Is this the final extension ?

13 minutes ago, Jackcwba said:

this could also just be scare tactics by them tho.. they don’t know themselves because they don’t make the decision according to some of the Thai visa experts on here.

Maybe they will make an announcement towards the end of August ?

People are perfectly free to believe what they want.

Problem is there is a tendency to start whinging when things do not pan out as expected.

3 minutes ago, Susco said:
5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If circumstances don't change re borders being closed, why should the amnesty situation?

Because regardless of Thai borders closed, people can leave.

The amnesty is surely not intended for those who can't do border runs.

It isn't the leaving that's a problem. It's being able to return for those who have family or business in Thailand. So the amnesty is exactly for those who can't do border runs (in the early days of this it probably applied more to help tourists who couldn't return home, but many of those have left on repatriation flights).

My wife did some calling around. Savannakhet consulate currently open only for Thai business. She was told maybe early September for resumption of regular services.

I am guessing the "maybe" is an unusual acknowledgement of the uncertainties surrounding Covid 19.

I would rather that than the "pie in the sky" we have been getting from some other national "leaders" in the world.

• Like 1

Everytime, most believe the current extension to be the last, usually based on some comment from Immigration (incompetent on the matter). Same old same old. The government doesn't care about the stance of any of its administrations, because the latter are not there to rule but to apply the rule. It's so simple really. My 2 cents: the cabinet will stop extending the amnesty once the situation evolves, which it has not since the beginning of amnesty.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 9:05 AM, Sheryl said:

Impossible to say now. But I do notice that the Thai govt has started arranging and announcing repatriation flights from Thailand to Western countries specifically to enable stranded foreigners to return.

If such flights exist to where you are from and you chose not to avail of them this may be taken into account.

Can you give the source please Sheryl?  Not heard of this.

There are certainly bookable and departing commercial flights, some daily, to various European capitals, with transits if not direct to your EU destination country. And for now at least the EU considers Thailand Covid safe so no quarantining on arrival in the EU. AirFrance requires the wearing of surgical masks or boarding will be denied.

Etihad and so I guess Emirates now require a Covid negative test result as I think the UAE have made this law if flying from, to or through the UAE.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:05 AM, Sheryl said:

Impossible to say now. But I do notice that the Thai govt has started arranging and announcing repatriation flights from Thailand to Western countries specifically to enable stranded foreigners to return.

If such flights exist to where you are from and you chose not to avail of them this may be taken into account.

There's been flights to Europe every week for quite a long time now. A bit more expensive,yes. The reason "I don't want to go home" doesn't work at immigration. Just saying. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

There's been flights to Europe every week for quite a long time now. A bit more expensive,yes. The reason "I don't want to go home" doesn't work at immigration. Just saying. 

Yes but are these flights even reliable? Most people aren't too keen on spending half their savings on one cancelled flight after the other.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Seik said:

Yes but are these flights even reliable? Most people aren't too keen on spending half their savings on one cancelled flight after the other.

Yes these schedules (AF, BR, KL LH, QR) are reliable and have been operating on a proper rotation.

I guess the main issue for many was also that they had TG tickets and TG refused to endorse them over to their Star Alliance partners. So now you have plenty of people sitting around in BKK/TH who have valid TG tickets but the Thai Airways bankruptcy caught up with them.

You can bet that it was indeed the government who told TG to run several commercial flights to Europe and Australia so to clear the amount of people staying behind and taking away their excuse of the cancelled TG tickets. FWIW TG does allow existing tickets to rebook to these flights to LHR/FRA (I checked with them last week).

16 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

Yes these schedules (AF, BR, KL LH, QR) are reliable and have been operating on a proper rotation.

I guess the main issue for many was also that they had TG tickets and TG refused to endorse them over to their Star Alliance partners. So now you have plenty of people sitting around in BKK/TH who have valid TG tickets but the Thai Airways bankruptcy caught up with them.

You can bet that it was indeed the government who told TG to run several commercial flights to Europe and Australia so to clear the amount of people staying behind and taking away their excuse of the cancelled TG tickets. FWIW TG does allow existing tickets to rebook to these flights to LHR/FRA (I checked with them last week).

Those are all for Europe. Anything for the USA?

Edited by audaciousnomad