Prefer linux over any of the others?

JohnnyNJoy

Does anyone here prefer linux over windows or mac? I don't use just one, but I do like Linux a fair bit. I believe it's a really useful operating system, and whenever I get my hand on an old laptop that is still usable, I usually install Ubuntu and give it away to family or friends. 

Who here likes Linux? What is your favorite linux distribution? 

• Like 1

I often run Linux Mint XFCE on my laptop, but I only use it for traveling or occasional use. It runs great and looks great with an emerald Manjaro theme. Has FTP, VNC, and SSH for remote access.

Love Linux and have spent quite a bit of time with various distributions. But day-to-day I have to prefer Windows because of particular Windows programs I like and use. Also, Linux absolutely won't work with my printer. Fortunately my Win 10 is extremely stable. It's all tuned up and tweaked to the max, so I can't be too unhappy with it.

You won't find much love here for Linux, however. Forum is packed with Windoze fanbois--it's all they really know or want to know--and I expect they'll be trolling soon.

Edited by BigStar

Just updated recently from Linux mint 18.3 Sylvia to 19.3 Tricia. This is on an old HP laptop that originally had Vista on it. 

It works faster with Linux. In the beginning I had to get used to it, but this one is only for Internet access.

Most comfortable I feel with Linux, than with macOS High Sierra on my Macbook.

Not doing anything with Windows anymore. 

• Like 1

Linux (Ubuntu) for heavy lifting, Windows for casual stuff. Android for mobile. They all have their places. Been using *NIX since 90's, graduated from Solaris. Windows since 3.x and Android since 1.6. 

Edited by DrTuner

Kubuntu. I switched from Mint looking for HiDPI scalability, initially KDE Neon and now Kubuntu because of increased stability. I'm happy enough with Win10 also, I need it for my work software anyway.

PC-DOS 2.0 (1983), SunOS (1994), Win NT 4 (1996)

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You used them all and you are still alive?

My earliest was MS-DOS 3.3 I think in 1988.

Maintain darkness in the crypt during daylight hours, go out a coupla nights a month for feedings, and the centuries just fly by. But before trying this at home, you really should get that unlimited Thai SS health insurance. Fantastic. Set up in one o' them countless vacant condo buildings and you're good. ????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Maintain darkness in the crypt during daylight hours, go out a coupla nights a month for feedings, and the centuries just fly by. But before trying this at home, you really should get that unlimited Thai SS health insurance. Fantastic. Set up in one o' them countless vacant condo buildings and you're good. ????

1u593s.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 12:53 AM, tso310 said:

Linux Mint as its easy to move over from windows.

Installed and moved to Linux Mint from W10 last month. Far less disk space used was one thing I noticed, I have plenty of that. And the fact that I had to use the sudo etc commands to install software, so am back to Windows.

4 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Installed and moved to Linux Mint from W10 last month. Far less disk space used was one thing I noticed, I have plenty of that. And the fact that I had to use the sudo etc commands to install software, so am back to Windows.

Might need to notice more. Mint has not one but two graphical UI programs on the menu for downloading and installing software. And they'll update all your installed software at a go, unlike Windows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1