over-zealous at all?

https://www.newsweek.com/michigan-closes-down-capitol-face-death-threats-armed-protesters-against-gov-whitmer-1504241

And this is what happened when a park ranger tried to explain the social distancing rules in Texas

• Haha 1

I find it idiocy that people think tourism is just going to pop back as if the world hasn't suffered a gigantic economic impact. You can't even send a letter or package regular mail to many nations right now. Average people have lost tons on the crisis and millions have lost their jobs. Nothing is going to come back as it once was. Besides long before the virus, Thailand was going down. Younger people aren't interested in Thailand the same way. Many see Asia as the source of the outbreak so that will scare off many as well. The only thing that might drive people to visit Asia in higher amounts than normal is poverty or on the extreme end such as a long term economic and social collapse of some western nations like the US.

48 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

I find it idiocy that people think tourism is just going to pop back as if the world hasn't suffered a gigantic economic impact. You can't even send a letter or package regular mail to many nations right now. Average people have lost tons on the crisis and millions have lost their jobs. Nothing is going to come back as it once was. Besides long before the virus, Thailand was going down. Younger people aren't interested in Thailand the same way. Many see Asia as the source of the outbreak so that will scare off many as well. The only thing that might drive people to visit Asia in higher amounts than normal is poverty or on the extreme end such as a long term economic and social collapse of some western nations like the US.

What might get people to visit Thailand is easier entry rules and a weaker Baht.

Other countries in the region are going to be more welcoming than Thailand and that will create wealth and jobs for them countries