Thailand's high unemployment: have you seen behavior change?

Brunolem

I live in the far north and little has changed. Most people are working at what they did before, except there a few new faces. Stores are busy but it varies by day of the week and time. When to the mall a couple of days ago and it was very busy (Sunday), I think the main effects are in tourist areas and/or manufacturing areas. 

I don't enjoy tourist crowds, so I plan to do an in country holiday next month. It's a good time to do some exploring. 

18 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I live on Koh Samui, which is an island with economy heavily based on tourism, with foreign tourists as the majority. Many people are unemployed from the regular job at the moment, including some stranded migrant workers from mainly Myanmar that didn't made it back for various reasons.

Some returned to their Isaan villages, but numerous seems to be back again, as it's better to stay on the tourists island than in a village, they say.

Both numerous Thais, and the stranded migrant workers, had – and still have – difficulty in finding enough money for food. A local charity organisation established fund donation and food collection to help. The major shopping markets like Makro and Tesco-Lotus had for long time a pallet-cage standing people could deposit food in, typically buy an extra bag of rice, a tray of eggs, or a pack of canned mackerel in tomato, and donate it to those in need. Regular free food handouts were organised...

TH-COVID19(1024)_Free-food-handout_20200417_IMG_9930.jpg.9e44bb9eeda05461362dac39460b736b.jpg

People queue up for free food handout on Samui.

Also other places there are carts where food can be donated, and taken from; like it's been reported about in other parts of the nation.

Some many-star hotels that closed let their staff sell affordable priced "take away food" from the hotel entrance, seemed like a good way to help, or keep, some of the employees.

During the lockdown a lot closed, and after the reopening those business that mainly depend on foreign tourists remained closed, including the beachfront stretch of the well known holiday destination Chaweng Beach. This area will probably remain pretty deserted, apart from a few reopened resorts, until foreign tourism return.

TH-COVID19(1024)_Abandoned-tourist-twonIMG_9870e.jpg.6378db71e3bf014e879e581e33007218.jpg

The beach road in tourist destination "Chaweng Beach" looks like an abandoned ghost town.

Reopened places that I know, or visit, seems to have the same staff as before the lockdown, so either they have in one or other way supported their staff during the difficult period, or the employees have just waited for reopening, some might have got the 5,000 baht donation from the government.

I notice a few more "For Rent" and "For Sale" signs, mainly on small business like an empty bar, restaurant, shop, or a town-house unit. Many of those kind of business had similar signs long before the pandemic, actually as long as I have been visiting and living on the island, which is now 19 years. Those extra new signs are probably business that already had a difficult time before the lockdown; just like all over the World, those already in financial hard times are the ones that get into trouble.

A number of business used the lockdown for maintenance and repair, some even for new constructions, so it seems like some are not financially suffering more than they have surplus to get something positive outcome of the situation.

The local oriented part of the island seems however pretty unchanged after reopening, lots of almost normal activity, but the places with normally many foreign tourists have of course less activity.

The local people seem unchanged in behavior – I presume the OP think of relation to foreigners and expats – as usual kind and smiling; even I'm sure some have a hard time. I know of a few workers that have borrowed money from family or friends to manage the present situation – so that might not be uncommon for a number of others – but they seem to survive by change of job, or finding some kind of activity to make money from, some began as self-employs, for example food delivery. Those having a business or shop cuts in expenses and survive. Local markets and "walking street" has reopened, but some of them of course lacks the usual crowd of tourists...

20200730_Walking-street(1024).jpg.18c2f5062b09e0c3012e63f95a13ae5b.jpg

The various night markets, or "walking street", has reopened, but the crowd of foreign tourists is missing in some areas.

????

Tourist areas like you're at are heavily hit, but they were hit before seasonally during the low season. So they know what to expect. Most people in Samui went for the easy buck and higher pay in resort areas. To survive they need to go back to what worked before. 

When Samui returns to a more reasonable place for Thais to go, I'm sure some business will return, but not at inflated western prices.

The sooner people get out the better they'll do, IMO.

On 8/3/2020 at 3:08 PM, Brunolem said:

After searching for a parking spot, especially on weekends, one will find all the restaurants, mostly Japanese and not cheap, full, even at 3 PM.

All this to say that, in this part of the country, there is no feeling of an ongoing economic crisis.

IMO The secret is Thai people do things as usual and spending as long as there is still some cash left in their bank account or perhaps as long as credit cards have not rejected. 

On 8/3/2020 at 4:14 PM, Bangkok Basha said:

Pattaya's tourist zones are like ghost towns. The many hotels- large and small- along Jomtien Beach Road and its side sois are mostly closed, and have been for months now. Many have For Sale signs. The only customers sitting in the cafes and small restaurants are tired old expats who evidently live here. Where the Thai workers all are is the question- presumably returned to their hometowns and villages where they have extended family support. Holiday weekends has seen packed crowds on the beaches- presumably visitors from Bangkok. Domestic tourism seems alive and well, at least on weekends, and that may be the future of tourism here. The backpacker hostels and cheap hotels may not survive with only weekend business. 

I am living in Jomtien, and it's not as bad as you say. Of course more people on a 4 days holiday, but that's always been the case. Some parts of Pattaya are quite ok,if you know where to go. Of course many small hotels are closed, but why stay open when there's only domestic tourism? You can't have a 10 person staff while having 3 guests. How hard is that to understand? 

5 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Malls appear busy, but few people actually buying.

This has been my experience as well.

For example, I went to Emporium yesterday (Monday) and I've never had a more difficult time finding a parking space. However, once inside, customers in shops and restaurants appeared few and far between.

• Like 1

Samui is DEAD!....Take a look at this video.

The guy is not the sort of guy I would take at "Face Value" normally, but as they say "The Camera Never Lies"!

https://l.messenger.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNRMghPGnOP8%26list%3DPLaKCJOZV7OzC6V9heRun4jjcfFLwQMULL%26index%3D7%26fbclid%3DIwAR1XjxfnABkr7XXXuLzfzybT5iACuB54nBxpIoHPjzFRrL08MadztZcS-00&h=AT0sD4X_hNMe6f7VkaetzsFad4GSadXfMhrEP5vFyoRYB5Wn8i8rYG3_NPvcLU0YEt7GHrjr6JwPsWU_I6iLtjCTSbY4eAC66qcpaK2BGQZhWzQgEp85-GwJZjnnRYxFeYQ

Admittedly, this only shows Chaweng and Lamai, but I have driven right round the island several times and the word "Dodo" springs to mind unlike the video in which the word "D&ldo" springs to mind! :whistling::whistling::whistling: :cheesy: :jap:

Edited by Mario666

3 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Tourist areas like you're at are heavily hit, but they were hit before seasonally during the low season. So they know what to expect. Most people in Samui went for the easy buck and higher pay in resort areas. To survive they need to go back to what worked before. 

When Samui returns to a more reasonable place for Thais to go, I'm sure some business will return, but not at inflated western prices.

The sooner people get out the better they'll do, IMO.

Actually the affordable resorts are the ones that remain closed – the ones that many Western tourists normally stay in – whilst the high end resorts has reopened; apart from Chaweng Beach, where only very few are open. And the high end resorts have customers, some even busy during weekends. Some Thais can afford Samui, apparently enough people for up to six extra daily weekend flights, and some changed to larger aircrafts, and up to 5 hours queue-line by the ferries for cars without prior reservation, even after they changed from hourly to half hourly departure in weekends.

• Thanks 1

The areas of Bangkok that that move around are not as busy. The major shopping malls, Icon, Paragon etc are very quiet. My local noodle shop (which is the best in Bkk IMO) is as busy as ever. But lots of restaurants are quiet. 
I know a number of people who still have their jobs but on reduced salaries and some who went back home.

From my point of view things are getting back to normal but now I’m more inclined than ever to support small local businesses.

6 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Yep, is simply MY exps as a TEACHER, Volunteer, and Having been a Chef. Also being the only farang in my apt building. So I am basically around thais and asians much more than with westerners when I am in LOS.

Is an observation and from using my ears, again, as a teacher, I have to listen to HOW my students SPEAK , so that I can help them improve, which I found very difficult in a culture that is too scared to even speak at all. Do thais NOT use Ls over Rs?  Ps over Bs?   W over V????   TV=TWee  Visa=Wee-sah and so on....Do you not listen to thais? They DONT say this?  Chai Krup---Phoot thai gaeng mak.....Yindee tee dai rujak krup....

Mai sabai? Should I go to the temple and beg forgiveness for observing?  Or turn in my teaching degree I paid for, to help them learn as they copy, sleep, and refuse to ask any questions...Or maybe return my volunteer visa i got from Bkk, where I had to travel from CNX and pay 2000 so that I can work for FREE trying to improve thais use of english......will that make you happy? Thanks for the "quotes" as well..nice.

And per my thai friends? Yes they ask me to say thai words so that they can have a laugh at me. one being how I saw nimmanhaemin as my accent make it sound like a womans private area in regards to smell...He gets a kick out of it as does his thai GF and Thai co-workers, so yep, I stand there as they all laugh at ME.

You see some thais are like Mai pen rai  No problem--sanook mak....but then again others, such as yourself are greatly offended, cos we all know that thais certainly wouldnt do this towards me at all!!!!    Jing lor????

So if you wanna cast the first stone, feel free, but take a look around, or in the mirror, before you do so...

I'll leave this right here for ya to mull over as well....feel free to use the ignore button and make me a ghost

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Thailand

I thought the topic here was unemployment, not negative racial cultural views. Sorry you not well adjusted and are easily offended. You need to learn from you deficiencies not attach others. Being a teacher is probably not good for someone so self centered. Ability to correctly pronounce words is critical in both languages. 

If you are sincere you should take a course learning Thai that will improve your knowledge and pronunciation.

Thai language pronunciation of English words is quite different when speaking Thai. Often words are stressed differently and use different sounds. Look at Thai TV and see what the reporters are saying. They're speaking Thai not English. When speaking English, English pronunciation is very important. When speaking Thai use the Thai pronunciation if you want to be understood. Thais are laughing at you because you sound a little crazy to them. 

Took the the Mercedes in for a service had to book and wait 3 days to get it in for a service. b4 never had to wait could call up and go that day if need be.  This time when I went inside to drop it off the place was full to the brim and the Mercedes show room and waiting areas were supplying proper coffee and proper food ( for free) never seen that b4 been taking the car in for the last 5 years there. So yes the Mercedes business is ticking along quite nicely thanks. 

• Like 2

On 8/4/2020 at 9:46 AM, Katipo said:

Publicly listed companies are asking staff to resign, as opposed to officially laying them off, so as to avoid raising concern with shareholders. 

That is not the primary reason to ask staff to resign - the primary reason is to avoid paying severance, 

that is certain if it is a layoff.

2 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Yep, is simply MY exps as a TEACHER, Volunteer, and Having been a Chef. Also being the only farang in my apt building. So I am basically around thais and asians much more than with westerners when I am in LOS.

Is an observation and from using my ears, again, as a teacher, I have to listen to HOW my students SPEAK , so that I can help them improve, which I found very difficult in a culture that is too scared to even speak at all. Do thais NOT use Ls over Rs?  Ps over Bs?   W over V????   TV=TWee  Visa=Wee-sah and so on....Do you not listen to thais? They DONT say this?  Chai Krup---Phoot thai gaeng mak.....Yindee tee dai rujak krup....

Mai sabai? Should I go to the temple and beg forgiveness for observing?  Or turn in my teaching degree I paid for, to help them learn as they copy, sleep, and refuse to ask any questions...Or maybe return my volunteer visa i got from Bkk, where I had to travel from CNX and pay 2000 so that I can work for FREE trying to improve thais use of english......will that make you happy? Thanks for the "quotes" as well..nice.

And per my thai friends? Yes they ask me to say thai words so that they can have a laugh at me. one being how I saw nimmanhaemin as my accent make it sound like a womans private area in regards to smell...He gets a kick out of it as does his thai GF and Thai co-workers, so yep, I stand there as they all laugh at ME.

You see some thais are like Mai pen rai  No problem--sanook mak....but then again others, such as yourself are greatly offended, cos we all know that thais certainly wouldnt do this towards me at all!!!!    Jing lor????

So if you wanna cast the first stone, feel free, but take a look around, or in the mirror, before you do so...

I'll leave this right here for ya to mull over as well....feel free to use the ignore button and make me a ghost

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Thailand

With your vast knowledge, do you think Racism and Xenophobia does not exist in the West? Or it exists there, but negligible?

Between the West vs East how would the above rate in YOUR opinion?

1 hour ago, ravip said:

With your vast knowledge, do you think Racism and Xenophobia does not exist in the West? Or it exists there, but negligible?

Let’s stick to the topic and keep the passive aggressive digs and virtue signaling out of it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, varun said:

That is not the primary reason to ask staff to resign - the primary reason is to avoid paying severance, 

that is certain if it is a layoff.

Yes, while I would normally agree, in a couple of recent cases, they were asked to resign, but still got severance. Rather dodgy.

On 8/4/2020 at 1:38 PM, khunPer said:

Actually the affordable resorts are the ones that remain closed – the ones that many Western tourists normally stay in – whilst the high end resorts has reopened; apart from Chaweng Beach, where only very few are open. And the high end resorts have customers, some even busy during weekends. Some Thais can afford Samui, apparently enough people for up to six extra daily weekend flights, and some changed to larger aircrafts, and up to 5 hours queue-line by the ferries for cars without prior reservation, even after they changed from hourly to half hourly departure in weekends.

kuhnPer you may be right about the "High End" hotels being busy again, but in my experience the guests tend to remain in the hotels/resorts during their breaks....They do not go out to eat or shop....The streets are DEAD!

There are millions without work right now. It is more apparent in some places than others. I know of many buninesses that have failed in Samui, Pattaya, Hua Hin and Bangkok. I hear Phuket is in real trouble. 

In the provinces, it is likely a mixed bag. Some families are likely doing just fine. Other are hurting. There are enough middle class, with jobs, to keep some of the restaurants full. The malls are busy. But, are people buying? 

I know car and home (and condo) sales are way down. The lower end of the rental market is down too, and I am hearing the higher end of the rental market is decimated. 

The longer this shutdown of international tourism goes on, the more pain will be felt, as this administration has been doing next to nothing, to help the little guy. And one wonders how much the brilliant minds in charge, are able to help the big hotel owners, in any meaningful way. Hundreds, if not thousands of major resorts, small hotels and guest houses remain closed. 

Also, exports and some manufacturing are down too. In addition you have the ongoing drought (hopefully the current storms are helping with that, though the winters are more of an issue) and the effect that is having on several crops, and the ongoing rice crisis (highest prices within Asean). So, Thailand has some serious long term issues it needs to deal with, and the cumulative effects of this crisis will be felt over time. 

Edited by spidermike007

On 8/4/2020 at 12:54 PM, smiggley said:

Great news for me, before covid I could not get anyone to help me on the farm at 500baht a day now they come ask me if I have any work. I live just outside Chaiyaphum.

lazy  buggers  by  me  still  wont  work,  only  the  burmese will  do it  at  400 a  day

50 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There are millions without work right now. It is more apparent in some places than others. I know of many buninesses that have failed in Samui, Pattaya, Hua Hin and Bangkok. I hear Phuket is in real trouble. 

In the provinces, it is likely a mixed bag. Some families are likely doing just fine. Other are hurting. There are enough middle class, with jobs, to keep some of the restaurants full. The malls are busy. But, are people buying? 

I know car and home (and condo) sales are way down. The lower end of the rental market is down too, and I am hearing the higher end of the rental market is decimated. 

The longer this shutdown of international tourism goes on, the more pain will be felt, as this administration has been doing next to nothing, to help the little guy. And one wonders how much the brilliant minds in charge, are able to help the big hotel owners, in any meaningful way. Hundreds, if not thousands of major resorts, small hotels and guest houses remain closed. 

Also, exports and some manufacturing are down too. In addition you have the ongoing drought (hopefully the current storms are helping with that, though the winters are more of an issue) and the effect that is having on several crops, and the ongoing rice crisis (highest prices within Asean). So, Thailand has some serious long term issues it needs to deal with, and the cumulative effects of this crisis will be felt over time. 

Thailand fell into a trap relying too much on foreign tourism. This is evident by the numerous attractions and hotels in Pattaya, Phuket etc. As soon as Thailand realizes (might already have) tourism brings only so much but at a high cost. Developing a stable economy, supplemented by some tourism is OK, but relying on this makes Thailand too susceptible to global economic conditions. When things contract, luxuries like tourism are first to feel the pinch. 

In many rural provinces, the effects have not been felt.  

1 hour ago, bodga said:

lazy  buggers  by  me  still  wont  work,  only  the  burmese will  do it  at  400 a  day

Many Thais are looking for steady employment. Day labor at low wages is OK to get by, but not what quality workers seek. Offer something steady with acceptable pay and you'll have no problems getting very hard working staff. 

3 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Thailand fell into a trap relying too much on foreign tourism.

In fact Thailand fell into a double trap, by relying too much on foreign tourism, and to make things even worse, by relying overwhelmingly on one country to provide the bulk of the tourists. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Thailand fell into a trap relying too much on foreign tourism. This is evident by the numerous attractions and hotels in Pattaya, Phuket etc. As soon as Thailand realizes (might already have) tourism brings only so much but at a high cost. Developing a stable economy, supplemented by some tourism is OK, but relying on this makes Thailand too susceptible to global economic conditions. When things contract, luxuries like tourism are first to feel the pinch. 

In many rural provinces, the effects have not been felt.  

I would agree with most of what you said. Except, I would change that last statement to "in many rural areas, to date the effects have been felt less, than in the big cities". All areas are affected by this economic slowdown. Some more than others. Every rural area has some family members working in the cities, and sending money home. Every rural area benefits from international tourism indirectly, manufacturing and exports. And the longer this crisis continues, the longer the world economy contracts, and the longer the nation seals itself off from the rest of the world, the more these financial problems will be felt nationwide. 

On 8/4/2020 at 9:21 PM, checkered flag said:

I thought the topic here was unemployment, not negative racial cultural views. Sorry you not well adjusted and are easily offended. You need to learn from you deficiencies not attach others. Being a teacher is probably not good for someone so self centered. Ability to correctly pronounce words is critical in both languages. 

If you are sincere you should take a course learning Thai that will improve your knowledge and pronunciation.

Thai language pronunciation of English words is quite different when speaking Thai. Often words are stressed differently and use different sounds. Look at Thai TV and see what the reporters are saying. They're speaking Thai not English. When speaking English, English pronunciation is very important. When speaking Thai use the Thai pronunciation if you want to be understood. Thais are laughing at you because you sound a little crazy to them. 

Thanks for sharing.....Solly I you no like..Up to You.....

23 hours ago, ravip said:

You dont seem to agree with my "opinions" so feel free to ignore me ,or to translate from Thai.."Up To You"