VPN

djayz

14 minutes ago, farang51 said:
32 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Only seeing two right now; London and East London. Both blocked.

Thats because you search for "london". Try searching for "uk" instead. Or, you can click through the servers for All places => Europe => UK.

Searched UK, selected Wembley, cleared cache, opened iPlayer... blocked.

On 8/21/2020 at 10:15 AM, NanLaew said:

I am on a rolling month-by-month ExpressVPN subscription and use it maybe once or twice a week to look at BBC iPlayer. A couple of days ago, iPlayer blocked access although the IP address used still translates as London. I know the BBC probably have a room for of nerds tracking all commercial VPN IP addresses and shut them down. Anyone with experience of ExpressVPN and iPlayer know if this is permanent or does ExpressVPN change IP addresses frequently to get around the annoying geoblocking?

I think BBC get smarter in that regard.

I use VPNunlimited which has a dedicated Iplayer server, and it has always worked fine.

Using the app on Android, up to version 4.94 it works perfect, but new versions of the app it is blocked.

So I have to stay with version 4.94 of the app, or use the website which works fine on the same Android device or Windows PC

Edited by Susco

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Only seeing two right now; London and East London. Both blocked.

veepeeen.jpg.3a2268c2f2566388f2b92667bd96b298.jpg

The ExpressVPN iOS app shows four UK servers so suspect searching on London is limiting your options, though have also seen your latest update where you state three of the ExpressVPN UK servers not working with iPlayer.  Unfortunately, I can't test it myself as I'm in the UK.  

Have you contacted ExpressVPN online helpdesk?  They are very efficient and professional.

Okay, is anyone else having issues viewing BBC iPlayer with ExpressVPN outside of the UK?  I would expect to have heard additional complaints in this regard but can't see any.

923934754_2020-08-2419_31_28.thumb.png.f948d1d0a2b9d627f541fa3d10fe8136.png2117085129_2020-08-2419_30_48.thumb.jpg.3f12e9b37ced479f38f2cb0ab097885c.jpg

Edited by torturedsole

18 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Actually, good point.  Monday not the best day for logic, particularly after 10 hour day working from home.

Been there, done that ...

Just tested:

From Denmark - a notice saying that the content is not available.

From London - asked to sign in; no notice about blocking.

1 minute ago, farang51 said:

Been there, done that ...

Just tested:

From Denmark - a notice saying that the content is not available.

From London - asked to sign in; no notice about blocking.

Yes, have to have BBC account to watch content but can be any old details then asks if you have TV licence.  Usual blurb.

Not been able to access BBC iPlayer via ExpressVPN for over a week now. In Thailand. Have contacted ExpressVPN who gave me 2 free weeks and told me that their engineers are working on it. Still no access. Have had the same problem before but usually resolved in a couple of days. Not looking good.

Is anyone currently using NordVPN to access BBC iPlayer from Thailand and is it working today?

I'll slip in a side question, as no point starting a new thread.

It's been discussed on many VPN threads how companies, in this case, broadcasting companies, block streams based on IP Addresses,  Most likely because one IP Address could have 100 or more people streaming from it, which indicates to the broadcaster the IP Address is a VPN, so they blacklist it.

Does anyone know if this is their only method of detecting if a VPN is being used?  Is there such a thing as VPN detection software?

I have my own VPN, tunneling back to my own router.  Could this ever be shut down?  

Edited by KhunHeineken

7 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Okay, is anyone else having issues viewing BBC iPlayer with ExpressVPN outside of the UK?  I would expect to have heard additional complaints in this regard but can't see any.

Yes, a few days ago I started being unable to play Bytesize clips from BBC iPlayer and I use ExpressVPN. 

I'm in Thailand, contacted Express VPN and they looked into it, then said they were aware of the problem with BBCiplayer and their engineers were looking into it. Got a complimentary 2 weeks and a promise they would contact me when the issue was resolved. 

Nothing yet. I think I may have to pay for a dedicated VPN IP address to avoid these issues in the future.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

It's been discussed on many VPN threads how companies, in this case, broadcasting companies, block streams based on IP Addresses,  Most likely because one IP Address could have 100 ore more people streaming from it, which indicates to the broadcaster the IP Address is a VPN, so they blacklist it.

Does anyone know if this is their only method of detecting if a VPN is being used?  Is there such a think as VPN detection software?

I have my own VPN, tunneling back to my own router.  Could this ever be shut down?  

I think you've pretty much got it on the normal method of detecting VPNs. However, I've been told that the BBC additionally can look at other aspects of your device such as Google geolocation. I always have my PC set to UK time and geolocation set to a point in the UK. Haven't had this problem for a couple of years until a week ago.

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Yes, a few days ago I started being unable to play Bytesize clips from BBC iPlayer and I use ExpressVPN. 

I'm in Thailand, contacted Express VPN and they looked into it, then said they were aware of the problem with BBCiplayer and their engineers were looking into it. Got a complimentary 2 weeks and a promise they would contact me when the issue was resolved. 

Nothing yet. I think I may have to pay for a dedicated VPN IP address to avoid these issues in the future.

Who offers this service and how much does it cost?

16 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

It's been discussed on many VPN threads how companies, in this case, broadcasting companies, block streams based on IP Addresses,  Most likely because one IP Address could have 100 ore more people streaming from it, which indicates to the broadcaster the IP Address is a VPN, so they blacklist it.

Does anyone know if this is their only method of detecting if a VPN is being used?  Is there such a think as VPN detection software?

You're right that indeed a large number of people will be using the very limited, four, UK addresses say Express VPN provide, and BBC can identify these four IP addresses are therefor VPN addresses. 

However, there are other methods. Some content providers supposedly block everyone using a VPN outright, so there must be a way for content providers to find out if someone is using a VPN.

Obviously using your own VPN you're in the best position possible and it is unlikely to be shut down, unless people like BBC ever decide to ban anyone using VPNs outright, which is unlikely.

4 minutes ago, Logosone said:

You're right that indeed a large number of people will be using the very limited, four, UK addresses say Express VPN provide, and BBC can identify these four IP addresses are therefor VPN addresses. 

However, there are other methods. Some content providers supposedly block everyone using a VPN outright, so there must be a way for content providers to find out if someone is using a VPN.

Obviously using your own VPN you're in the best position possible and it is unlikely to be shut down, unless people like BBC ever decide to ban anyone using VPNs outright, which is unlikely.

Many people set up their VPN in their router, so their whole network is secure and private.  That would be a pain having to go into your router and turn it on and off every time you wanted to stream some TV.  

I sent a help reqwuest to ExpressVPN before I turned in last night. Note that my iPlayer account that was set up about 6 weeks ago is blocked on both my PC that is running on Thailand time and my laptop which is running in UK time. All four ExpressVPN servers strike out on both machines on multiple browsers.

Only the acknowledgment autoresponder message from ExressVPN so far.

Someone mentioned the Opera browser has a built-in VPN but AFAIK, it's not country-specific and only offers regional VPN's with 'Europe' being the all-inclusive one for the UK.

I just checked Nord VPN charge 62.30 Euro for a static IP address, that's per year.

Many people set up their VPN in their router, so their whole network is secure and private.  

That's one of the reasons why I think it's unlikely places like BBC will ban all VPNs outright.

They will continue to ban obvious VPN addresses from providers though.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, polpott said:

This is additional to your basic fee. Sign up, create an account then request dedicated IP.

https://nordvpn.com/features/dedicated-ip/

That's right, still a small price to pay for no issues with the VPN.

But I'll see how it goes first. I'm guessing the bulk of ExpressVPN customers do not pay for the dedicated address, and ExpressVPN want to keep them happy as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Logosone said:

That's right, still a small price to pay for no issues with the VPN.

But I'll see how it goes first. I'm guessing the bulk of ExpressVPN customers do not pay for the dedicated address, and ExpressVPN want to keep them happy as well.

I don't think that a dedicated IP address is an option with Express VPN. However, just judging by this thread they must be getting inundated with complaints. I'm sure they will be getting worried about deminishing their customer base.

I too will give them a bit longer but one month is my limit as programs start to drop off BBC iPlayer after 28 days. England v Pakistan 3rd test will disappear in a couple of weeks. Intolerable 555.

55 minutes ago, polpott said:

I don't think that a dedicated IP address is an option with Express VPN. However, just judging by this thread they must be getting inundated with complaints. I'm sure they will be getting worried about deminishing their customer base.

I too will give them a bit longer but one month is my limit as programs start to drop off BBC iPlayer after 28 days. England v Pakistan 3rd test will disappear in a couple of weeks. Intolerable 555.

The only reason I signed up for ExpressVPN on the monthly gig was to see how my sporadic BBC iPlayer forays went. It just renewed a couple of days ago and if there's not a robust solution, I can cancel and try someone else. My mate recommends Pure VPN but I am sure it will have the same challenges as the BBC are super-protective. When you sign up, they even ask if you have a UK television license F F S?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

When you sign up, they even ask if you have a UK television license F F S?

My UK address didn't have a TV licence so I quoted a neighbour's address/postcode who did have a TV licence. Not had the problem with All4, ITV Hub or My5, just the BBC.

Oh well, ITV 4 are showing full coverage of Le Tour starting Saturday so it will be "Up yours, BBC" for the next 3 weeks.

This BBC iplayer is accessible from TH with a UK vpn but it requires a subscription or a "tv license". Don't see any free channels.

BUT....if I click on "I have a TV License. Watch Now." it works.

Is this not a paid service?

SCR 2020-08-25 at 1.13.21 PM.jpg

Edited by i84teen

38 minutes ago, i84teen said:

This BBC iplayer is accessible from TH with a UK vpn but it requires a subscription or a "tv license". Don't see any free channels.

BUT....if I click on "I have a TV License. Watch Now." it works.

Is this not a paid service?

No, it's a free service but BBC blocks streaming it outside the UK due to "rights issues"

It may be accessible to you right now via VPN but the issue at hand is they regularly block IP addresses that they reckon are VPN providers.

Just checked my email: no other contact beyond their autoresponder.

Edited by NanLaew

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

No, it's a free service but BBC blocks streaming it outside the UK due to "rights issues"

It may be accessible to you right now via VPN but the issue at hand is they regularly block IP addresses that they reckon are VPN providers.

Just checked my email: no other contact beyond their autoresponder.

Oh, ok, I see. Thanks.

I am using a "dedicated residential" London vpn server location. If it gets detected & blocked a new residential IP address is assigned to me as a guarantee from the provider.

Been using the same residential IP's both in UK & USA for a few years now and have yet to be blocked by any streaming service.

(FYI-in case anyone is in need of such a service).

I am also having trouble with Express Vpn and iPlayer.  My solution is to use Smartdnsproxy which works well and does not slow down my internet speed. Cheap as chips to use and they offer a free trial also.

Have had the service for three years so far.

Edited by tlcwaterfall
  • Thanks 1