Jump to content
BANGKOK
jimmya123

Can I buy land for my thai daughter

Recommended Posts

I want to buy land for 8 years old semi-thai daughter by registering her name, because i have divorced her thai mother actually i am planning to build a small home on the land(in rural area) and i want to live in the home where i will build till i pass away ,eventually after i pass away , my daughter can do whatever she wants to do for the land and house as my inheritor. 

1- Can i buy land in her age, is there any age limitation or restriction to own land registered by her name legally

2- Can my ex-wife sell or lease the land by using my daughter's name as she is guardian of my daughter.

3- If there are no trouble for clause 1 and 2 , can my daughter sell or lease the land once she is 20.

4- Regarding all possible issues as far as i heard, can i make an agreement between my daughter and me to obtain land's usage right till i pass away , will the agreement be legal on thaland's courts.(meanwhile, if i do that, who will sign the agreement as she is 8 years old now) .  

 

actually , there is a following law , but it is not clear for my case, 

 

Section 1574. A person exercising parental power cannot enter into any of the following juristic acts with regard to the property of the minor except with permission of the Court;

  1. selling, exchanging, sale with right of redemption, letting out property on hire-purchase, mortgaging, releasing mortgage to mortgagor or transferring the right of mortgage on immovable property or on mortgageable movable property; 
  2. extinguishing the whole or a part of real right of the minor on immovable property; 
  3. creating servitude, right of inhabitation, right of superficies, usufruct or any charge on immovable property; 
  4. disposing of the whole or a part of the claim the purpose of which is to create real right on immovable property or on mortgageable property, or the claim the purpose of which is to have a real right on such property of the minor relieved; 
  5. letting immovable property for more than three years; 
  6. creating any commitments the purpose of which is to achieve the objective as provided in (1), (2) and (3); 
  7. making a loan of money; 
  8. making a gift, except out of the income of the minor on the minor’s behalf for charitable, social or moral purposes, and suitable to the minor’s condition in life; 
  9. accepting a gift subject to any condition or charge, or refusing a gift; 
  10. giving guarantee by any means whatsoever which may cause the minor to be compelled to perform an obligation or to enter into other juristic act, as requiring the minor to perform an obligation to other person or on behalf of other person; 
  11. making benefit out of the property other than those provided in Section 1598/4 (1), (2) or (3) 
  12. making a compromise; 
  13. submitting a dispute to arbitration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some years ago the government decreed that aliens could not buy land in a Thai's name, presumably because they were doing so to get around the "farangs can't own land" law.

Would pay to check if that still stands.

 

Of course many farangs buy land in their wife's name, but that may have the proverbial blind eye turned to it.

Be easier to determine the money came from you if it's for an 8 year old.

 

You should still protect your right to live on the land, as it's not unknown for a bitter ex wife to turn a child against it's father.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a very bad idea.

 

Firstly you are gifting something to a child who may have envious immoral elders around them when you are gone. I shall not go into detail about what could happen but it's a real thing even if you like to think otherwise.

 

It's a conundrum I too often think about. The problems I see right now is you sound like you are already sacrificing your child by living out in the sticks. What good will that do her? 

 

Sending her to the only option of a school for miles just so you get a tranquill low cost of living surrounded by whom and what?

 

I sometimes wonder if a child is actually better off in Pattaya growing up seeing all the world through all those lenses versus a child who has  lived almost innocently for so long and then likely had some form of breakdown in relationship and faced Pattaya naive and completely unprepared.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

It's a very bad idea.

 

Firstly you are gifting something to a child who may have envious immoral elders around them when you are gone. I shall not go into detail about what could happen but it's a real thing even if you like to think otherwise.

 

It's a conundrum I too often think about. The problems I see right now is you sound like you are already sacrificing your child by living out in the sticks. What good will that do her? 

 

Sending her to the only option of a school for miles just so you get a tranquill low cost of living surrounded by whom and what?

 

I sometimes wonder if a child is actually better off in Pattaya growing up seeing all the world through all those lenses versus a child who has  lived almost innocently for so long and then likely had some form of breakdown in relationship and faced Pattaya naive and completely unprepared.

First of all, she is from my blood and according to my culture if you make a child, you must get her/his  responsibility till passing away,

 

I don't know how long and where have you been in Thailand. I have been living in Thailand for more than 10 years and i work as a teacher(math teaching).,so far, all of my students (who haven't gone pattaya to sell themselves🤣) have gone universities to study enginering. I have lived mostly in north of thailand where people are so friendly,kind, helpfull  etc.. (even they offer me many bottles of beer when i had no pocket money) . My ex-wife is a teacher too and her family supported us economically and morally during marriage. 

 

As a result of them , thai people is not sticky just have conservative culture and pattaya life which have all kinds of bad altidutes and illegalizations is totally different than real thai culture 

 

If a foreigner/farang dosen't join and respect their real social life totally, thais think the foreigner just as ATM machine. 

 

and that won't be gift for her, which must be done actually , which will be advantage for my rest of life   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jimmya123 said:

First of all, she is from my blood and according to my culture if you make a child, you must get her/his  responsibility till passing away,

 

I don't know how long and where have you been in Thailand. I have been living in Thailand for more than 10 years and i work as a teacher(math teaching).,so far, all of my students (who haven't gone pattaya to sell themselves🤣) have gone universities to study enginering. I have lived mostly in north of thailand where people are so friendly,kind, helpfull  etc.. (even they offer me many bottles of beer when i had no pocket money) . My ex-wife is a teacher too and her family supported us economically and morally during marriage. 

 

As a result of them , thai people is not sticky just have conservative culture and pattaya life which have all kinds of bad altidutes and illegalizations is totally different than real thai culture 

 

If a foreigner/farang dosen't join and respect their real social life totally, thais think the foreigner just as ATM machine. 

 

and that won't be gift for her, which must be done actually , which will be advantage for my rest of life   

Forget all the negative comments, your desire to help and support your daughter is very admirable.

 

Yes land can be recorded in the name of an 8 yr old.

 

Yes you can record a lease on the property to ensure you have a roof over your head until you pass on, if you wish to go this route.

 

At 20 your daughter can make her own decisions but any lease (above) might make that complex but at this time you could remove the lease if you wish to.

 

As shown the Thai law on this subject strongly protects the interests of the child, there has to be a very unusual critical proven need for funds to get a court order to sell the land/property, close to impossible.  I recall before someone asked a lawyer if courts, in this circumstance, generally make an order allowing an older relative to sell the property. The lawyer supposedly answered that he had never heard of such an order being granted. 

 

Yes when she's of legal age other relatives might put pressure on her, let her take care of this. 

 

Good luck. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes you can record a lease on the property to ensure you have a roof over your head until you pass on, if you wish to go this route.

Not possible on land owned by a child.

Maximum encumbrance for land owned by a minor is 3 years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2020 at 6:36 AM, BritManToo said:

1. yes you can, no there isn't.

2. It can't be sold without a court order, which the courts never give.

3. yes she can

4. Get yourself named as property manager on the chanote (by agreement of both parents, and can't be changed except by death)

 

But as you appear short of money, better to rent.

Court does give the ok to sell the land as long as it is for the child's benefit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2020 at 6:47 AM, scorecard said:

Forget all the negative comments, your desire to help and support your daughter is very admirable.

 

Yes land can be recorded in the name of an 8 yr old.

 

Yes you can record a lease on the property to ensure you have a roof over your head until you pass on, if you wish to go this route.

 

At 20 your daughter can make her own decisions but any lease (above) might make that complex but at this time you could remove the lease if you wish to.

 

As shown the Thai law on this subject strongly protects the interests of the child, there has to be a very unusual critical proven need for funds to get a court order to sell the land/property, close to impossible.  I recall before someone asked a lawyer if courts, in this circumstance, generally make an order allowing an older relative to sell the property. The lawyer supposedly answered that he had never heard of such an order being granted. 

 

Yes when she's of legal age other relatives might put pressure on her, let her take care of this. 

 

Good luck. 

 

 

But you must have the lease in your name before you put it in your daughters name that is the big problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See BritManToo earlier answer. But you can only gift land to a minor that is debt free. So you cannot borrow against the land and than gift it. You will have to pay for the land in full. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 4:57 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Some years ago the government decreed that aliens could not buy land in a Thai's name, presumably because they were doing so to get around the "farangs can't own land" law.

 

Not true, the other way around, it used to be forbidden for a Thai wife of a foreigner to buy land but that law is abolished for quite a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Not true, the other way around, it used to be forbidden for a Thai wife of a foreigner to buy land but that law is abolished for quite a while.

I don't think they are  talking about buying it through your wife FritsSikkink, they are talking about buying, through another person with conditions on the Chanut that make it theirs. There are (were in the past ) several ways of doing that--a phony morgage ,( $$ owed to the farang, )much higher than the worth of the land.

A company which the farang owns 49% and 3-4 other people not known to each other own smaller % and you also have their undated letter of resignation.

 

With the wife, it is against Thai law to enter any contract with her. Some people think they have a 30 year lease on the house from the wife----they don't.

Under Thai marriage laws any agreement between husband and wife entered into during the marriage can be voided by either of them at any time during the marriage or within one year from the final divorce. For this reason only a prenuptial agreement between husband and wife is under Thai law a valid contract if made pre-marriage and registered in the marriage register at the time of marriage, but it is a void contract if made post-nuptial (section 1466)..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In rural Thailand you can pay a rai of land 100000k baht, is it really important to who it belongs at the end ?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one thought:   IF YOU would die early, her mother will be in control of everything till she is 20

 

and you know how cheap hired men can be if money is involved or under the influence of that new love that promise them everything, right ...  (hired murderer for 2500 baht recently story)

 

rent a house or a condo, keep your money in your home country, send over what you need and save yourself a lot of headaches & stress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...