AliExpress $60 order. Tax?

macahoom

I guess you think about custom payments.

It seems to be a random thing if you pay or not and maybe even how much.

Over the last years I received maybe 100 small parcels with cheap China Post and never paid anything.

And I received maybe 10 bigger parcels. I think I paid only two times and it wasn't much.

For parcels delivered with DHL or other couriers it seems to be normal that custom and/or tax has to be paid.

I just paid for a very small parcel from SG 140THB. The value of the electronic parts which I ordered was about 1500THB.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

If delivered by China Post,nothing, most of the time, if by

courier, definitely,VAT, maybe other tax,

regards worgeordie

Okay, thanks.

If by courier, could it be 50% of the value? So, on a $60 item I'd be paying another $30 tax?

I'm just trying to get an idea of whether or not it's worth ordering it.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess you think about custom payments.

It seems to be a random thing if you pay or not and maybe even how much.

Over the last years I received maybe 100 small parcels with cheap China Post and never paid anything.

And I received maybe 10 bigger parcels. I think I paid only two times and it wasn't much.

For parcels delivered with DHL or other couriers it seems to be normal that custom and/or tax has to be paid.

I just paid for a very small parcel from SG 140THB. The value of the electronic parts which I ordered was about 1500THB.

Thank you.

Your answer gives me a fair idea of what I might pay if sent by courier. About 10% tax is not a problem. If it was over 50% I'd have to wonder if it is worth it. 

6 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Thank you.

Your answer gives me a fair idea of what I might pay if sent by courier. About 10% tax is not a problem. If it was over 50% I'd have to wonder if it is worth it. 

The 10% is what I paid. But that doesn't mean that is what you will pay.

As far as I know sometimes it can get expensive. And for whatever reason you also pay tax/custom on the shipping fee.

So maybe you will pay 10%, or maybe less or maybe more. Don't count on it!

Sorry for no better answer. But that seems to be the experience from many people here.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Thank you.

Send by courier and be prepared to pay tax, most likely more than 10% all included.

I import goods on a frequent base, using courier is asking for problems

31 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And for whatever reason you also pay tax/custom on the shipping fee.

That is not for whatever reason, it's international standard.

Import duties are always calculated on goods + insurance + postage

1 hour ago, Malawi said:

AliExpress? You probably wont ever receive it so don't worry.

Nonsense troll post, needs to be deleted. 

I've found Aliexpress quite reliable, all considered. Out of nearly 200 orders, I've only failed to receive 2 small items and was refunded for both. The usual rules apply: if possible, order from vendors with decent sales volumes, good reviews, and realistic prices. You can also msg the vendor beforehand.

Delivery had been quite slow, owing to the delay in Thailand, but the logjam now seems to be breaking. Shocked to get one item in only 2 weeks. YMMV. The tracking in Thailand isn't that great, either. You might get something unexpectedly that Aliexpress only shows as "Departed to destination country." 

There's a sale going on for the next couple days, not a bad time to buy.

Never use a courier, never paid any duty even on a B6000 item.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1