Foreign dive instructors set to begin search for four missing in Koh Samui ferry sinking

webfact

Foreign dive instructors set to begin search for four missing in Koh Samui ferry sinking

2pm.jpg

Picture: Than Settakij

Than Settakij reported that teams of foreign dive instructors and Thai rescue personnel from Koh Tao were preparing to help in searching for four people missing after the ferry from Koh Samui to the mainland sank at the weekend.

Ten foreigners and about 7/8 Thais were due to set off with 40 oxygen tanks aboard a police launch from Koh Tao this morning at 6 am.

There are fears that the missing people are trapped inside the ferry.

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Than Settakij

Yesterday the rescue teams were studying the layout of the boat in preparation for the rescue attempt. 

The media reported that one person was reported to have died in the tragedy so far. 

Source: Than Settakij

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-03

21 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Are the necessary work permits in order?

If one of your loved ones was trapped, you wouldn't be asking about work permits now would you?

How inconsiderate considering there could be a number of deaths.

30 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Are the necessary work permits in order?

Someone with so many posts, an experienced forum member should be able to rise above the instinct to make the borish and pointless comments...  

....here’s a list for you to avoid the following imbecilic comments and words in future !!!!!

- Do they have a work permit for that

- If you don’t like it go home

- We’re all guests here

- Its the foreigners fault

- How were you dressed

- Two week millonaire 

- Nanny state

- Sheeple

and a new one... Plandemic.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Someone with so many posts, an experienced forum member should be able to rise above the instinct to make the borish and pointless comments...  

....here’s a list for you to avoid the following imbecilic comments and words in future !!!!!

- Do they have a work permit for that

- If you don’t like it go home

- We’re all guests here

- Its the foreigners fault

- How were you dressed

- Two week millonaire 

- Nanny state

- Sheeple

and a new one... Plandemic.

The point that I was trying to make is that when 'they' need help or assistance, the 'rules' never seem, to need to be applied. As a seasoned member on here, this annoys and frustrates me.

If we are virus carrying, women stealing, disgusting foreigners, then that is what we are. If we are constructive, helpful and responsible members of Thai society, then treat us as such and afford us the same things that we provide to THai citizens in our countries.

Let's begin with marriage - if I marry a Thai citizen, I want the ability to get citizenship in a laid out time frame, and the clear procedure to do so.

I could have done without your imbecillic comment.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Little out-of-order remark for a rescue

No, it's not out of order. Either the rules apply in their entirety, or they don't apply at all. Pick one Thailand.

Applying rules when it suits, and passing over them when it doesn't, is grossly unfair to those of us that have lived here with families for over a decade. You want help Thailand- then reciprocate.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

If one of your loved ones was trapped, you wouldn't be asking about work permits now would you?

No, I wouldn't be asking, but hark back to Tsunami times, and try to remember their need for a WP then, from foreigners willing to help.

Want to volunteer and help those less privileged than you in Thailand (think hill tribe) and a WP is needed. There is no flexibility with immigration unless you are using an agent, so let's abide by that inflexibility, and insist on proper procedures being followed if Thailand wants assistance from foreigners.

Quid Pro Quo.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Yesterday the rescue teams were studying the layout of the boat in preparation for the rescue attempt. 

Good luck, let’s hope that there are survivors and they are able to get them out. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

They aren't trained to cope with dead bodies

Exactly, and will Thailand provide them with the necessary help when there are psychological issues later? If they get into difficulties underwater and maybe don't resurface, will Thailand step up and compensate their nearest and dearest - Nope. ????

Their problem - let them figure it out themselves. After all, they continually say that Thailand is for Thais. ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

It's not his fault these are the laws of Thailand.

You're also correct - why should volunteers and emergency staff need work permits? Well, ask Prayut or someone with the domain knowledge to see if they can figure out why they're happy to get the farang to save them from caves, tsunamis and boating accidents, but technically require work permits for everyone doing it.

Once you get a proper answer, you can let the rest of us know ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mike787 said:

A gofund could help with costs and berevment related support. 

I would hope and imagine that the Raja Ferry company are well insured however as a regular traveller on these ferries I have always been concerned regarding safety as there is never any announcements as to what to do in case of emergencies.i always make sure that I sit near the life jackets sadly there is very little if any health and safety in Thailand . There is no mention as to whether any of the lifeboats were launched .RIP to the deceased I hope those missing will be recovered as quickly as possible and I am confused why Foreign divers are being used in the recovery I hope that they have adequate equipment so that they don’t put there own lives in jeapody.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for your reply, but do you really think that dive instructors don't have the necessary permits,

If they do have permits, then they are tied to the companies that they work for and their vessels. They will also have a contract on employment and the labour laws, that dictate what they can and cannot do, as part and parcel of having a WP.

You can be damn sure, that their permit does not allow them to do search and rescue for any external company, and especially for a government institution. Therefore they will be volunteering illegally! However, it will be overlooked as they are helping out.

Like I said, sure, we as foreigners are more than happy to help out, as many have testified to on here on TVF. But, if you want foreigners help, then reciprocate and treat us as equals. Otherwise, Thailand, do it yourself, cause after all, you are the centre of the universe and are definitely number one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thequietman said:

Exactly, and will Thailand provide them with the necessary help when there are psychological issues later? If they get into difficulties underwater and maybe don't resurface, will Thailand step up and compensate their nearest and dearest - Nope. ????

Their problem - let them figure it out themselves. After all, they continually say that Thailand is for Thais. ????

Handling a dead body is much easier than one alive and in panic. Dead people don't make silly things.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Deli said:

Handling a dead body is much easier than one alive and in panic. Dead people don't make silly things.

I take  it you never lifted a dead body. That a stiff after being there for a while and because they are dead they cannot assist being lifted. 80 kilo body is a lot easier to lift if alive but one that is dead is like lifting a wardrobe with loads for draws all. Over the place different  parts more heavier than other parts and over rocks and obstacles 

5 hours ago, thequietman said:

Get over your bitterness, really.

• Haha 2

On 8/3/2020 at 7:45 AM, thequietman said:

No, it's not out of order. Either the rules apply in their entirety, or they don't apply at all. Pick one Thailand.

Applying rules when it suits, and passing over them when it doesn't, is grossly unfair to those of us that have lived here with families for over a decade. You want help Thailand- then reciprocate.

Asking Thailand to follow rules?

Come on now, you have a better chance of winning the lottery 3 or times.