Speeding remains biggest factor in road accidents in Thailand

webfact

Speeding remains biggest factor in road accidents in Thailand

9pm1.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

Statistics for accidents and deaths for the first six months of the year from the Highways Department were reported by Chiang Mai News. 

The stats apparently relate to accidents recorded by the Highway's Department IT systems and so do not represent the total death and accident toll on the roads that is much higher. 

From January 1st to June 30th 1,287 deaths were recorded with 7,042 injuries in 8,410 accidents involving 12,857 vehicles. 

Damage to the department ran at 188 million baht. 

9pm.jpg

These represented small improvements on the stats from the previous year. 

Speeding accounted for 75% of accidents followed by 9% cutting in front suddenly, and 6% microsleep. 

The top three locations for accidents were 66% on straight roads, 14% at bends and 6% on bridges.

9pm2.jpg

Vehicles involved the most were 37% pick-ups, 26% passenger cars and 16% motorcycles. 

The North had 25% of accidents and the north east was 19%.

Bangkok had 590 accidents, Chiang Mai 415 and Chonburi 396. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-03

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Nope, there is a lot more to it than that. 

A lot more!

I particularly  liked the one with the  dog  by the gate, I mean that  bend  just leapt  out in front of the driver, he  had no chance, damn bends

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

there is no traffic enforcement here

I cannot help but think that is the plan, year after year nothing changes, the status quo is maintained. It just highlights the quality or lack thereof of education!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Stupidity or lack of attention causes collisions.

You have that correct. In CM on Saturday I made a pretty slow legal right turn and an old man on motorcycle opposite direction went left to the same street and did not slow or look with his tunnel vision (He should have yielded and stopped). I slowed in middle then slowed more and this woman creamed into my rear end with her motorcycle. I had watched her for 5 minutes following us from the temple being too close then trying to go on my left side on a single lane street. It really doesn't surprise me with her ignorance. My wife barked at her, she said sorry with a wai, and then the insurance said replace the bumper which is 10k cost. Car is practically new, but bumper really only has scratch, but it is impossible to repair.

8 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

My wife barked at her, she said sorry with a wai, and then the insurance said replace the bumper which is 10k cost. Car is practically new, but bumper really only has scratch, but it is impossible to repair

She has to replace your bumper ?

41 minutes ago, bodga said:

I particularly  liked the one with the  dog  by the gate, I mean that  bend  just leapt  out in front of the driver, he  had no chance, damn bends

Thailand should ban bends in the roads.

But at 00:38 I have to say my heart goes out to the girl who probably has permanent injuries if she's even alive.   She did nothing wrong other than being in the wrong place at the terribly wrong time.    That's just so horrible.

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

100% correct......the root cause is a totally nonexistent system to ensure people learn to drive properly.

I posted this yesterday...

My wife drove for the first time on Monday, she was supposed to take her test the next day, but as it was raining so they just passed her.............she does not have a clue how to drive!!!

Bloody hell !

Please let me know when shes going out in her 4 wheel instrument of Death, so that I can stay home safe.

3 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Bloody hell !

Please let me know when shes going out in her 4 wheel instrument of Death, so that I can stay home safe.

It is criminal.....I also took her two cousins for their test a couple of months ago...both failed, both paid a 1000 baht and were issued their license that day.

By the way, I now intend to teach my wife to drive somewhere out in the sticks ...now she has passed

o man,,,,,no one drive, we have to put a end to this pandemic of accident deaths. Can you believe the amount of deaths from motor accidents compared to what is gonna cause multiple times of deaths because of something that is invisible.....I know ....we are in the twighlight zone  

On another note, doesnt surprise me, I ride a bicycle around home here in the south and by far the idiots in the dropped diesel pick up trucks drive SO recklessly.   

5 minutes ago, clos88 said:

o man,,,,,no one drive, we have to put a end to this pandemic of accident deaths. Can you believe the amount of deaths from motor accidents compared to what is gonna cause multiple times of deaths because of something that is invisible.....I know ....we are in the twighlight zone  

On another note, doesnt surprise me, I ride a bicycle around home here in the south and by far the idiots in the dropped diesel pick up trucks drive SO recklessly.   

Don't forget.....they have amulets!

Driving the wrong way down a road might also have something to do with it.

Changing direction without signalling.

Driving at night with no lights.

Weaving in and out of the traffic.

Hogging the outside lane while driving slow.

Tailgating. 

Perobably easier to just say being  Thai  is the biggest factor.

Edited by Malawi
  • Like 1