Thailand must welcome back Chinese tourists now says leading tourism chief

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

But Surawat said it was time for the Thais to review how to ensure that more tourism revenue stays in the country and does not flow abroad. 

He was referring to companies - many of them Chinese owned or owned in Thailand through proxies - who are involved in organising group tours. 

Much of the money ends up abroad and not in the hands of Thais. 

Sort of contradicts the OP about how Thailand must let the Chinese tourists back. LOL

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Totally disagree with you.

Foreign tourism is necessary to boost the economy. What's tthe point if most of the money is going elsewhere?

Well at least some of the money ends up in Thai pockets; hotels and restaurants etc, and keeps some Thais in employment.

But surely the 14 days quarantine cannot be changed at this point. Even more so given the recent surveys indicating 90% of Thais want foreigners kept out or at least quarantined for 14 days. 

Hopefully there will be more news soon about authorization/distribution of vaccines across the world.

When this does happen I just hope all countries use totally massive resources to produce the serum and get the inoculations done. 

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

a better statement from the tourism guy is to let long-term people in rather than a country-specific group.

Why should a "tourism guy" talk about other groups than tourists and tourism?

Edited by Matzzon

2 hours ago, webfact said:

This needs to be addressed, he said at the seminar, particularly in the booking of accommodation.

So your Government needs to ensure those zero dollar tours and Thai nominee businesses are shut down to ensure the money stays in Thailand.  Better yet why have them come into the country if you know that there are problems as such....

The article is nothing but negative in regards to true foreign tourism and as stated below its all about there cozy friendship with China.  But they have the above listed problems........so it is a no go with them in my purview unless the money goes into the pockets of those that need it and not the governments.

He said that if Thailand opened up its airspace the Chinese would come in good numbers. There was no need for a high level of marketing. They know very well about Thailand and would flood back in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

What he meant is that the Chinese toursists are coming to Thailand and using companies (tours and accommodation) owned by foreign proxies from which the money is being sent abroad i.e. back to Chinese bosses. Therefore the money doesn't stay in Thailand although they are employing some Thai staff.

So, you are trying to say that Thailand do not win economically from Chinese tourists? Why in the world would they push so much for it then?

Nevermind, I let you continue believe you have better knowledge than the ones with the real numbers. 

• Thanks 2

He was referring to companies - many of them Chinese owned or owned in Thailand through proxies - who are involved in organising group tours. 

This needs to be addressed, he said at the seminar, particularly in the booking of accommodation. 

Says everything really, dont it.

Economical Rape of a Country.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, papa al said:

You realise vaccines prolly won't work for beans.?

Maybe 50%.

Maybe 30%.

Is Papa an anti-vaxxer? Science and technology is good for motorcycles but bad for people?

I'm suspicious from where you pulled the 30-50% figure.. everything I have heard and read says 90%+ in terms of efficacy before a vaccine gets the go-ahead.

• Like 1

It's not going to happen.

If the only ones coming in are the Chinese. If Covid numbers increase, due to tourists, who would they blame?

Farangs? No, because they aren't allowed in.

50k spent on average5555

yes, eat all you can and behave like a ..... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

If and when the Chinese do come flooding back, will they be required to undergo a 14 day quarantine at their own expense?

No, I didn't think so.

China has plenty of  real flooding at the moment most people in China will be effected by it in some way. They may not be the tourist saviour of Thailand for a while 

• Like 2