Thailand's high unemployment: have you seen behavior change?

Brunolem

Here in Bangkok, the only person I know who was actually made unemployed by the pandemic was my daughter. She was out of work for just over 2 months but she's now found a new job.

I have friends who've worked on reduced salaries and hours and a few who are pub musicians and DJs have been hard hit. Some of them have taken the initiative and been selling food through Facebook and doing deliveries. One guy has done so well selling fruit, I think he's hanging up his guitar. When people see their friends selling food and know they haven't had any work, they'll buy from them and share with their own friends and that's really helped some people out. 

• Like 1

Gf in Bangkok has been on half salary for a few months and it will continue until end of year. Company has laid staff off and others have been offered 3+ months unpaid leave. They are in an airline-related industry so no surprise there. 

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Like 1

Here in Buriram province, it does not seem like there is all that much economic impact. I heard of one family offering some land for sale at a non-inflated rate, for a change, because they need money, and that's about all.

Supermarkets seem relatively busy, as is Makro. Not so many people last Saturday at Home Depot, but it is rarely busy (too expensive and too fancy for local taste). More staff than customers, it seemed. Robinson Mall was quite normal (minus the movie theatres, that normally attract lots of people and are still closed). The weekend before that, Terminal 21 in Korat was very empty for a Friday night. Ample parking space, sparse crowd, restaurants mostly empty or with few tables busy.

Village life seems pretty unchanged, as far as I can say (but what do I know?). No obvious economic refugees from Pattaya and other tourist spots that I can see.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

corona did one thing:  show how many fluff jobs there out there, not needed in a zombie apocalypse situation where real things matter:  food, water, shelter

And sangsom...lots and lots of sangsom..and manao   

Talked to a thai friend--says her plant shop is very slow....velly slow..no hab no hab cus-tah-muhr   

• Haha 2

Chiang Mai, August 2020.

I went to Central Festival, it is still difficult to get a parking place on the weekend however you do notice the absence of tourists  during a weekday.

Driving around rush hour the place is still packed with cars. Having said that some restaurants have closed and will not open.

A Thai friend asked me to invest 10 million Baht into a business as he tries to start a new business. But then I got that before Corona as well. He did tell me his business, real estate was virtually dead.

Edited by Logosone
  • Sad 1

A lot of pickups and samlors have set up food stalls along roads which never had any, or very few, before: this Pattaya darkside.

There is a HUGE increase in numbers of mad GrabFood, FoodPanda, etc delivery motos, and a lot more courier bikes.

There is always a seasonal trade in roadside fruit, but vastly greater numbers, higher heaps and lower prices than before Covid.

Open air markets are springing up in unlikely places, those already in place are developing rapidly.

• Like 1

Hat Yai is pretty much back to normal. But there are many closed businesses in town, shuttered with for sale or let signs. It's now also common to see people sleeping rough in the town centre at night. 

Appearances can be misleading, and data on unemployment, bankruptcies, business closures  in Thailand is not easily available.However with over 1/3  of tourism business related companies expected to close by 3rd quarter, and slowing retail sales, the economic impact is real. ALso keep in mind Thais have the highest personal debt/income ratio in ASEAN.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Here in Bangkok, the only person I know who was actually made unemployed by the pandemic was my daughter. She was out of work for just over 2 months but she's now found a new job.

I have friends who've worked on reduced salaries and hours and a few who are pub musicians and DJs have been hard hit. Some of them have taken the initiative and been selling food through Facebook and doing deliveries. One guy has done so well selling fruit, I think he's hanging up his guitar. When people see their friends selling food and know they haven't had any work, they'll buy from them and share with their own friends and that's really helped some people out. 

I agree. Thai do demonstrate that ethic quite often especially.

Central Bangkok - the BTS is noticably less busy - it's atill at capacity at the peak times, but no queues on the platform, and able to board first train at Asoke when used to have to let a few go before able to board.

Dine in restaurants very quiet, some once-popular bars not reopened (Titanium, Apoteka Blues Bar) Some great deals on hotels - full availability any time.

Malls appear busy, but few people actually buying.

I think the more 'self contained' economies in Issan may be more insulated from the impacts on the tourism and leeisure sectors?

Chatting to Thai friends, all know of people made redundant in last month, and many on reduced salaries.  One friend working in car finance on 2 day week due to limited  business.

I noticed at the Bangkok Motor Show that the Mercedes and BMW stands were as busy as ever, but apart from Toyota (new Corolla Cross) and Nissan (New Kicks) most stands were unusually quiet.

Small village in Kanchanaburi Province, near the Sangkhla Buri border with Myanmar. 3 hours from Kanchanaburi City 6 hours from Central Bangkok.

My main observation here in the village is the number of new faces, mostly young people in there 20s and 30s who have returned between jobs.

It seems very fluid - the daughter of my neighbour is now on her 3rd job since she lost her initial one. Her siblings and her are all cooks, mainly in the mall food courts, and all have been home for a week or 2 before going back to Bangkok. Wife says their biggest problem is accommodation as they have to keep giving it up then finding a new place. Rents are not reducing according to them.

The closest market town to me is Thong Pha Phum, an hour away and I have not seen any changes. Nothing is shut down, the market is as busy as ever. Price of pork is on the up. No shortage of produce.

Was in Kanchanaburi city yesterday, again nothing obvious although friends tell me the bar street has been hit hard and not fully open, and few customers for those that are now open again.

I conclude from my own observations that the biggest hit has to be in the tourist areas, but life seems to be going on as before here, or maybe it just hasn't hit yet.

Edited by Saltire

Small village in Isaan - most people now not bothering to wearing masks, all shops open as usual. None of the wife's extended family seem to be struggling. I know of one young lady forced to come back from Pattaya, but that's it.  To be honest it seems like most have just ignored the entire debacle anyway.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, smiggley said:

Great news for me, before covid I could not get anyone to help me on the farm at 500baht a day now they come ask me if I have any work. I live just outside Chaiyaphum.

500 too much, but nice gesture 

Edited by Ireland32
  • Haha 1

Just now, sandy102uk said:

It seems strange to complain about posts about Thailand in a Thailand forum.

No, no. Not strange at all.

Just that the times are a little bit out of the normal, I think...