Thai GF stuck in UK. Help needed!

Hi

My thai girlfriend currently visiting me in Uk with visa expiring September.

She was due to return to Thailand May, but flight cancelled, so rebooked for September with BA

Am expecting BA September flight to be cancelled any day now - so will then have to look at repatriation flight for her from London, via Thai London embassy.

Does anyone have any recent info re. how easy it will be to get her a ticket on a September repatriation flight - is there more demand for tickets and a waiting list, or is it easy to book once they are released?

Does anyone know if August repatriation flights from London to Bangkok sold out, and if so, how quickly?

Currently we just have the uncertainty of (probably) no flight and a visa expiring in September - any info (even that demand is so high we might be waiting months) would give us some more idea of what's likely to happen.

Tried emailing London Thai embassy but got a generic reply only from them!

Thanks,

Paul

I think a lot of people will be experiencing such difficulties. My advice would be to contact the Coronavirus Immigration Team (CIT). See website ;-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-uk-visa-applicants-and-temporary-uk-residents

"If you intend to leave the UK but are not able to do so by 31 August 2020, you may request additional time to stay, also known as ‘exceptional indemnity’, by contacting the coronavirus immigration team (CIT).

The indemnity does not grant you leave but will act as a short-term protection against any adverse action or consequences after your leave has expired.

The Coronavirus Immigration Team will provide you with further advice on what you need to do to request an indemnity. This will include providing details of the reason why you are unable to leave the UK and supporting evidence, for example, a confirmed flight ticket with a date after 31 August or confirmation of a positive coronavirus test result."

The August flights went in 24 hours. Registration is now closed until the September flights get announced. Demand is far outstripping supply as far as the UK is concerned. There is a thread in the Thai news section, around 6/7 July, of pressure being put on the Thai embassy to increase the flights. 

Talk to the embassy if there are other routes available. The problem may be quarantining in Thailand as I think the free one is only available on official repat flights. ASQ quarantining starts at around 30k. Qatar is open for September bookings but like BA they may suddenly take them off line. Thai and EVA are now showing bookings from October but I suspect they will be probably cancelled. 

A Thai citizen going back to her country isn't a problem, it's the foreigners that have trouble going to Thailand.

Is there a limit on the number of flights going to Thailand?

How about going indirectly, go to another country first where there are flights available and fly from there.

34 minutes ago, warcy said:

A Thai citizen going back to her country isn't a problem, it's the foreigners that have trouble going to Thailand.

Is there a limit on the number of flights going to Thailand?

How about going indirectly, go to another country first where there are flights available and fly from there.

Going to another country wont help as the flight to Bangkok will be a repatriation flight with passengers allocated by the Thai Embassy of that country.  The limit on arrivals is down to the availability of quarantine places.

Hi

Thanks for all of the comments.  Especially useful to know how quickly the August flights sold out.

I had contacted CIT, but got a generic email back saying 'Read our Web Site!', so not much more helpful than the email I sent the Thai Embassy asking for advice.

As Upnotover stated, I had reached the same conclusion about not going via a 3rd country, as then you're dealing with their Thai embassy to try to get on a repatriation flight.

I guess if we're lucky we can get a repatriation flight in September, but if it books up too fast, might end up having to ask CIT for dispensation to stay - hopefully if it comes to that, it wont affect future visa applications.

Thanks,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I posted back in June my findings with BA. BA was selling tickets in June for August direct flights and I asked BA for confirmation that they would be guaranteed. Two days later (25th) BA told me via twitter that all August flights had gone and the next available was September. Then 29th I finally received an email from BA stating all flights were suspended until 31st August.

I picked 2  dates at random on BA's website, ten minutes ago. 17th & 21st September.

17th BA are flying to Hong Kong, then there is an Ethiopian  airlines connecting flight to BKK.

21st BA are flying to Hong Kong, then there is an Ethopian airlines connecting flight to BKK.

It gives the impression that BA are flying once a day to Hong Kong and then it is possible to get connecting flights to BKK.

www.bangkok-airport.net

Would indicate that Ethiopian airlines are flying out of BKK, flight ET1403  tonight to Tokyo.

Without knowing the details of your girlfriend's return flight, she could leave via BA but not direct. If she hasn't already got a non direct flight might be worth you contacting BA to see if she can change to  one.

Hope this helps.

Archived