Transferwise and Bangkok bank important news

I read here in this forum to use transferwise with Bangkok bank for transfer money from outside Thailand to inside for 40 k bath monthly salary for get marriage visa, I do transfer 40 k last day , today I ask to Bangkok bank where come from this money and bank said come from inside Thailand from kasikorn bank , so transferwise cannot use as proven money coming from outside Thailand 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2020 at 9:11 PM, Moonlover said:

I and many others have used the transaction slip that you can download from TransferWise's website as unequivocal proof that the bank deposit originates from abroad.

I used them for my marriage extension last year and shall be doing the same again later this month. IOs are now quite familiar with them.

Which IO do you go to that allows the transferwise transaction slips?

20 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

@Atarobs > I did PM you a document outlining how to use TransferWise and ensure that you get hold of the evidence that the transfers you made with TW 'originated from abroad' and this irrespective of the thai bank-account you have that receives the transfers.

> To access your PM messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged-in to the Forum.

If you or others read my post #6, then you don't need anymore info about how to use TW if the transfers "have" to show up as International. I have read so much worthless info here about TW from posters with no knowledge or experience of TW what so ever. It's like a blind leading a blind if you get my drift. OP is talking about transfers to Bangkok Bank, TW's primary banking partner. There's no need for any "evidence" as you call it if you do it the correct way. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, mcmco said:

Which IO do you go to that allows the transferwise transaction slips?

Sakon Nakhon. I first used them last July and I thought I might be the first one to do so as the Embassy letters were just expiring at that time. But no, the IO was already familiar with them. Someone had beaten me to it! And I have since read, on TVF.  that many others have been successful in various offices throughout the country using this same method.

@Max69xl I am well aware of how TransferWise operates, however as I do not bank with any of their partners in Thailand (I use Krungrsi) I am unable to obtain these FTT codes that you refer to. But, as I've already said, it doesn't matter, the T/W transaction slip, married to the entry in my bank account provided the proof the the IO wanted to see.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

@Max69xl I am well aware of how TransferWise operates, however as I do not bank with any of their partners in Thailand (I use Krungrsi) I am unable to obtain these FTT codes that you refer to. But, as I've already said, it doesn't matter, the T/W transaction slip, married to the entry in my bank account provided the proof the the IO wanted to see.

11 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Yes, you are correct.

Yes, I know I am. Which renders the rest of your diatribe in post #12 as unnecessary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

Tanoshi - I use Bangkok Bank for my transfers.

Thanks.

When making the transfer from TW, on the page 'What's the reason for your transfer', use the drop down button and select the very bottom option, 'Funds for long term stay in Thailand'.

TW will then transfer through their Bangkok bank partner account to your Bangkok bank account.

This will ensure the transfers are recorded as 'International' on any Bank statements and as FTT (Foreign Telex Transfer) in your Passbook.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2

Post in breach of Forum Rules removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

10 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

Tanoshi - I use Bangkok Bank for my transfers.

Additionally, if your using the Income method and already have transfers that went through one of TW's other partner bank account (namely Kasikorn or TMB) and you don't have the FTT code in your Bangkok bank Passbook, as already mention, many IO's will accept the PDF transaction receipt you can print off from your TW account as proof of International transfer.

This shows the foreign currency converted to baht and The Thai bank it went through to your final BKK account.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If using other banks than those 3 banking partners,then every single deposit will show up as an "Interbank Transfer" or the equivalent terminology at other banks. 

If using Kasikorn or TMB even if the TW transfers go from the same partner accounts, they are only coded as as an 'Interbank Transfer', or 'SMT' (Smart system) in the Passbooks.

• Like 1

For those of use transfering USD from a bank in the U.S.A. to Bangkok Bank I see there are four options:

bank debit (ACH)
wire transfer
debit/credit card
SWIFT

ACH seems like the best if I'm not in any rush.

Is that a correct assumption?

I'm just setting up Transferwise now, as a back-up to my monthly SWIFT X-fers.

21 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

For those of use transfering USD from a bank in the U.S.A. to Bangkok Bank I see there are four options:

• bank debit (ACH)
  • wire transfer
  • debit/credit card
  • SWIFT

This thread launched last week by @Pib will probably be of interest for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

bank debit (ACH)
wire transfer
debit/credit card
SWIFT

Yes...using Bank Debit (ACH) should be the cheapest method.  See below Transferwise and International Wire (SWIFT) transfer comparison as of 6 Aug 2020.   The comparison uses the Bank Debit (ACH) method to fund your Transferwise transfer.  That is, you authorize Transferwise to pull/debit the funds from your U.S. bank acct.

You can make that Transferwise transfer even cheaper by activating the borderless account (a.k.a., multi-currency acct) option within your Transferwise acct.  As a ballpark estimate "how much cheaper" it would basically eliminate the Bank Debit (ACH) fee as talked in the post Peter Denis referenced to.   You can study-up on the Borderless acct option where you basically deposit funds with Transferwise to fund a future transfer(s)...kinda like having Transferwise bank acct (but it's "not" a bank acct; it's just an acct where you can keep a balance of funds with Transferwise to fund transfers/make payments).  

And if wanting to ensure International Transfer/FTT coding on your Bangkok Bank acct be sure to select in the Transferwise reason for transfer pull down menu "Funds for Long Term Stay in Thailand."  This supposedly ensures Transferwise uses Bangkok Bank as their partner bank to accomplish the intra-Thailand transfer to your Bangkok Bank acct which will result in International Transfer/FTT coding in your Bangkok Bank passbook.  If you select another reason your transfer will still complete just as fast but Transferwise may end-up using one of its other Thai partner banks (Kaiskorn or TMB) to relay the funds to your Bangkok Bank account and then you do not get the international transfer coding. 

image.png.03428a7cccbb0afe014d086c6864d9c1.png

• Thanks 2

Just transferred $50,000 from Citibank to BKK bank in NY for $25.00 as it's a domestic transfer. Same as in the past, but since Citi upgraded (?) it's system I had to re-add my BKK NY bank info.

Back in business and as usual, any funds coming in over 50K, I go to the manager in Udon and she gets my a better rate from BKK.

Also a form saying it's external finds with the amount allowing me to take that same amount out again if I wish.

8 hours ago, Imd8ta said:

Just transferred $50,000 from Citibank to BKK bank in NY for $25.00 as it's a domestic transfer. Same as in the past, but since Citi upgraded (?) it's system I had to re-add my BKK NY bank info.

Back in business and as usual, any funds coming in over 50K, I go to the manager in Udon and she gets my a better rate from BKK.

Also a form saying it's external finds with the amount allowing me to take that same amount out again if I wish.

That was a "Domestic Wire" not an ACH transfer.  Wires are/were not affected by the ACH "IAT" policy as domestic wires use the Fedwire system vs ACH system. The Citibank Domestic Wire fee is $25 which you mentioned. 

And when relaying the funds thru the Bkk Bk NY branch via domestic wire or ACH transfer a person still incurs their fee of $10 for a $50K amount plus the in-Thailand branch recieving fee of 0,25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max).  These two fees will not appear on you Bkk Bk acct since they are applied before the funds are posted to you acct..

But even with the three fees you incurred with the domestic wire, you faired better than using Transferwise due to Transferwise's fees that get large for big amounts sent...fees so large Transferwise's higher exchange rate can't offset.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2020 at 9:16 PM, Issanman said:

When you select the reason for the transfer, be sure to select "funds for long term stay in Thailand"

I have been selecting the General Living Expenses option.  It still comes through as a Foreign transfer.  Should I select the Long Term stay option Instead?   Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Varrius said:

I have been selecting the General Living Expenses option.  It still comes through as a Foreign transfer.  Should I select the Long Term stay option Instead?   Thanks.

Assuming you are sending to a Bangkok Bank acct, you've just been lucky probably or maybe you contacted Transferwise to have your transfers "tagged" to always use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank.   If your transfers have not been tagged to use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank, you have simply been lucky in that Transferwise used Bangkok Bank as their partner bank to finalize your transfers.   

Transferwise uses Bangkok Bank, Kaiskorn Bank, and possibly still Thai Military Bank (TMB) as their three partners banks in Thailand to accomplish the final step/leg of the transfer.    If they had used K-bank or TMB as the partner bank for the final step/leg to your Bangkok Bank acct you would not have got International Transfer/FTT coding on your Bangkok Bank acct.

• Like 1