2 new speed cams!

schlog

They catched me today on my to Kok Kloi and back 2 times lol.

The new speed cams are on the way in and out of Phuket. Each about 500 meter before the Tha Chat Chai checkpoint. Cams with big flashlights installed under the big road signs above the 2 lane road.

Speed limit is 60.

Me and all other cars had the pleasure and surprise of this flashlight show. All drove there 80-120 as usual. Now wait and see if they send speed tickets. 

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

As far as I know the 60 is only advisory. 90 is the official limit. I drive 100 at most and expect to be Ok ..... ????

Yup had also same always in my mind. Limit of 60 at this 2 spots is insane and only a money spinner. Can't recall 1 accident there in the last 30 years.

They installed new 60 limit signs at that 2 spots. On way out i did 100 and way back 80. Both times i was clocked.

There is still hope that they have no budget to send and print the speedtickets and it's only a realistic show.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, schlog said:

There is still hope that they have no budget to send and print the speedtickets and it's only a realistic show.

Probably you will find out next time when you are paying road tax. I wish you good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hkt83100 said:

Probably you will find out next time when you are paying road tax. I wish you good luck.

You only find out when you did not pay your fine when you received the ticket by mail.

Many years ago when speed cameras were new in the u.k a group of us noticed that if you drove on the wrong side of the road fast where a camera was it would go off.

Wasn't long before that turned into going past on motorbikes while one of us is stood on the side of the road doing a moonie to the camera.

Must of really piszed them off haha.

They flash also when not exceeding the limit, from that what I saw. Otherwise, the 60 / 80 limits on that road or just f*** insane and don't correspond to the road and traffic at all.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, schlog said:

Yup had also same always in my mind. Limit of 60 at this 2 spots is insane and only a money spinner. Can't recall 1 accident there in the last 30 years.

They installed new 60 limit signs at that 2 spots. On way out i did 100 and way back 80. Both times i was clocked.

So why do you think they clocked you for speeding, the indication above the road has nothing to do with the speed cameras.

Those new signs could mean a speed limit, or it could mean they have a few of those left and needed to place them somewhere.

But hoping they have no budget to send the tickets is idle hope.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

So why do you think they clocked you for speeding, the indication above the road has nothing to do with the speed cameras.

Because of the flashes and the reaction of other drivers.

The flash lights and cams are installed below that sign. Some meter before that big sign is new small 60 speed limit sign. Same at the sign on the way out of phuket.

Maybe they register all cars but this they do also at the checkpoint. Have to go again the next days and will test it. First with 100 then with 50. Interesting how many flashes i will gain lol.

Screenshot_20200804-121108_Maps.jpg

Edited by schlog
  • Thanks 1

I drive this route to and from Phang Nga nearly every day. Coming inbound to Phuket off Sarasin Bridge the speed is 90 for where the camera is placed. It is 80 on the bridge, then goes to 90, and after the camera coming up to the checkpoint goes down to 60. Out bound from Phuket the speed limit for where the new cameras are near the Shell garage is 60.

However I think that they are just picking up all vehicle details coming and going with these cameras as a previous poster has said they flash even if you are well below the speed limit. Let us know if you get a ticket, but I have not, then again tickets usually take a couple of months to arrive, and the cameras were only installed as they reopened Phuket but must be getting close to 2 months now. 

• Like 2