Is this the final extension ?

3 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I'm sure that is what they want, but it then requires that another country accepts you, whereas your own country should - I was drawing on the rules for deportation - you can't be deported to a third country - only your passport country (or where you came from?)

Fair point,, but I don't think Immigration will care about that - as Jackcwba said, people have had plenty of time to get out, most have chosen not to. 

If Immigration give you a 7 day stamp the onus is on you, not them, to get out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Fair point,, but I don't think Immigration will care about that - as Jackcwba said, people have had plenty of time to get out, most have chosen not to

That is correct and that is also why the upper inner circle at the immigration in Chaeng Wattana feels cheated about this entire ordeal.

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Fair point,, but I don't think Immigration will care about that - as Jackcwba said, people have had plenty of time to get out, most have chosen not to. 

If Immigration give you a 7 day stamp the onus is on you, not them, to get out.

Absolutely that is how it will be for any country where there have been direct flights (indirect flights is a wild card). If you come from a country that is closed, maybe where no direct flight and can get an embassy letter then you will be able to extend. Otherwise not IMO.

Again there is a wildcard: I think the authorities are making it clear this extension of the original is a grace period to leave, but from a pure pragmatism point of view the IDC can't accommodate thousands, so if it is a situation where there are still thousands of people still here they may err on the side of pragmatism and extend. Mass arrests of people for being on overstay, who the foreign press would portray as people unable to leave, would not be a good look.

I am looking at potentialscenarios rather than absolute certainty.

Edited by mokwit

17 minutes ago, mokwit said:
19 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

So you think that immigration are going to have different rules for every single nationality on Earth? 

They have already said case by case

AFAIK, the 'case by case' caveat applies to foreigners wishing to use repatriation flight to re-enter Thailand. Beyond the rules at the airport, onboard the plane and at your destination, there's no real need for a 'case by case' review of foreigners who don't want to go home.

I agree that there will be a few, very few who can't go home easily but I think we can agree that being scared of the situation in one's homeland or disagreement with their rules won't hold water here any more.

Edited by NanLaew

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It's not immigration who decides about an extension, so these guys are just guessing, same as everybody else. Immigration was already against the current extension, but the Cabinet still granted it.

I would say that a further extension is unlikely, but of course not impossible. Nobody knows what the Cabinet will decide in 8 weeks.

I'll predict if the land borders to neighbouring countries are still closed, and all the labourers are still stuck here, there will be another amnesty extension.

The amnesty isn't for wealthy expats flying in and out, it's for the low paid foreign workers.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

AFAIK, the 'case by case' caveat applies to foreigners wishing to use repatriation flight to re-enter Thailand. Beyond the rules at the airport, onboard the plane and at your destination, there's no need for a 'case by case' review of foreigners who don't want to go home.

I though Imm had said any further extensions would be case by case.

Just now, mokwit said:

I though Imm had said any further extensions would be case by case.

You are correct but the Australian, French, German, American or anyone with flight options and no bars on returning will not need much review. I think this will apply to the majority of 'stranded' pax. However, the passenger from Guinea-Bissau or Kiribati will have an issue, may be considered as legit and given some leeway.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'll predict if the land borders to neighbouring countries are still closed, and all the labourers are still stuck here, there will be another amnesty extension.

The amnesty isn't for wealthy expats flying in and out, it's for the low paid foreign workers.

That's a good point but haven't they distinguished before in some way between people from neighbouring countries and people from elsewhere?

14 minutes ago, GigsGigs said:

That is correct and that is also why the upper inner circle at the immigration in Chaeng Wattana feels cheated about this entire ordeal.

How are they cheated?  They get nothing out of ejecting all these people. Once they are booted from Thailand, they can't come back in....so immigration gets nothing from doing that, unless just to get a "good job" pat on the back?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You are correct but the Australian, French, German, American or anyone with flight options and no bars on returning will not need much review. I think this will apply to the majority of 'stranded' pax. However, the passenger from Guinea-Bissau or Kiribati will have an issue, may be considered as legit and given some leeway.

Pretty much what I meant. If Australian, French, German, American they won't buy it. If you are from e.g. Fiji or Solomon Islands they may.

35 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It's not immigration who decides about an extension, so these guys are just guessing, same as everybody else. Immigration was already against the current extension, but the Cabinet still granted it.

I would say that a further extension is unlikely, but of course not impossible. Nobody knows what the Cabinet will decide in 8 weeks.

my feeling is that this was a climbdown by immigration as the cabinet may have pointed out that there would be chaos if they didn't extend one more time. this time though any "chaos" (nb: international criticism of thailand) can be mitigated by the first line of the order, ie we told you 2 months ago to apply or leave.

and.. the flights are running regularly now so the "can't go home" group has thinned out significantly.

too many are pointing out the reason they are not going home is because its more convenient/safer/fun/etc to be here. thats not going to go down well with the current administration if recent history is anything to go by.

to be honest i'd be absolutely shocked if another extension is granted, i think it would take a major outbreak HERE to change that.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Again there is a wildcard: I think the authorities are making it clear this extension of the original is a grace period to leave, but from a pure pragmatism point of view the IDC can't accommodate thousands, so if it is a situation where there are still thousands of people still here they may err on the side of pragmatism and extend. Mass arrests of people for being on overstay, who the foreign press would portray as people unable to leave, would not be a good look.

i don't think they would even bother rounding 1000's of people up in this situation, rather it would get sorted out at the airport or to a quota of say 100 arrests per day. the onus is still on the foreigner to leave by themselves or face blacklisting as well as the overstay fine.

plus we all know the asian way.. "cut the head of chicken to scare the monkey". its possible they could make a big show out of rounding up some foreigners to scare the rest into submission. again looking back at recent history we could see how this could play out. big joke showed us already how round up overstayers en masse ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Can't trust to good hearth of Thailand coverment! Like have said here many times , all farangs can leave if want and have money! There is enough flight's out here and many good airports for conection flight!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

gov has implied, in the first line no less, extend or leave by 26th.

Government order just extends amnesty.

Nothing else.

As posted by UJ

If you can link me to an official government proclamation, in Thai stating otherwise, I'd be happy to read it.

As far as I know RichardBarrow and Thai Immigration are not the Thai government and have no right to change Thai government proclamations.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jackcwba said:

we are still a while away from september 26 but i already need longer.. its not enough time for me to prepare to leave. 555

gives us till crimbo or the start of 2021.

You've had your two weeks, that's more than enough to dump 50 weeks of saving into the Thai economy.

3 hours ago, Jackcwba said:

It’s not so much that people are ‘stuck’ here.. it’s just much safer here than let’s say back in UK or usa

True that it's safer here (related to Covid), but it's also true that some people are 'stuck' here because they fear that if they leave there's no telling when they might be able to return.

2 minutes ago, finy said:

Can anyone show where international flights are leaving daily or are you just talking rubbish?

https://aot-portal.kdlab.dev/bkk

That website says every flight that isn't cancelled is domestic.

Are you trying to say that you cannot get out of the country ?

Because, if you are, that won't wash with me - and more importantly, it won't wash with Immigration.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Frankfurt any good to you?

image.png.67d2cbd8c6dbe555da6baba40618ccf1.png

Let's see if it's cancelled.

I would leave as soon as possible if there was more than a 5% chance my flight would leave.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, finy said:

Let's see if it's cancelled.

I would leave as soon as possible if there was more than a 5% chance my flight would leave.

You could have gone QR via Doha early this morning, taken EVA direct to London yesterday afternoon and tonight could also hop over to Amsterdam on KLM.