Snooker: Rocket Ronnie dispatches Thailand's Thepchaiya in double quick time

Snooker: Rocket Ronnie dispatches Thailand's Thepchaiya in double quick time

Ronnie-and-Thepchaiya.jpg

England's Ronnie O'Sullivan beat Thailand's Thepchaiya Un-Nooh 10-2 in sparkling fashion at the World Snooker Championships in Sheffield, England yesterday afternoon (Thai time).

At about ten minutes short of two hours it was the fastest winning time ever for a first round match at The Crucible theatre.

Leading 8-1 overnight Ronnie - called The Rocket - wasted little time in demolishing his Thai opponent, also a very fast player. 

At the end of the encounter played in an empty venue, the players were not allowed to handshake. 

Ronnie smiled in appreciation as sporting Thepchaiya wai-ed his opponent respectfully at the end of a snooker exhibition.

Thailand's other hope in the event, Noppon Saengkham, begins his first round best of 19 match against England's Shaun Murphy today at 4 pm (Thai time).

Let's hope Ronnie doesn't fly Thai airways.

Stephen Hendry was waiting to see if the treasured cue which won him seven world titles can be saved after it was smashed on his way back from the Thailand Open.

...was damaged on the way back from Bangkok on board a Thai Airways flight.

Hendry, who has had the cue since he was 14, said: "As soon as we touched down in London they contacted me and said my cue had been damaged.

"They don't do that when it's just a scratch - so right away I feared the worst. "When I eventually got my cue in Glasgow, the case was held together with tape - and the cue looked like a shepherd's crook!..."The butt-end is broken in two. I just don't know if it can be repaired. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/3199523.stm

I'm sure it was an accident and the Thai baggage handlers didn't get into the case, then break it in two, out of some twisted who does he think he is spite.