BANGKOK
Brunolem

Thailand's high unemployment: have you seen behavior change?

Here in Bangkok, the only person I know who was actually made unemployed by the pandemic was my daughter. She was out of work for just over 2 months but she's now found a new job.

I have friends who've worked on reduced salaries and hours and a few who are pub musicians and DJs have been hard hit. Some of them have taken the initiative and been selling food through Facebook and doing deliveries. One guy has done so well selling fruit, I think he's hanging up his guitar. When people see their friends selling food and know they haven't had any work, they'll buy from them and share with their own friends and that's really helped some people out. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Gf in Bangkok has been on half salary for a few months and it will continue until end of year. Company has laid staff off and others have been offered 3+ months unpaid leave. They are in an airline-related industry so no surprise there. 

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Like 1

Here in Buriram province, it does not seem like there is all that much economic impact. I heard of one family offering some land for sale at a non-inflated rate, for a change, because they need money, and that's about all.

Supermarkets seem relatively busy, as is Makro. Not so many people last Saturday at Home Depot, but it is rarely busy (too expensive and too fancy for local taste). More staff than customers, it seemed. Robinson Mall was quite normal (minus the movie theatres, that normally attract lots of people and are still closed). The weekend before that, Terminal 21 in Korat was very empty for a Friday night. Ample parking space, sparse crowd, restaurants mostly empty or with few tables busy.

Village life seems pretty unchanged, as far as I can say (but what do I know?). No obvious economic refugees from Pattaya and other tourist spots that I can see.

• Like 1

I am not sure if the Pullman hotel in Khon Kaen has re-opened yet.
Other hotels that re-opened last month, many staff have had their days cut so they are effectively on half salary.

Let's hope that with 10 millions jobless Thai will learn how to do their job correctly...

It's a unique chance for them to improve !

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

corona did one thing:  show how many fluff jobs there out there, not needed in a zombie apocalypse situation where real things matter:  food, water, shelter

And sangsom...lots and lots of sangsom..and manao   

Talked to a thai friend--says her plant shop is very slow....velly slow..no hab no hab cus-tah-muhr   

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Chiang Mai, August 2020.

I went to Central Festival, it is still difficult to get a parking place on the weekend however you do notice the absence of tourists  during a weekday.

Driving around rush hour the place is still packed with cars. Having said that some restaurants have closed and will not open.

A Thai friend asked me to invest 10 million Baht into a business as he tries to start a new business. But then I got that before Corona as well. He did tell me his business, real estate was virtually dead.

Edited by Logosone
  • Sad 1

A lot of pickups and samlors have set up food stalls along roads which never had any, or very few, before: this Pattaya darkside.

There is a HUGE increase in numbers of mad GrabFood, FoodPanda, etc delivery motos, and a lot more courier bikes.

There is always a seasonal trade in roadside fruit, but vastly greater numbers, higher heaps and lower prices than before Covid.

Open air markets are springing up in unlikely places, those already in place are developing rapidly.

• Like 1