VPN

djayz

Just wondering, does the average Joe Soap like me need a VPN? I'm not up to anything dubious or "bad" online, so I was wondering why do people need VPNs in the first place? 

9 hours ago, RichCor said:

You're in luck. This topic has been brought up on ThaiVisa before   ...and while the forum search function may not work so well at finding them, google search will reveal them to you no problem.

If you want to constrain your results to just the thaivisa site, then head over to google.com and type:

site:thaivisa.com why VPN

VPN in Thailand: necessary from a security perspective?
By Sambora, February 24, 2017 in IT and Computers

VPN info required....newbie
By Kenny202, February 22 in IT and Computers

VPN doesn't work for Australian catch-up TV
By Nemises, July 10, 2017 in Audio/Visual

Is it really necessary to have a VPN?
By giddyup, December 4, 2019 in Audio/Visual

Is it really worthwhile getting a VPN
By Brer, October 29, 2019 in Audio/Visual

How does utorrent connect to the internet? Should I use a VPN?
By johnnybgood, February 22, 2019 in IT and Computers

etc., etc., etc.

...and similar ThaiVisa results should appear.

I use VPNs for remote work (to utilize the Virtual Private Network tunnel as if I were actually there).

Sometimes I need to force my "public Internet physical location" to view websites that block overseas users, or to bypass a slow International trunk (by forcing my public Internet connection to start from Singapore).

Others use VPNs when using 3rd party WiFi connections to maintain security and privacy (even if most of the stuff you do is https:// encrypted), avoiding hackers and spying;

or when wanting your connection to appear as if it's local to a certain country to bypass geolocation lockouts when streaming; or NOT to give your actual location away (google services may know your actual location if anyone has ever connected to your WiFi using a GPS enabled phone);

or when torrenting shared content

Thanks! I'm hopeless when it comes to typing in search functions. 

"geolocation" - that's a new one for me. 

Thanks again for the links. 

Quick answer without reading anything but the title. 

Everybody needs a VPN for many different reasons. If you can afford $10/month then buy one. 

If you can't then don't bother because free ones just give you a false sense of security. 

This topic has cycled through the forum several times a year. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I find it odd that so many tv companies spend millions on producing programmes and then block you from seeing them. All it does is cost them worldwide revenue and encourage piracy.

First, we had Napster which made the music industry wake up and offer music legally on-line, and now it's a massive business. Then we had DVDs that you paid for and then could only play in restricted parts of the world. So, people made them available on torrents for free. Now we have IPTV, pirated feeds, as the tv companies can't organise themselves to tap a worldwide market. The pirates can, but the billion dollar tv companies can't.

Just imagine how many expats around the world, and others just interested in their content, that could subscribe if the companies got their act together. And think of the money they'd save not having to play cat and mouse with those providing the service that they refuse to.

I think that's more of a licensing issue. Certain companies are only allowed to broadcast/show/sell in certain territories. 

Thanks to all the members who posted. I think I'm getting the bigger picture now. Always assumed this was only for people who were up to dodgy stuff. 

21 hours ago, RichCor said:

You're in luck. This topic has been brought up on ThaiVisa before   ...and while the forum search function may not work so well at finding them, google search will reveal them to you no problem.

Far above and beyond the call of duty, sir!! But well done!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, djayz said:

I think that's more of a licensing issue. Certain companies are only allowed to broadcast/show/sell in certain territories. 

Probably closer to the case -- the content creators, wanting to make as much money as possible, sell the rights to whatever jurisdictions they choose on a case by case basis. And there aren't that many truly worldwide/international movie/TV distribution sources, Netflix probably being as close as anyone gets to that. So beyond that and Amazon to a lesser extent, it's usually divied up country by country, which accounts for the patchwork of licensing rights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djayz said:

Always assumed this was only for people who were up to dodgy stuff. 

No, no.  People that are up to no good, doing dodgy stuff, are accessing the Deep and Dark Webs using TOR/TAILS. Totally different.

Us VPN users are innocent angels just trying to avoid being caught up in all the dodgy stuff that goes on around us. Don't mind us, we were never here.

• Haha 1

I don't like the thought that my online activities can be hacked, tracked and traced without my knowing so I'm almost permanently in a VPN.  It's also useful for geolocation purposes as others have stated.

I don't recommend free VPN services, though.  No such thing as a free lunch, if you get my drift.  

• Like 1

download the Opera browser, it comes with it's own VPN. Downside is sites that require a VPN are now being hacked and hijacked by 3rd party VPN sellers and block some content unless you buy their VPN.

I don't know if buying a VPN can bypass the hijacking. If someone on here has a paid VPN and would like to try, pm me for the 2 urls I use to watch TV in the states.

On 8/3/2020 at 6:24 PM, djayz said:

Just wondering, does the average Joe Soap like me need a VPN?

If your using Mozilla  (firefox) they give you a free one...... No opinions I haven't tried it-but you can start with trying that

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, torturedsole said:

I don't like the thought that my online activities can be hacked, tracked and traced without my knowing so I'm almost permanently in a VPN.  It's also useful for geolocation purposes as others have stated.

I don't recommend free VPN services, though.  No such thing as a free lunch, if you get my drift.  

Actually your online activities can be hacked, tracked and traced without your knowing by malicious VPN provider ????

You can be safe only if you set up your very own VPN server, using a dedicated server only - not a VPS/VDS.

BTW some free VPN services are OK in terms of privacy & security, and many paid VPN services are not OK.

BTW2 your geolocation could be determined by about a dozen of methods, not just by IP address. And the real IP address behind the VPN could be determined too, you have to tweak your system heavily to make VPN really protect you.

Edited by fdsa

5 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I thought the Mozilla Firefox VPN only worked if you were in the USA. 

I don't use it Khun-Heineken....(or any VPN) ....but would be very surprised if that's the case, I Googled and couldn't find anything saying that-----how it works is --internally--they know you are coming from a Firefox but not what country...if it could only be used in 1 country----what would be the point of having it.

https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/the-best-vpns-for-firefox/

30 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I don't use it Khun-Heineken....(or any VPN) ....but would be very surprised if that's the case, I Googled and couldn't find anything saying that-----how it works is --internally--they know you are coming from a Firefox but not what country...if it could only be used in 1 country----what would be the point of having it.

https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/the-best-vpns-for-firefox/

Just one of many articles on the first page of a Google search. 

It's now available in the US, UK, Singapore, Malaysia, Canada and New Zealand, but was previously only available for US users.

https://www.tomsguide.com/features/firefox-vpn

49 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Just one of many articles on the first page of a Google search. 

Thanks for the link KH ...I must admit I am finding a little confusing.....this from that link

However, when we start to dig a little deeper we can see what that money gets you.

"Mozilla offers 280+ servers in 40+ locations over 31 countries."

So the free one is restricted ?? then it gives you 5 different devices for $4.99 a month, but still only in certain countries---is that how you read it? anyway I had better stop telling people about it,,,,,as  I have never used it I shouldn't recommend it.

again--Thanks for the link I missed

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 12:13 PM, sanuk711 said:

Thanks for the link KH ...I must admit I am finding a little confusing.....this from that link

However, when we start to dig a little deeper we can see what that money gets you.

"Mozilla offers 280+ servers in 40+ locations over 31 countries."

So the free one is restricted ?? then it gives you 5 different devices for $4.99 a month, but still only in certain countries---is that how you read it? anyway I had better stop telling people about it,,,,,as  I have never used it I shouldn't recommend it.

again--Thanks for the link I missed

I think eventually, it will be available to everyone, anywhere.  Maybe rolling it out just in the USA was like a beta test, then they rolled it out to a few other countries. 

If successful, I think they will make it available for everyone, no matter where you are.  

On 8/4/2020 at 7:25 PM, Logosone said:

Do you want full access to US Netflix content? Then you need a VPN.

Do you want to watch BBCiplayer from your tablet or laptop or phone for free? Then you need a VPN.

Do you want German, Spanish, French and other TV content for free? Then you need a VPN.

Do you want to subscribe to Hulu in the US? Then you need a VPN.

Do you want to visit the darkweb using Tor? Then you don't need but should use a VPN.

Do you need to pretend you're in the UK for downloading specific content? Then you need a VPN.

I also use a VPN when doing online banking.  Try either ExpressVPN or Surf Shark.

Edited by phetphet

I am on a rolling month-by-month ExpressVPN subscription and use it maybe once or twice a week to look at BBC iPlayer. A couple of days ago, iPlayer blocked access although the IP address used still translates as London. I know the BBC probably have a room for of nerds tracking all commercial VPN IP addresses and shut them down. Anyone with experience of ExpressVPN and iPlayer know if this is permanent or does ExpressVPN change IP addresses frequently to get around the annoying geoblocking?

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Anyone with experience of ExpressVPN and iPlayer know if this is permanent or does ExpressVPN change IP addresses frequently to get around the annoying geoblocking?

I had a similar experience with another VPN I was paying for. I contacted their support and was explained step by step how to get it working again. In my case I created a brand new profile on my web browser used to access the iPlayer with all clean caches and cookies. I now always keep that profile for use just with VPN and iPlayer only and never anything else now to disrupt the cache or cookie data.

Edited by Hamus Yaigh
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 4:15 AM, NanLaew said:

I am on a rolling month-by-month ExpressVPN subscription and use it maybe once or twice a week to look at BBC iPlayer. A couple of days ago, iPlayer blocked access although the IP address used still translates as London. I know the BBC probably have a room for of nerds tracking all commercial VPN IP addresses and shut them down. Anyone with experience of ExpressVPN and iPlayer know if this is permanent or does ExpressVPN change IP addresses frequently to get around the annoying geoblocking?

Yes, ExpressVPN change the IP addresses regularly, but you might also be aware that UK has four ExpressVPN servers, Docklands, East London, London and Wembley.  Did you try to change the UK server at the time?

I've experienced the same occasionally with US servers with Netflix.  If one doesn't work then simply change the server and never experienced any further issue.  

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 4:15 PM, torturedsole said:

Yes, ExpressVPN change the IP addresses regularly, but you might also be aware that UK has four ExpressVPN servers, Docklands, East London, London and Wembley.  Did you try to change the UK server at the time?

I've experienced the same occasionally with US servers with Netflix.  If one doesn't work then simply change the server and never experienced any further issue.  

Only seeing two right now; London and East London. Both blocked.

veepeeen.jpg.3a2268c2f2566388f2b92667bd96b298.jpg

I just downloaded and clean installed Pale Moon browser. Totally virgin without cache or cookies. Fired up iPlayer on ExpressVPN East London... blocked.

Just in case Pale Moon hijacks some Firefox settings, I decided to launch the near virgin Edge browser and try it there... blocked.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Only seeing two right now; London and East London. Both blocked.

Thats because you search for "london". Try searching for "uk" instead. Or, you can click through the servers for All places => Europe => UK.