Windows 10 2004 Improvements and Fixes

anchadian

55 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Or, you can install this major update now by going to Windows update settings and then view optional updates and install KB4568831

I have Win Pro and no such option shows on my system!

7 hours ago, thedemon said:

You can force the update to 2004 by using the Microsoft Update Assistant.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I am avoiding doing that as my Asus notebook only has 8gb of available space...if you force the update and it needs more than 8gb what happens then?

2 minutes ago, petermik said:

I am avoiding doing that as my Asus notebook only has 8gb of available space...if you force the update and it needs more than 8gb what happens then?

If there isn't a minimum of 10GB available the update won't proceed.

Of course you can always offload some data somewhere else e.g. USB drive) so that there is temorarily 10GB available, do the update, use Disk Cleanup/Windows Update Cleanup to recover the disk space used during the update and then copy back the offloaded data.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fangless said:

I have Win Pro and no such option shows on my system!

1862624439_update11.jpg.9941b1f3285660284ea704ce3fbe452a.jpg

Just updated my personal notebook this morning; you should see something like this after updating:

1506539091_update1.jpg.e62f9b213e79f912ae1654cbfec6583f.jpg

"Winver" will show this version:

116023024_update2.jpg.bd726939896ee9336590fc692a71952e.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thedemon said:

You can force the update to 2004 by using the Microsoft Update Assistant

Once bitten twice shy. Anything beta from Microsoft isn't worth forcing. Funnily enough I have 2004 working on a VMware virtual machine on the same PC with 1909 as latest version as os. The VM works, but I don't see much tempting in 2004 for force an update on my main rig.

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 computer and, even though the hardware was engineered by Microsoft, it is *still* not compatible with Win10 v.2004 (May 2020 Update).  Thanks, Microsoft, for not even being able to upgrade the OS on your own hardware.

On 8/3/2020 at 11:27 AM, chrisinth said:

1862624439_update11.jpg.9941b1f3285660284ea704ce3fbe452a.jpg

Just updated my personal notebook this morning; you should see something like this after updating:

1506539091_update1.jpg.e62f9b213e79f912ae1654cbfec6583f.jpg

"Winver" will show this version:

116023024_update2.jpg.bd726939896ee9336590fc692a71952e.jpg

Please note those where optional non-security "preview" updates that MS has started doing again.  Some people consider "preview" to mean "beta" although MS says they are production quality updates.  Additionally, these preview updates will be replaced by the Update Tuesday updates. 

Although I installed the optional preview updates this time, after reading below I probably will not in the future....not be a MS beta, excuse me preview, tester.  Just wait for the Update Tuesday updates which would hopefully include fixes to any bugs found in the preview update releases....found by the guinea pigs.   

The Update Tuesday updates are the really important updates and of course any critical updates MS can push out at any time.

See below Microsoft partial quote....see the weblink for more details.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/resuming-optional-windows-10-and-windows-server-non-security/ba-p/1471429

In March, we announced that we would pause optional non-security update releases (also referred to as "C" and "D" releases) for all supported versions of Windows client and Windows Server to give organizations time to focus on business continuity in the face of the global pandemic. Based on feedback and the ongoing stabilization of business continuity, we will resume optional releases in July of 2020 for Windows 10 and Windows Server, version 1809 and later, to once again provide you with the ability to test planned non-security fixes targeted for the next month’s Update Tuesday (or "B") release. We are also instituting a few changes to simplify the update process and help you continue to stay current with Windows 10 and Windows Server.

First, in response to feedback, these validated, production-quality optional releases will be now called "Preview" releases for clarity, and will be offered only for Windows 10 and Windows Server, version 1809 and later. You will see the naming change reflected in the release title as shown in the example on the Windows Update page in Settings below:.....

Second, to simplify update management for IT, these "Preview" releases will be delivered in the "C" week only. There is no change to the cumulative monthly security updates (also referred to as the "B" release or Update Tuesday release). These releases will continue to contain all previous updates to keep your users protected and productive.

• Like 1

Well, it worked OK. Can't say a quick browse of all the improvements and fixes rang any bells, unless you count a notification of beer o'clock.

Just joking, that was already installed.

my pc broke a few days ago, i had to install a new hard drive and win 10,

the guy at the shop did the decent thing and installed win update stop,

so i wont get degraded performance and increased junk on my drive for

every passing month until heat death of universe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scammed said:

i had to install a new hard drive and win 10,

the guy at the shop did the decent thing and installed win update stop

He probably installed a dodgy copy full of <deleted>, which he probably charged you 500 Baht for.

Why didn't you install it yourself and buy a key from eBay or lazada for a couple of 100 Baht.

I hope you had an SSD installed rather than the HDD that you suggested.

Always worked good for me but I got a PC with a lot of memory and space. If you got a cheap or older one then maybe your idea is good. Your leaving yourself open for hackers though. 

I havent had a problem on any of my computers with win 10 ever since getting them. But all these computers are quite good with large m2 SSD's and loads of memory (32 gb) and and I7 processors. 

18 minutes ago, elfpattaya said:

He probably installed a dodgy copy full of <deleted>, which he probably charged you 500 Baht for.

Why didn't you install it yourself and buy a key from eBay or lazada for a couple of 100 Baht.

I hope you had an SSD installed rather than the HDD that you suggested.

my computer was broken, i could not boot it,

i got a bootable usb while i was at it,

unfortunately he overwrote both my usb sticks so i lost all my passwords.

i had old style hdd and he installed an ssd 240 gb,

i intended to do this upgrade in the future anyway so its not all <deleted>

3 hours ago, Pib said:

Please note those where optional non-security "preview" updates that MS has started doing again.  Some people consider "preview" to mean "beta" although MS says they are production quality updates.  Additionally, these preview updates will be replaced by the Update Tuesday updates. 

Although I installed the optional preview updates this time, after reading below I probably will not in the future....not be a MS beta, excuse me preview, tester.  Just wait for the Update Tuesday updates which would hopefully include fixes to any bugs found in the preview update releases....found by the guinea pigs.   

The Update Tuesday updates are the really important updates and of course any critical updates MS can push out at any time.

See below Microsoft partial quote....see the weblink for more details.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/resuming-optional-windows-10-and-windows-server-non-security/ba-p/1471429

Yep, very important to point that out; it certainly won't affect the majority of users on W10 2004 without problems to delay these 'fix' updates.

As I have mentioned before, I have reasons for getting the latest and greatest as soon as possible (before the other users get this).

I understand that everyone has their own views on this. But for the reasons you give, I don't think that stopping windows updates is the decent thing to do. Even if you only have a 40/80/120 GB HDD installed. If you don't like the already installed disk cleanup utility, there are plenty of free tools out there to keep the OS healthy.

9 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Yep, very important to point that out; it certainly won't affect the majority of users on W10 2004 without problems to delay these 'fix' updates.

As I have mentioned before, I have reasons for getting the latest and greatest as soon as possible (before the other users get this).

Yea, these optional preview releases really do not need to be distributed to everyone like this other MS article explains below.   These optional preview releases are more for testing for some...like IT managers needing to test and control what gets updated/distributed on a company network, etc. 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/windows-10-update-servicing-cadence/ba-p/222376

In most cases, “C” and “D” releases do not need be deployed to your broader device ecosystem. Instead, you can use these releases to identify any issues that could impact your next “B” deployment and provide feedback. This helps you get a head start on testing and understanding the potential impact of updates and gives you a chance to provide suggestions before those updates are officially released, providing a smoother and more tailored experience when the “B” release comes around.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 8:50 PM, thedemon said:

You can force the update to 2004 by using the Microsoft Update Assistant.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

11 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 computer and, even though the hardware was engineered by Microsoft, it is *still* not compatible with Win10 v.2004 (May 2020 Update).  Thanks, Microsoft, for not even being able to upgrade the OS on your own hardware.

I tried using the Microsoft Update Assistant.  It downloaded the files and then ever-so-slowly installed up to the 80% range and then flipped to a BSOD (KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED).  Tried a second time with same result

So, I guess Microsoft is correct that my Surface Pro 6 is not yet ready.  But, for <deleted>'s sake, Microsoft, why not, when it's your own hardware, software and operating system?

Strangely, other SP6 users have reported on a Surface users forum that they have been pushed the Spring 2020 Update.  

Edited by wpcoe

8 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I tried using the Microsoft Update Assistant.  It downloaded the files and then ever-so-slowly installed up to the 80% range and then flipped to a BSOD (KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED).  Tried a second time with same result

So, I guess Microsoft is correct that my Surface Pro 6 is not yet ready.  But, for <deleted>'s sake, Microsoft, why not, when it's your own hardware, software and operating system?

Strangely, other SP6 users have reported on a Surface users forum that they have been pushed the Spring 2020 Update.  

Yes that's a bit strange. I have some older Surface Pros and they have all updated to 2004 ok.

I normally download the iso and update by running install on top of the existing installation. You could try that.

30 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Yes that's a bit strange. I have some older Surface Pros and they have all updated to 2004 ok.

I normally download the iso and update by running install on top of the existing installation. You could try that.

I've been thinking about a clean install.  I usually do one about every six months.  I could try it with v.2004 and if it bombs out, simply re-install a clean version of v.1909.

Wouldn't an in-place upgrade via an .iso be the same as using the Microsoft Update Assistant?

I wonder if my upgrade to Win10 Pro (legally purchased key) is an issue.  Maybe MS is only tailoring Win10 Home to fit the Surface Pro hardware?  <shrug>

My PC finally updated itself today, I didn't force it, to 2004.

Now the taskbar and start menu all an ugly light grey color whereas before in 1909 they were dark color that blended better with my icons. If I go to settings and try to change the taskbar/start-menu color under 'Choose your accent color' and 'Show accent color on the following surfaces' the option check box for the Start, taskbar and action center' is greyed out!

Since this is the main part of the o/s I interface with daily it seems like a major cock up to me?

@Digitalbanana:  Have you tried changing Themes?  I can't remember exactly where I did it, but a while ago I changed my Windows Desktop theme to some "dark" variation, and my task bar has remained dark-ish (not a deep black, but a dark grey,) even with the v.2004 update.

On 8/15/2020 at 2:46 PM, Digitalbanana said:

My PC finally updated itself today, I didn't force it, to 2004.

Now the taskbar and start menu all an ugly light grey color whereas before in 1909 they were dark color that blended better with my icons. If I go to settings and try to change the taskbar/start-menu color under 'Choose your accent color' and 'Show accent color on the following surfaces' the option check box for the Start, taskbar and action center' is greyed out!

Since this is the main part of the o/s I interface with daily it seems like a major cock up to me?

@Digitalbanana :

My taskbar is still dark blue after upgrading to 2004 yesterday.

Sounds like your default Windows mode or your colour is set to Light.

Go to Settings>>Personalisation>>Colours>>

Under Choose your colour I have selected Custom

Set your default Windows mode to Dark 

Scroll down to the bottom and make sure that the box for Start, Taskbar and action centre under Show the accent colour on the following surfaces is not ticked. This box is greyed out if your Windows mode is set to Light.  HTH

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

My taskbar is still dark blue after upgrading to 2004 yesterday.

Sounds like your default Windows mode or your colour is set to Light.

Go to Settings>>Personalisation>>Colours>>

Under Choose your colour I have selected Custom

Set your default Windows mode to Dark 

Scroll down to the bottom and make sure that the box for Start, Taskbar and action centre under Show the accent colour on the following surfaces is not ticked. This box is greyed out if your Windows mode is set to Light.  HTH

Brilliant thanks - that worked. I messed up before and did not choose Custom like you explained but selected Dark as well as selecting Windows mode to Dark so everything went dark (Windows Explorer etc) which I didn't like. Having TWO Dark options to pick and choose was too much for me at the time! ????

Your method means just my taskbar is dark again like before so answers my point precisely thanks.

• Like 1