Are Thailand's coronavirus numbers too good to be true?

webfact

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Go to Pattaya and see how almost no one wears masks and not to mention social distancing, what is the real truth? no one really knows, but as it is, its suits me fine...

Really? All the shops I go into have people wearing masks. Outside areas I would agree.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Considering they are claiming 60+ days virus free, with the exception of those returning, and put in quarantine, one must be suspicious as to why they are so insistent on mask wearing, social distancing, state of emergency etc. But can anyone trust anything that comes out of a current government member's mouth ?

"Considering they are claiming 60+ road death free days, one must be suspicious why they are so insistent on seat belt wearing, distance between vehicles, police checkpoints, etc."

You see how crazy that sounds?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Myran said:

"Considering they are claiming 60+ road death free days, one must be suspicious why they are so insistent on seat belt wearing, distance between vehicles, police checkpoints, etc."

You see how crazy that sounds?

At some point in the future, the virus will reappear in Thailand. If everyone is wearing a mask, social distancing etc., the impact will be negligible.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Considering they are claiming 60+ days virus free, with the exception of those returning, and put in quarantine, one must be suspicious as to why they are so insistent on mask wearing, social distancing, state of emergency etc. But can anyone trust anything that comes out of a current government member's mouth ?

Not really, their tourist numbers are rubbery, like tourist figures are released two days after the quarter has finished, it should take about six months to gather all that information 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

For Covid 19 Thailand #1 with 3000+ case and deaths at under 100.  Number of Covid 19 Tests administered so far????   Sounds great.

USA:  60 Million Covid 19 Tests Administered(so far_

4.7 Million Positive Covid 19 Tests(So far)

156,000 Deaths(So far).

At the least the CDC publishes the actual number of Covid 19 Tests.  The actual number could be more because many Private Clinics offer Covid 19 PCR Test for a price.  Many of the USA Covid 19 Tests were actually free of charge.  

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

Masks, social distance, wash hands= good way. 

The anti maskers, anti vaxxers, anti everything loons countrys...

C666F996-C683-4F60-A7B3-C7503557A9E6.jpeg

So you call Western Australia loony as well? We have no local transmitted

cases just a couple in quarantine from overseas returnees and nobody

wears a mask here. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, robblok said:

I would say Thailand did great and they did. However like in all countries they under reported. The US and UK and much of Europe also under reported.

The BBC did a great article by comparing average death rates over a period with the death rates during covid. This is about the gold standard of testing as you can see how many more people died then normal. Then you can attribute that to COVID with reasonable safety. Its not perfect but the best of all methods. Most deniers wont like it as it shows higher numbers everywhere.

Thailand had also more deaths so its not as succesffull as it claims but far better then most other countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53073046

Thailand.JPG

Even if the 2,400 excess deaths were all due to COVID, Thailand is doing way, way better than the UK with its 45,000 reported deaths (getting on for 20 times more than Thailand's excess deaths).

I don't have the figures, but it would be interesting to compare the UK's excess deaths against Thailand's for the exact same period.  

2 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Even if the 2,400 excess deaths were all due to COVID, Thailand is doing way, way better than the UK with its 45,000 reported deaths (getting on for 20 times more than Thailand's excess deaths).

I don't have the figures, but it would be interesting to compare the UK's excess deaths against Thailand's for the exact same period.  

Yes Thailand has done a great job. That was my conclusion too far better then Europe and the UK. 

You have those numbers they are in the same article. Just read. That is why i said the UK under reported too.

It can't be denied that Thailand did great only the Thaibashers are doing that. Numbers don't lie.

2 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

I was in a disco on Saturday night completely full, no social distancing or masks inside except for the staff. So the comments of everyone wearing masks in Pattaya are incorrect. 

Same in disco in Bangkok.  Thong lor pubs and discos were full with no masks and social distancing

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Nothing to do with LOS location then, I mean, Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, are they dropping like flies....?

Their "reported" figures much the same..

Are you saying the above countries also did a great job...?

Yes of course, especially Vietnam. Any country that kept their numbers down did a great job especially tourist countries like Thailand. Europe and the UK did far worse. In cases like this autocratic governments just do better then liberal governments. 

In my country they still can't legally make people wear masks. Not a problem in the countries you named. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

I was in a disco on Saturday night completely full, no social distancing or masks inside except for the staff. So the comments of everyone wearing masks in Pattaya are incorrect. 

Uh? I thought that all discos in Pattaya were still closed (not authorised to open).

Did I miss some news about that? :unsure:

Last week i go to a private big hospital for some reasons and they said want test covid-19 from every body for free and answer test to prepare with 24 hours and send to me with sms ! 
now after 10 days no sms from that hospital ! 
i call one time but no clear answer from that information lady ! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Dunno why you’re so sensitive about justified criticism of Thailand?

I don't think he is "so sensitive about (alleged) justified criticism of Thailand", maybe he like the great silent majority on ThaVisa, he is just peed off with nonesense comments about Thailand, that they have totoally failed to justifiy with facts. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rtco said:

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point.

Nicely found but it depends on the numbers. The numbers in the article are pretty accurate. 

7 hours ago, Yinn said:

Masks, social distance, wash hands= good way. 

The anti maskers, anti vaxxers, anti everything loons countrys...

C666F996-C683-4F60-A7B3-C7503557A9E6.jpeg

We will see the numbers when your pleasant Chinese hordes are let  back in. And yes if you look European countries they opened borders inside the EU Schengen zone they saved alot of jobs especially in Tourism sector. And as you can see Italy, Germany, France the countries with population similar as Thailand have runned economy and have 1-2 deaths per day reported so you want to say everyone is social distancing in Euroe now? I see a lot of tourists travelling all around Europe. So Yinn your country is already preparing measures to let big Chinese numbers back in and than you will see the real picture. 

Edited by NB1986
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Go to Pattaya and see how almost no one wears masks and not to mention social distancing, what is the real truth? no one really knows, but as it is, its suits me fine...

Rubbish. Strict controls are in place in Pattaya once you enter any shop or mall. Temp taken, scan with phone, for those who are not ignorant enough to to this, hand gel etc. screens up at counters. There is no law as yet in Thailand that enforces you to wear a mask outdoors.

Edited by ianezy0