Expats believe Thailand is correct to keep its borders closed to foreign tourists

webfact

2 hours ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

No surprise with those results I guess most TV members are over 65 and on a pension and not reliant on the economy for an income.
In fact they probably be happy if the Baht tanked so they are better off but isn't that a little bit selfish?

But you're not selfish for wanting to open up the borders despite the fact that the virus has proven to be very dangerous for older people?

Of course people are going to respond based on their own and their families specific situation. Nothing weird or selfish about that.

15 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

We are thinking about the Country as a whole , here in Thailand we have got ourselves corona free after taking numerous measures lasting many months  , You lot in the UK didnt bother with taking precautions and now you want to come and spread the virus to Thailand . 

I'm not from the UK 

• Like 1

living here, i agree with the current tourist ban.

For whatever reason, the impact of the virus on the health of thailand has been minimal. I feel that there is something inherent to thai culture (non-contact) and the climate (very sunny so a lot of UV radiation, and high Vit D levels) that keeps the virus down. I think the lack of a countrywide explosion in cases when so many went back home when bkk went lockdown strongly suggests this.

with that said, the economic impact has been devastating, and continues to be in tourism related businesses as other business begin to recover.

given the fear that the thais have of the virus, which is grossly out of context with the actual health results here, any new cases brought on by an open borders policy would send the whole place back into lockdown. 

let the internal-based economy keep recovering, while keeping thailand closed seems reasonable, however, the government should not be ignoring those impacted by a tourism ban...

perhaps redirecting some of the military hardware purchase budget to these people might be in order...

I am looking forward to my trip to kata beach at phuket next week....

Edited by poskat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

We are thinking about the Country as a whole , here in Thailand we have got ourselves corona free after taking numerous measures lasting many months  , You lot in the UK didnt bother with taking precautions and now you want to come and spread the virus to Thailand . 

Is your name "Jack", and do you really think we are all walking dead....????

• Haha 1

Well it's unfortunate for the ones with Thai families who cannot return but I think that is more to do with government policy than us older retired types so I think the unfortunate ones should lay off slagging the oldies and organise themselves to put pressure on the government to allow them to return.  

9 minutes ago, transam said:

So could you, remember, most don't know they have it Jack...:whistling:

No, its not a case of I'm alright Jack , I dont want 50 000 Thais dying from the virus .

You seem unconcerned about others and just want whats good for you .

*I'm not all-right Jack and I dont care whether others are or not, I just want to to go to Thailand*

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Myran said:

But you're not selfish for wanting to open up the borders despite the fact that the virus has proven to be very dangerous for older people?

Of course people are going to respond based on their own and their families specific situation. Nothing weird or selfish about that.

Wanting to revive the economy is not selfish it is necessary for people to earn a living pay the bills and survive.
The Virus isn't going to go away any time soon it's too wide spread so we should learn to live with it eventually we will develop some immunity.

For me I don't need the borders open I just feel for Thai people who are struggling to survive.

Edited by DirtyHarry55

10 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

No, its not a case of I'm alright Jack , I dont want 50 000 Thais dying from the virus .

*I'm not all-right Jack and I dont care whether others are or not, I just want to to go to Thailand*

I have not been outside LOS for 12 years, except for one day/hour visits to Laos. Now I cannot do that, am I one of your high risk Englishmen...?

8 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

They will die anyway from starvation or jumping off a bridge 

And you won't be going to Thailand until they run out of cash to spend on necessities like tanks and guns ????

2 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

They will die anyway from starvation or jumping off a bridge 

And you won't be going to Thailand until they run out of cash to spend on necessities like tanks and guns ????

Stop exaggerating , no ones going to starve to death  and not everyones going to kill themselves .

Thailand isnt reliant on tourists 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Oh, OK......................you should be allowed in then ................

Everyone's situation is different, my Thai wife passed away in February, i have 2 grow up daughters and 3 grandchildren, thai Embassy said im not eligible to come back yet as im not married to a Thai anymore, maybe now you get my drift. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Wanting to revive the economy is not selfish it is necessary for people to earn a living pay the bills and survive.
The Virus isn't going to go away any time soon it's too wide spread so we should learn to live with it eventually we will develop some immunity.

For me I don't need the borders open I just feel for Thai people who are struggling to survive.

Not wanting a virus running rampant and killing people before there are vaccines and adequate health care is not selfish either, it's common sense.

There are two sides to everything, but you obviously don't want to recognize that. You only want to convince everyone that your personal opinion is correct and that everyone else is wrong and selfish.

I'm not old and am not afraid of contracting the virus even if a second wave should break out in Thailand, but I feel for older people and others at great risk of dying from it.

But do continue to pat yourself on the back over what an amazing "Knight of the Thai economy" you are, and continue to claim that everyone else is selfish. Myself, I don't deal in extremes and I recognize that everyone naturally has different viewpoints and opinions based on their own situation.

Edit: typo

Edited by Myran
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Myran said:

Not wanting a virus running rampant and killing people before there are vaccines and adequate health care is not selfish either, it's common sense.

There are two sides to everything, but you obviously don't want to recognize that. You only want to convince everyone that your personal opinion is correct and that everyone else is wrong and selfish.

I'm not old and am not afraid of contracting the virus even if a second wave should break out in Thailand, but I feel for older people and others at great risk of dying from it.

But do continue to pat yourself on the back over what an amazing "Knight of the Thai economy" you are, and continue to claim that everyone else is selfish. Myself, I don't deal in extremes and I recognize that everyone naturally has different viewpoints and opinions based on their own situation.

Edit: typo

Sure it goes 2 ways but you also don't seem want to recognize that either lol.

22 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Sure it goes 2 ways but you also don't seem want to recognize that either lol.

Then you're obviously completely ignoring what I'm writing or don't have the English skills to understand – which one is it? From my very first response I made it extremely clear that neither side is selfish for having an opinion that goes in line with their particular situation: "Of course people are going to respond based on their own and their families' specific situation. Nothing weird or selfish about that."

23 minutes ago, warcy said:

Another nonsensical survey.

Those whose relatives are locked out of Thailand wouldn't vote yes.

Those who are unemployed wouldn't vote yes.

How many unemployed expats do you think voted ?

1 hour ago, Buri utd said:

Everyone's situation is different, my Thai wife passed away in February, i have 2 grow up daughters and 3 grandchildren, thai Embassy said im not eligible to come back yet as im not married to a Thai anymore, maybe now you get my drift. 

Should be because you have family here. That is utterly like spitting in your face. 

42 minutes ago, Myran said:

Then you're obviously completely ignoring what I'm writing or don't have the English skills to understand – which one is it? From my very first response I made it extremely clear that neither side is selfish for having an opinion that goes in line with their particular situation: "Of course people are going to respond based on their own and their families' specific situation. Nothing weird or selfish about that."

Sorry I understand perfectly well you trying to say but I disagree so there we go.

p.s. thanks for the personal insult.

29 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Should be because you have family here. That is utterly like spitting in your face. 

That's the gratitude you get for 30 years in Thailand, makes me feel sick, given up hope for the moment, just wait and see what happens, ????????????

19 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Sorry I understand perfectly well you trying to say but I disagree so there we go.

p.s. thanks for the personal insult.

Make up your mind: you literally just said that you agree that there are two sides to it, which has been my whole point throughout this extremely one-sided conversation. And I haven't insulted you, I simply gave you two explanations for why you're responding as if you're not reading what I'm writing: either you're not actually reading it or you don't understand it. The fact that you think I insulted you and that you would claim that I don't understand that there are two sides to anything (which literally is my whole point), leads me to believe you don't fully understand what I'm writing.

"but I disagree so there we go" – great, so you're admitting that you think your opinion is the only correct one and that everyone who doesn't agree with you is selfish.

9 minutes ago, Myran said:

Make up your mind: you literally just said that you agree that there are two sides to it, which has been my whole point throughout this extremely one-sided conversation. And I haven't insulted you, I simply gave you two explanations for why you're responding as if you're not reading what I'm writing: either you're not actually reading it or you don't understand it. The fact that you think I insulted you and that you would claim that I don't understand that there are two sides to anything (which literally is my whole point), leads me to believe you don't fully understand what I'm writing.

"but I disagree so there we go" – great, so you're admitting that you think your opinion is the only correct one and that everyone who doesn't agree with you is selfish.

What's wrong with being selfish? 

11 minutes ago, Myran said:

Of course there are two sides otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation to start with

that doesn't mean well offs who deny the poor a chance to earn a living aren't selfish though.

Edited by DirtyHarry55

18 minutes ago, Buri utd said:

That's the gratitude you get for 30 years in Thailand, makes me feel sick, given up hope for the moment, just wait and see what happens, ????????????

It is totally beyond the word of cruel. My

kids are 25, 19 and 17. I would be hurt and furious in the same time since they have opened up for married. I really thought it was for family as well. Do you mean because your kids are adults and on their own is why you are denied?