Video: Help us! Desperate Loei villager pleads for assistance as flood waters rage

webfact

Video: Help us! Desperate Loei villager pleads for assistance as flood waters rage

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A dramatic video from the village of Ban Soop in Muang district of Loei in Thailand's north east showed the area being inundated by flood waters. 

A woman can be heard pleading for help from the authorities saying that the flood waters rose so fast they were unable to save possessions. 

People were trapped in their houses and her battery was running low. 

Sanook reported that heavy rain started falling on Saturday evening and continued all night.

Run off from the hills surrounding the area inundated Ban Soop by morning.

A dam or weir that collapsed contributed to the flooding. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-03

• Sad 1

During the rainy season I hope they try to keep the dams maximum 70% full and release as much water as possible without flooding to maintain this maximum.

This is the function of dams to have space capacity during storms.

But I suspect they like the dams full to provide maximum water for farms after rainy season while disregarding their flood control function.

It is amazing how high these floods can reach. The Loei Princess Hotel has a line on the wall above reception, showing the maximum flood height in (I don't recall when), some three metres above the floor.

The river concerned is normally a fairly insubstantial affair, some 14 metres lower than the hotel, which sits in a relatively open flat plain.

The sheer volume of water concerned is unimagineable.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

I can imagine this being scary as most thais cant swim...time to start keeping a kayak chained up

Thats scary even for someone who can swim. Shame about all the damage to peoples homes and possesions.

I was on holiday in Loei province a couple years ago when it was raining.  I was looking at the river by my hotel rising.  The hotel assured me the government said it will not open the water gates and the river should not rise much more. Water was still at least a meter below the banks and the hotel was above that.  

About 2:00 AM I get a knock no my room and they told me to evacuate immediately.  About 0.5 meters of water in water in the lobby.  The government decided to open the water gate and let the water flow.  They took me to another hotel in Loei.  Fortunately, I was flying out the next morning.

Having just 0.5 meters in the lobby (and rising) was scary.  

Loei is very beautiful - very green and beautiful 

2 hours ago, Grusa said:

It is amazing how high these floods can reach. The Loei Princess Hotel has a line on the wall above reception, showing the maximum flood height in (I don't recall when), some three metres above the floor.

The river concerned is normally a fairly insubstantial affair, some 14 metres lower than the hotel, which sits in a relatively open flat plain.

The sheer volume of water concerned is unimagineable.

My niece in Loei mentioned 2545 (2002) and says it happens about every 20 years or so.  I waded through a meter or so of water on the main street by the market in 1978 or thereabouts. 

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, brianp0803 said:

But I suspect they like the dams full to provide maximum water for farms after rainy season while disregarding their flood control function.

What are your "suspicions" based on? look how much water is in the dams, only one is full, this is very localised flooding!

image.png.f02ac1964a1ce5cdb36f1ab16c36016f.png

11 hours ago, lee b said:

Thats scary even for someone who can swim. Shame about all the damage to peoples homes and possesions.

Agreed Id say a plus is the concrete base and wood up top so maybe less damage and chance of a good scrubbing when all is gone and dried out.....

11 hours ago, brianp0803 said:

I was on holiday in Loei province a couple years ago when it was raining.  I was looking at the river by my hotel rising.  The hotel assured me the government said it will not open the water gates and the river should not rise much more. Water was still at least a meter below the banks and the hotel was above that.  

About 2:00 AM I get a knock no my room and they told me to evacuate immediately.  About 0.5 meters of water in water in the lobby.  The government decided to open the water gate and let the water flow.  They took me to another hotel in Loei.  Fortunately, I was flying out the next morning.

Having just 0.5 meters in the lobby (and rising) was scary.  

Loei is very beautiful - very green and beautiful 

Im guessing not alot of farang or english there, id be up to go check it out with my survival thai