3 questions after receiving first ext. based on marriage

On 22nd July I received my first extension of stay based on non-0 marriage visa using the 400,000 in bank method.

I have to go back to the IO for my first 90 day reporting on 19th September.

1.  On what date am I able to take out any/all of the 400,000 from the bank without compromising my extension/90 day reporting?

Do I have to wait until after 19th September?

(I am aware that the money needs to be in an account 3 months prior to making my 2nd visa extension application next year).

2. Should I be able to do the 90 day reporting online after this first ‘in person’ reporting?

Do I need to inform the IO on the 19th September that I shall be reporting online in future, do they need to know this to supply me with an access code or similar?

3. Up to how many days before and how many days after the 19th am I able to do the reporting?

Thank you.

Just now, Tmoney said:

1.  On what date am I able to take out any/all of the 400,000 from the bank

I have always waited until I got the final year long stamp in my passport before letting the balance go bellow 400,000 baht

2 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

2. Should I be able to do the 90 day reporting online

Yes if its working..often not working.

3 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

3. Up to how many days before and how many days after the 19th

I believe seven days after  but only if you go in person  not online.  and 14 days before.

• Like 2

Brilliant. Thank you.

I do already have the permit to stay until 22nd June 2021.

I am intending moving the 400,000 baht to a separate savings account so as not to let it drop below that accidentally.

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

Thanks Dr.J, as this is my first 90 day reporting I have no idea whether they accept mail reports or not, but TBH, my IO is not far away and happy to make a personal visit.

Easier to do it in person then you know 100% it is done.

• Like 2

Thanks Malawi, so I do not have to keep the money in the bank for 2 months after the extension was granted, and I only need to show it was there from 2 months before my next application.

And I agree, will do it in person.

Got it. Cheers.

23 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Brilliant. Thank you.

I am intending moving the 400,000 baht to a separate savings account so as not to let it drop below that accidentally.

You only need to have the 400K on your personal thai bank-account in the TWO months before applying for your extension of stay.  But it is wise to keep it there during the 'under consideration period' of your application (which can take 3-4 weeks) until you get the approval in the form of the 1-year permission to stay stamp in your passport.

After that you can use the funds as you please and use it to cover your living expenses or otherwise, and you only need to 'top up' again TWO months before the date you apply for your next 1-year extension of stay.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Thanks Malawi, so I do not have to keep the money in the bank for 2 months after the extension was granted, and I only need to show it was there from 2 months before my next application.

Got it. Cheers.

I make sure I put the money in 3 months before hand, just be on the safe side, it's too easy to forget and having that month extra helps, e.g. I usually put the money in on my wife's birthday as it falls on the end of October and my extension is due in January.

Accessing the funds is usually done straight after I lodge the annual extension, but I make sure I have 400,000 in there until the extension is approved and then draw down from there, monthly draw downs for our budget (monthly) to survive on.

I recently started doing the 90 days online, the system seems to be working good now, as for the first 90 days, I do believe you have to go in and then once your report is done, you can do them online after that, and it's real easy, the IO's will appreciate the fact that they won't have to do the paperwork for you every 90 days IMO.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 6:26 AM, Tmoney said:

2. Should I be able to do the 90 day reporting online after this first ‘in person’ reporting?

Do I need to inform the IO on the 19th September that I shall be reporting online in future, do they need to know this to supply me with an access code or similar?

3. Up to how many days before and how many days after the 19th am I able to do the reporting?

Some immigration offices automatically update your 90-day report when applying for the 1-year extension of stay.  If so, you should have received a Notification paper containing the date of your 'next appointment'.

If you did not receive such notification paper (usually stapled in your passport), the regular scheme simply continues, with your next 90-day reporting due date exactly 90 days after you

a) did your previous 90-day report; OR

b) re-entered the country and received a new TM6 entry/departure card.

Depending on the method you use (applying in person at your local IO, mailing the required copies to your local IO, or doing it on-line) the WINDOW for submitting your 90-day report differs.  When doing it on-line (simplest way) you can do it any time between 15 days BEFORE till actual due date.  When doing it in person at your local IO you can do it from 15 days before due date till 7 days after that due date (a so called grace period).

>> I PM-ed you a Guideline document on how do your 90-day reporting on-line addressing most of the problems/errors you might encounter when using that method.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged-in to the Forum

19 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Got it. Cheers.

Money in the bank for 2 months before application has always been the rule.

On 8/3/2020 at 11:36 AM, Tmoney said:

Brilliant. Thank you.

You can't do your first 90 days report online. It has to be done in person. For the next 90 days report online, the window is due date and 15 days early, counting back from the due date. 

Edited by Max69xl
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 1:31 PM, Malawi said:

Wrong. Money in the bank 2 months before application.

While this is true, if like many here you like to apply 1 mth early for M/Ex then 3 mth is a safer option.

Edited by brianthainess

12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

While this is true, if like many here you like to apply 1 mth early for M/Ex then 3 mth is a safer option.

Thanks to all for your input.

As I said in post #3, I intend moving the 400,000 to a separate savings account to make sure I make no mistakes before applying for my extension next year.

I would advise that you keep slightly more than 400k in your account. Banks here often charge yearly for things like an ATM card and if you've got exactly 400k in the account, it could cause it to dip slightly below the required amount. If that happens during the months you are required to maintain the balance at or above 400k, it could be an issue depending on the IO. It's a small detail, but I know of a couple people who've run into problems because of it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ilms said:

I would advise that you keep slightly more than 400k in your account. Banks here often charge yearly for things like an ATM card and if you've got exactly 400k in the account, it could cause it to dip slightly below the required amount. If that happens during the months you are required to maintain the balance at or above 400k, it could be an issue depending on the IO. It's a small detail, but I know of a couple people who've run into problems because of it.

Point taken, thanks, but it is a savings account with no debit card and a huge interest rate of under 1%. ????