BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Two NASA Astronauts On A SpaceX Craft Made The First Splashdown In 45 Years

It was the first water landing by American astronauts since 1975, according to NASA.

Two NASA astronauts piloting a SpaceX craft returned to Earth on Sunday, after two months in space, concluding the first human test flight for Elon Musk's aerospace company.

The Crew Dragon capsule carrying Doug Hurley and Robert Behnken parachuted into the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Pensacola, Florida, just before 3 p.m. local time — the first splashdown by American astronauts in 45 years, according to NASA.

"Anybody who's touched Endeavor, you should take a moment to just cherish this day especially given all the things that have happened this year," Hurley said before exiting the capsule, adding that he was "just proud to be a small part of this whole effort."

SpaceX launched Hurley and Behnken into space on May 30. They were the first human crew to be carried into orbit on an American rocket since 2011 when Hurley piloted the final flight of NASA's Atlantis space shuttle.

The Crew Dragon docked at the International Space Station on May 31 where it remained before beginning the return trip Saturday. While at the space station, Hurley and Behnken conducted several spacewalks and contributed to the orbiting laboratory's investigations as they completed more than 1,000 orbits around Earth.

The NASA demonstration mission is the first to be completed under the agency's commercial crew program. NASA intends to pay both SpaceX and Boeing to send astronauts to the ISS aboard seven-person capsules. SpaceX is expected to charge the space agency $55 million per seat, while Boeing is projected to charge $90 million per seat, according to a 2019 report by NASA's inspector general.

This is the next era in human spaceflight where NASA gets to be the customer,” NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said shortly before the astronauts’ return, the Associated Press reported.

SpaceX president and COO Gwynne Shotwell called the successful landing "the beginning" of the future of space travel for the US.

"We are starting the journey of bringing people regularly to and from low Earth orbit and onto the moon and then ultimately onto Mars, so today is a great day," Shotwell said during a press conference after the landing.

She added that she was "incredibly pleased" that the trip and landing "went as smoothly as it did."

"I have such an extraordinary team here at SpaceX — I don't want to undermine any of that — but I think probably the greatest surprise was that this mission was as smooth as it is," she said.

President Donald Trump tweeted that it was "great to have NASA Astronauts return to Earth after very successful two month mission."

FULL ARTICLE

I think endeavors like this are frivolous and a big waste of time, talent, and effort that could go to trying to address our real problem, our continuing destruction of the Earth's environment.

As long as flights like these are confined to Earth orbit and our moon, I will speak out against them, but take no action. If and when, however, there are attempts to send humans to other planets while we're still in the process of destroying this one, I will do whatever I can to stop them.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

With that attitude, everyone would think that the world is flat except for the enlightened that wanted to explore.

On 8/4/2020 at 12:08 AM, Thaivisa Web Content Team said:

SpaceX is expected to charge the space agency $55 million per seat, while Boeing is projected to charge $90 million per seat, according to a 2019 report by NASA's inspector general.

waste of money

I find it interesting that SpaceX, who has made spectacular advances in landing expended rockets, would go with water landings for capsules, unlike their competitors ULA.

2 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

waste of money

And $86 million for Russian Soyuz.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TPUBON said:

With that attitude, everyone would think that the world is flat except for the enlightened that wanted to explore.

How about exploring a cure for cancer or Covid-19.  Or fixing health care.  There is certainly a place for commercial space endeavors.

2 hours ago, casey1 said:

Noted, and thank you for expressing your feelings so clearly and unequivocally, without anyone needing to ask you.  Do you want everybody else's opinion as well or are you of a closed mindset???

I posted a laughing emoji on your post, but you're spot on. Thanks.

6 hours ago, casey1 said:

Noted, and thank you for expressing your feelings so clearly and unequivocally, without anyone needing to ask you.  Do you want everybody else's opinion as well or are you of a closed mindset???

Yes, I'd be interested to know how anyone could justify these types of endeavors when we are destroying our planet's biosphere with our technology, hubris, and overpopulation. 

17 hours ago, billsmart said:

Yes, I'd be interested to know how anyone could justify these types of endeavors when we are destroying our planet's biosphere with our technology, hubris, and overpopulation. 

Really??? where have you been all your life........ have you seen and experienced all the benefits that these endeavours have brought? The advances that have resulted from these types of endeavours have raised life expectancy, quality of life and enriched nearly everyone in the world...

The issues you talk about are nothing to do with those endeavours but more the greed and avarice of people

modern endeavours in technology are about improving the world not destroying it......and arguably has been the case for a long time

hubris... that's an interesting concept to associate with destroying planet biosphere.... we all need a certain amount of hubris... that  results in progress not regress....

overpopulation....well I hope you never produced any offspring so you can justify your claim... and indeed with those sort of sweeping statements, if you haven't produced ... I congratulate you on improving the worlds breeding stocks well done

That said we most definitely need to question how do some things matter? I am reminded of the millions of dollars NASA spent developing a pen that would work in space... the Russians used a pencil.....

And really it could be argued we have regressed with Spacex byt going to a splashdown rather than a landing ....

• Like 1

All credit  to SpaceX for their achievement in terms of the recyclable rocket but it  does indeed seem a retrograde step in crash landing capsules into the sea.

I have never yet seen a good explanation as to why the  Space Shuttle concept was abandoned.

Posted (edited)
On 8/6/2020 at 8:24 AM, casey1 said:

Really??? where have you been all your life........ have you seen and experienced all the benefits that these endeavours have brought? The advances that have resulted from these types of endeavours have raised life expectancy, quality of life and enriched nearly everyone in the world...

The issues you talk about are nothing to do with those endeavours but more the greed and avarice of people

modern endeavours in technology are about improving the world not destroying it......and arguably has been the case for a long time

hubris... that's an interesting concept to associate with destroying planet biosphere.... we all need a certain amount of hubris... that  results in progress not regress....

overpopulation....well I hope you never produced any offspring so you can justify your claim... and indeed with those sort of sweeping statements, if you haven't produced ... I congratulate you on improving the worlds breeding stocks well done

That said we most definitely need to question how do some things matter? I am reminded of the millions of dollars NASA spent developing a pen that would work in space... the Russians used a pencil.....

And really it could be argued we have regressed with Spacex byt going to a splashdown rather than a landing ....

All of our endeavors have combined to bring the Earth's biosphere to the brink of destruction. All of our technologies are destructive to the environment. The only benefits that are gleaned from them are some for humans. To all other forms of life, they are a liability.

Technology is only the proximate cause of this. The other two primary causes are human hubris and overpopulation.

If you want more details, or care to know more about my opinion on this subject, read my recent book, The Icarus Syndrome. You can buy it on Amazon or go to my private website at http://www.billsmart.com/bsc/E-Publishing/FreeBooks.htm and download an e-book for free.

Edited by billsmart