VPN

djayz

I got a response from ExpressVPN a few days ago. They gave me a workaround for the BBC's live TV channels (via a Swiss streaming service using a Swiss IP address). Doesn't really help me as I was more interested in the BBC's online drama and other entertainment content which is only available on iPlayer website.

They acknowledged the issue with the main iPlayer website and said (again) that it is still being worked on.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

With no joy from ExpressVPN allowing BBC iPlayer access, I installed PureVPN on their 7-day trial.

Express VPN resolved the problem with BBC iPlayer a week ago. Its been operating normally since then. The only problem is that they only resolved it with one UK node, London. The other nodes still have the problem. This seems to have resulted in all Express VPN traffic being funneled through the one node causing a degree of buffering, not only on iPlayer but other British channels too. However, its not too intrusive.

17 hours ago, polpott said:
21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

With no joy from ExpressVPN allowing BBC iPlayer access, I installed PureVPN on their 7-day trial.

Express VPN resolved the problem with BBC iPlayer a week ago. Its been operating normally since then. The only problem is that they only resolved it with one UK node, London. The other nodes still have the problem. This seems to have resulted in all Express VPN traffic being funneled through the one node causing a degree of buffering, not only on iPlayer but other British channels too. However, its not too intrusive.

Good update, thanks. It's a pity their otherwise helpful customer support didn't email to advise me of this fix while I still had their app installed and was testing PureVPN.

FWIW, the PureVPN customer support have picked up on the canceled 7-day trial and emailed me this cringeworthy nonsense. Is this how customer service looks in the new post-millennial years? Don't they know that some folks are afflicted by Ailurophobia?

601829780_WhatsAppImage2020-09-20at19_42_54.thumb.jpeg.2c9381573531cd1a07bc68722c0759a2.jpeg

36 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Good update, thanks. It's a pity their otherwise helpful customer support didn't email to advise me of this fix while I still had their app installed and was testing PureVPN.

FWIW, the PureVPN customer support have picked up on the canceled 7-day trial and emailed me this cringeworthy nonsense. Is this how customer service looks in the new post-millennial years? Don't they know that some folks are afflicted by Ailurophobia?

601829780_WhatsAppImage2020-09-20at19_42_54.thumb.jpeg.2c9381573531cd1a07bc68722c0759a2.jpeg

Having almost given up on Express VPN, I did some research with a view to changing to a new VPN. The only sure way of defeating the BBC is by using a VPN with a dedicated IP address (yours and yours alone). The only major VPN to offer this facility is Nord VPN.....at a price.

On 8/3/2020 at 10:05 PM, RichCor said:

You're in luck. This topic has been brought up on ThaiVisa before   ...and while the forum search function may not work so well at finding them, google search will reveal them to you no problem.

If you want to constrain your results to just the thaivisa site, then head over to google.com and type:

site:thaivisa.com why VPN

VPN in Thailand: necessary from a security perspective?
By Sambora, February 24, 2017 in IT and Computers

VPN info required....newbie
By Kenny202, February 22 in IT and Computers

VPN doesn't work for Australian catch-up TV
By Nemises, July 10, 2017 in Audio/Visual

Is it really necessary to have a VPN?
By giddyup, December 4, 2019 in Audio/Visual

Is it really worthwhile getting a VPN
By Brer, October 29, 2019 in Audio/Visual

How does utorrent connect to the internet? Should I use a VPN?
By johnnybgood, February 22, 2019 in IT and Computers

etc., etc., etc.

...and similar ThaiVisa results should appear.

I use VPNs for remote work (to utilize the Virtual Private Network tunnel as if I were actually there).

Sometimes I need to force my "public Internet physical location" to view websites that block overseas users, or to bypass a slow International trunk (by forcing my public Internet connection to start from Singapore).

Others use VPNs when using 3rd party WiFi connections to maintain security and privacy (even if most of the stuff you do is https:// encrypted), avoiding hackers and spying;

or when wanting your connection to appear as if it's local to a certain country to bypass geolocation lockouts when streaming; or NOT to give your actual location away (google services may know your actual location if anyone has ever connected to your WiFi using a GPS enabled phone);

or when torrenting shared content

This begs the longstanding question as to why the search function on TV is so completely useless.  I can only imagine that there is some kind of valid technical reason as to why it's never been sorted out and would welcome an open response from the development team (rather than having this post deleted under the Lèse-ThaiVisa rules.).

• Thanks 1

If you want UK programs ---What can you get with a VPN that you can not get 1 or 2 hours latter from one of the internet sites that are dedicated to uploading all UK programs including the Irish/Scottish/English weather reports..??

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

If you want UK programs ---What can you get with a VPN that you can not get 1 or 2 hours latter from one of the internet sites that are dedicated to uploading all UK programs including the Irish/Scottish/English weather reports..??

A lot. 555. I watch most programmes via catchup. Who watches live TV in 2020?

30 minutes ago, polpott said:

I watch most programmes via catchup. Who watches live TV in 2020?

I don't watch live TV,,,,,who mentioned it ???

Most programs are ready to download about 1-2 hours after they are shown....... I Live Thailand so that makes 90% of the UK programs to late for me. I watch most the next day by choice. Maybe the only exception is when an important Boxing match or my football team is playing--then I may watch live. but I am not keen on streaming.

2 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Eh? I'm watching it now using SurfShark.

Not for me, and i tried the 3 UK servers they offer,

but its not a problem,as i also have Browsec it always

works,and is a lot easier to use than SurfShark.

regards worgeordie

Strange VPN question department.

In the US, you have 50 states, each state is subdivided into counties. My county is King County. The problem; in my state our voting is through the counties. I am set up on an e mail voting system but to access it I enter via a website --- kingcounty.gov/elections. I assume because of the first name, my county name, and this being Thailand, it will not go through. It is blocked. I am not joking. I checked it and other gateways. I tried Opera, the free VPN but it is blocked there to.

Question. Is there a VPN, a free one or one I can sign up for 7 or 30 day free try out, that evades the internal security blocking system here, so I can  …. VOTE?!  Any and all help appreciated, and I have time, to find a solution. It would be funny if it wasn’t such an important election.

Thanks

45 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Question. Is there a VPN, a free one or one I can sign up for 7 or 30 day free try out, that evades the internal security blocking system here, so I can  …. VOTE?!  Any and all help appreciated, and I have time, to find a solution. It would be funny if it wasn’t such an important election.

No problem to access it from Denmark. If you do not find a solution here, you can contact them on this e-mail address: [email protected]

• Like 1

8 hours ago, farang51 said:

No problem to access it from Denmark.

Thanks for the response. I'm sorry for being cloak and dagger. Because of people criticizing Thailand's sovereign. Thailand blocks anything that references the other title for sovereign - "King". Unfortunately for me, I need to use that to vote. 

So yes I am sure it works fine in Denmark - but I am in Thailand and am trying to find a way around the blocking, I assumed VPN's route you to different portals in different countries. That said, I have used "Opera" on occasion and it DID NOT WORK.

I got through, just checked. Thanks. You guys have connections. ???? Movers and shakers here on Thaivisa. I stand in awe and pretty dang grateful by the way.

I was blocked, what, three, four days? Ever since getting the link to vote. I was blocked as recently as last night. I was experimenting using a proxy site (I'm not good at this stuff) because that is how I thought I was going to have to vote. I checked the regular link, again, at that time. Didn't want to buy a VPN. 

BTW, I'm not making this up. Check Classical KING FM 98.1 on goggle, then click  .. 'Forbidden'   I just checked while typing this out, to make sure it wasn't premature senility or dare I say alzheimer's, but no.  Unfortunately more than a few things that get that treatment as Seattle is located in that county so lots of things are named that way. Television station, Radio, Parks & Recreation, Licensing, etc.

Thanks again.

Edited by LomSak27

• 1 month later...

Currently, my work arounds are working fine, but it can't hurt to plan ahead and have a back up.

Can anyone recommend a VPN provider that offers a dedicated IP address for an Australian server?  That means, you pay for a VPN IP address that only you have, not other subscribers. 

I'm thinking this should go a long way to fixing the problem of IP blacklisting.

When I Google for this, some companies are named, but there is nothing on their website about the product, and prices.

I thought I would post here before I start emailing them.  

I'll be posting this same post in the other VPN thread also, as there is no point starting another VPN thread.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

Currently, my work arounds are working fine, but it can't hurt to plan ahead and have a back up.

Can anyone recommend a VPN provider that offers a dedicated IP address for an Australian server?  That means, you pay for a VPN IP address that only you have, not other subscribers. 

I'm thinking this should go a long way to fixing the problem of IP blacklisting.

When I Google for this, some companies are named, but there is nothing on their website about the product, and prices.

I thought I would post here before I start emailing them.  

I'll be posting this same post in the other VPN thread also, as there is no point starting another VPN thread.   

Nord VPN offers this' Express VPN doesn't. I looked into it for UK. With Nord VPN you need to sign up to their normal service and, once you have an account, then apply for a dedicated VPN (at an extra monthly cost). Its not easy to find on their website but it is there. Go to the website and search "dedicated VPN".

8 minutes ago, polpott said:

Nord VPN offers this' Express VPN doesn't. I looked into it for UK. With Nord VPN you need to sign up to their normal service and, once you have an account, then apply for a dedicated VPN (at an extra monthly cost). Its not easy to find on their website but it is there. Go to the website and search "dedicated VPN".

How are you finding the service, as far as stability and speed? 

I know different countries have different prices, but how much per month are you paying?  

1 minute ago, KhunHeineken said:

How are you finding the service, as far as stability and speed? 

I know different countries have different prices, but how much per month are you paying?  

A few months ago I was having problems accessing BBCiPlayer via Express VPN so looked into a dedicated VPN, and did the research into it. My problem was resolved so didn't make the swap. However, if you need to be future proof, Nord VPN has excellent reviews and is slightly cheaper than Express VPN. Might be worth signing up with them which would then give you the option of converting to a dedicated VPN should the need arise.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 9:04 AM, polpott said:

A few months ago I was having problems accessing BBCiPlayer via Express VPN so looked into a dedicated VPN, and did the research into it. My problem was resolved so didn't make the swap. However, if you need to be future proof, Nord VPN has excellent reviews and is slightly cheaper than Express VPN. Might be worth signing up with them which would then give you the option of converting to a dedicated VPN should the need arise.

I too am having problems accessing BBC Iplayer with Express VPN and am looking for an reliable alternative.

Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, LeungKen said:

I too am having problems accessing BBC Iplayer with Express VPN and am looking for an reliable alternative.

Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Smartdnsproxy works well for me. Inexpensive and does not slow down my internet speed. Works well on BBC Iplayer, Netflix, and most other sites. Free 14 day trial too.

I have used them for 6 years now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Smartdnsproxy works well for me. Inexpensive and does not slow down my internet speed. Works well on BBC Iplayer, Netflix, and most other sites. Free 14 day trial too.

I have used them for 6 years now.

Thanks for the tip, I will give them a try.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 10:34 AM, polpott said:

My current VPN subscription expires in a couple of months.  It's been working fine, but instead of waiting for them to refresh their IP addresses when they have been blacklisted, I think I will change provider to one that offers a dedicated VPN and be done with all the grief, once and for all. 

I can VPN back to my own modem in my home country, and this has got me out of trouble on some occasions, but it is slower than a paid VPN, which is not so good for streaming.

Any other recommendations from members for a dedicated VPN company would be appreciated.    

5 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

My current VPN subscription expires in a couple of months.  It's been working fine, but instead of waiting for them to refresh their IP addresses when they have been blacklisted, I think I will change provider to one that offers a dedicated VPN and be done with all the grief, once and for all. 

I can VPN back to my own modem in my home country, and this has got me out of trouble on some occasions, but it is slower than a paid VPN, which is not so good for streaming.

Any other recommendations from members for a dedicated VPN company would be appreciated.    

If by "dedicated VPN company" you are referring to dedicated, streaming, residential, sports, etc IP address's, then yes there is a good one, Torguard. They offer "dedicated" UK IP's (as an extra cost addon) that are guaranteed to work with streaming services in UK including iPlayer. I've used them for years and they solve geo-blocking issues very well. Avoid NordVPN as they are less than ethical and this can be checked online. Torguard has a stellar reputation.

UK streaming IP's.jpg

Edited by xofswen
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xofswen said:

If by "dedicated VPN company" you are referring to dedicated, streaming, residential, sports, etc IP address's, then yes there is a good one, Torguard.

Thanks for your reply.

No, I don't mean a dedicated VPN company.  I mean a VPN company that sells a dedicated IP Address to you. 

That means, they sell you the use of an IP Address from your nominated country that is only for you to use, no other subscribers can use it.  It is dedicated to your use only.   

This would go a long way to fixing the IP Address blacklist problem we all seem to be getting from time to time, which is bound to keep happening.

Edited by KhunHeineken