Woman starts her day with an egg-xplosion

webfact

6 hours ago, DrTuner said:

The way to do it is to put water in a bowl, crack the egg in it and put that in the nukemachine, drain the water after done. Very nice texture and especially good when runny over toast. 

Yes it's easy and save to make poached eggs in the microwave

it only takes less than 2 minutes I also put a little vinegar in the water.

The way to do it is to put water in a bowl, crack the egg in it and put that in the nukemachine, drain the water after done. Very nice texture and especially good when runny over toast. 

Just found a youtube explaining that method, but see what it says at the top.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=making+poached+agg+in+microwave#kpvalbx=_ByYoX9vMJ5Cv9QOgqaPIDA62

187K subscribers

Mar 30, 2017 update: After I posted this video, I got notified of a few cases of dangerous egg explosions. This can happen not only when the egg is in the microwave, but after it's removed from the microwave. I realize this method worked great for some of my viewers, but I would advice against using it.

image.png.8bf46d52414a95f27a68eeb51fb0a4a6.png

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Eeeeh!? They exploded 2 times??? I sincerely hope they exploded once each? Otherwise I will have to go back to the writing board and evaluate relativity against reality.

However, from one thing to another. Did you feed your dog with the exploded things anyway?

First time I didn't cut them up.  Boom.  Then I poked holes in them with a knife.  Still Boom.  The dog ate them. 

• Haha 1

A friend of mine didn’t believe that eggs would explode in the microwave. So he put it to the test.  In an extreme way. The egg was wrapped in scotch tape and put in a plastic container, which was also wrapped in tape. The container was put into a microwave at his place of work and nuked for 10 minutes on full effect. Nothing happened so he set the machine for another 15 minutes and returned to his computer to work. After a few minutes a loud bang was heard from the kitchen. The door of the microwave had been blown off its hinges and slammed against the wall opposite, leaving deep marks. The inside of the microwave was covered in black goo. 

45 minutes ago, Susco said:

Just found a youtube explaining that method, but see what it says at the top.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=making+poached+agg+in+microwave#kpvalbx=_ByYoX9vMJ5Cv9QOgqaPIDA62

187K subscribers

Mar 30, 2017 update: After I posted this video, I got notified of a few cases of dangerous egg explosions. This can happen not only when the egg is in the microwave, but after it's removed from the microwave. I realize this method worked great for some of my viewers, but I would advice against using it.

image.png.8bf46d52414a95f27a68eeb51fb0a4a6.png

Huh. I have no idea it could explode when there's no eggshell to pressurize. Perhaps my microwave isn't the model you need to blow up buildings with. But then again I'm a badass and I nuke my eggs, living the life.

Seriously though, what exactly can go wrong when poaching an egg? Air pocket somewhere?

7 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Huh. I have no idea it could explode when there's no eggshell to pressurize. Perhaps my microwave isn't the model you need to blow up buildings with. But then again I'm a badass and I nuke my eggs, living the life.

Seriously though, what exactly can go wrong when poaching an egg? Air pocket somewhere?

It's the yolk that explodes.

Happened to me 3 times. Twice while in the microwave, once when the plate was on the cupboard already, hence the need to clean the ceiling.

Now only scrambled egg in the microwave.

Edited by Susco

11 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

Cool with Ice water Yes, Saline ??? how many people keep sterilised bottles of saline at home? Ordinary salt and water not a good idea.

Regular salt as used for cooking dissolved in water is what the injured woman meant with the Thai expression she used and the newspaper could have done better than translate it as "saline", although this has become one of the meanings in the English language. "Salty water" would have done perfectly in the context of this news article.

1647644972_1596479912056_1596479904991_0_Screenshot_20200803-2002012.thumb.png.659ba1a5cca892a11204a827f8b07a2d.png

Alcohol smarts, try betadine followed by bepanthen for small infections. Saline is a basic staple in the medicine cabinet, yes.

Whatever tickles your fancy. I use alcohol for cleaning and Betadine after that. Not feeling especially smart for that. Just an ordinary guy. ???? 

You know they are very smart in hospitals too. They clean open wounds with alcohol.

Edited by Matzzon

Back in the 1960's, the plant cafeteria had a couple of microwaves for cooking frozen foods sold in the vending machine. No timer, just buttons numbered 1 to 5, you pushed the button corresponding to the number on the food package. Now these early microwaves didn't have glass in the door, just a colander like sheet of steel. Holes sized to keep the microwaves inside the cavity.

Well a couple of mates and I decided to try to make a 3 minute egg. We kind of had an idea of how long each button went from using them on burritos. So picked 4 and went with it. Bell sounded, we opened the door and stared at the egg. Now the question, was it done or not? No way to tell. 

So we made a command decision to hit the 1 button just for insurance. We got about 5 feet from the microwave when it went boom. Now there was egg extruding out of the holes in the door and all over the interior.

We beat a hasty retreat back to our department and avoided the cafeteria for a couple of weeks.

16 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm guessing they must have exploded after she removed them from the microwave?

Surely any explosion internally in the microwave couldn't have done that (irrespective of the joke "I only told them to blow the bloody doors off")

That's correct. Happened to me. I'd heated hard boiled eggs in the microwave many times, but one exploded when I bit it. Had it been INSIDE my mouth it would have broken my teeth and injured my tongue and roof of my mouth.

Now I don't just <deleted> the egg before- I make a slice with a knife before and after heating.

I never heard of it before, but now 2 cases in a month!

I assume an air gap between the yolk and white heats and explodes when a hole made, as with teeth.

10 hours ago, Matzzon said:

You´ve just been egged!

I don´t understand this. What ever happened to boiling eggs in water? It works perfect.

Strange comment.

I boil a lot of eggs at the same time, put the ones I don't eat straight away in the fridge, then if i want a hard boiled egg to eat later I remove the shell and microwave it.

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Eeeeh!? They exploded 2 times??? I sincerely hope they exploded once each? Otherwise I will have to go back to the writing board and evaluate relativity against reality.

However, from one thing to another. Did you feed your dog with the exploded things anyway?

I must explain.  My big game hunting experience as a child was limited to one small rabbit and one squirrel.  Then I became a vegetarian.  This particular squirrel was either suicidal or stupid.  Found it in the road after a fall from a high tree.  It was a goner, so no need to waste food for the dog. My elderly Mom (farm girl) guided me on the skinning and gutting, bless her.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, overherebc said:

Totally agree.

Water and water and more water. Don't waste time with salt water, just water.

No cloth no anything else.

It takes the heat out and goes a long way to help clean the area.

Spent just over a week in ICU with a steam burn and believe me it makes your eyes water. It bloody hurts but cool water cuts that down a fair bit.

If you've lost a bit of skin, I did, the water takes the heat out and cuts down a lot of the scarring you would have without getting that heat out.

Water water water.

First aid for any burn is to cool the area with water, cooler the better and leave in for long enough to penetrate to deep under the skin. Cold shower is good. If injury is SERIOUS and only dirty water can get antibiotics later.

Guy was cooking on a camp stove and it exploded burning him enough to go to hospital. I put him under a cold shower, clothes and all for 15 minutes before transporting.

Don't put butter or such on bad burns that have penetrated full thickness as it makes it harder for hospital staff to treat the injury. Use an airtight cover to keep the air out. Even a plastic bag will do.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Strange comment.

I boil a lot of eggs at the same time, put the ones I don't eat straight away in the fridge, then if i want a hard boiled egg to eat later I remove the shell and microwave it.

Yes, It´s a very strange comment. Or, it might just be you.

However, my dear beachlover. I will explain to you. You say that you boil a lot of eggs, and after that you might reheat the eggs in your microwave. Ok, that works perfect. No risk for explosion. If you instead think like an infant brain and put raw eggs in a microwave without any specific cooking equipment for just that. Yeah, then you have a big risk for explosion. The reason I know that is because we put a six pack of raw eggs in the microwave, and put on full effect just before we left the regiment in my military service. We heard about the explosion later. The micro never worked again.

Just now, Matzzon said:

Yes, It´s a very strange comment. Or, it might just be you.

However, my dear beachlover. I will explain to you. You say that you boil a lot of eggs, and after that you might reheat the eggs in your microwave. Ok, that works perfect. No risk for explosion. If you instead think like an infant brain and put raw eggs in a microwave without any specific cooking equipment for just that. Yeah, then you have a big risk for explosion. The reason I know that is because we put a six pack of raw eggs in the microwave, and put on full effect just before we left the regiment in my military service. We heard about the explosion later. The micro never worked again.

Sorry but you got it wrong. The exploding egg was hard boiled BEFORE it was put in the m'wave. It exploded after it was bitten into.

I'm also aware that raw eggs explode when cooked in a m'wave, which is why I cover them if I cook raw eggs in my m'wave.

I have two different sorts of egg poachers and two sorts of hard boiled covers designed for a m'wave, but I prefer to boil a few eggs at the same time for hard boiled. I always poach eggs in the m'wave.

If cooking eggs in a m'wave need to put with a bit of water, not by self.

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry but you got it wrong. The exploding egg was hard boiled BEFORE it was put in the m'wave. It exploded after it was bitten into.

I'm also aware that raw eggs explode when cooked in a m'wave, which is why I cover them if I cook raw eggs in my m'wave.

I have two different sorts of egg poachers and two sorts of hard boiled covers designed for a m'wave, but I prefer to boil a few eggs at the same time for hard boiled. I always poach eggs in the m'wave.

Hey, just forget that. Hard boiled and bitten into before it exploded. really? Are you drunk?

Here is a quote from The Nation: "A woman’s breakfast turned deadly when she had to be admitted to hospital with third-degree burns after the eggs she was cooking in a microwave exploded."

Eeeh?? Does that mean ????...hmmm. Eggs? There is an s there. Does that mean she was eating multiple eggs at the same time when they suddenly exploded?

As for another thing. If an egg is hard boiled, how do you get third degree burs on both you face and neck. The only thing that can do that is liquid in this case, which naturally speaks volumes about that the eggs were not properly cooked.

You can believe what you want. That´s your free choice. ???? 

22 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Why would your bird wanna get 'wabed after you've p-rick her eggs .. to use the metaphor .. 

Yours Sincerely 

Confused .. 

The simple answer to your question could be that she was *egged on*?

I looked into this a bit. It seems some microwave ovens have a more concentrated beam that superheats the yolk. Mine is a 1200W Electrolux, never had a poached egg explode, or anything else for that matter. I guess it has a better magnetron. I do remember a cheapo Samsung from yonks ago that would always heat only one spot on the plate.

Edited by DrTuner

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I had a google around and it appears the yolk even if hard boiled seems to generate a lot of superheared water when microwaved. When the pressure is released it turns into a lot of steam at high pressure and you get the 'explosion'. If still in the shell thickness of the shell also plays a part and some 'exploding' eggs have been measured at 133db. That's a fair bang.

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 1

Aah remembered story from long time ago, USA, woman put dog in microwave to dry!

Dog died and woman went to court to sue  . It was not in the manual you couldnt do that.

Btw you know when you boil water in the mw, it can become so hot and has an exploding energie when you take it out.

You notice anything, but when you give it a little shock (put it on the sink or so), it can start to erupt like a volcano. Be aware.  

• Haha 1