Don't eat the mussels! Top marine doctor fears disease after mass collection at Jomtien

webfact

Don't eat the mussels! Top marine doctor fears disease after mass collection at Jomtien

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A well known marine scientist went on Facebook to warn the public not to eat mussels washed ashore in the recent storm.

Around 100 people had been out collecting the shells following a storm. They washed up by a temple in Jomtien, Pattaya.

Dr Thon Thamrongnawasawat said that a plankton bloom in the area had weakened or caused the death of mussels and some might be dangerous to eat.

He said he wouldn't eat them as they are a species that cling onto things and should be detached and eaten fresh not collected from the sands. 

This was a natural event and was not as a result of tsunami or earthquake, he said. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-04

• Thanks 1

Help you <deleted> better too ! 

Well, runnier and more often at least. Maybe until it kills you !

I was kind of wondering myself about this sudden "bounty" as it seems to have been in a pretty limited area and if it was washed up from a storm there should have been the same thing in other areas as well.
Also, we've had some pretty decent storms here in the past without a similar "bounty" appearing. 

Algae blooms (aka - "red tide") are caused by the rapid growth of certain kinds of algae which produce toxins that poison the water around them. 
From the EPA:

What causes harmful algal blooms?

Harmful algal blooms need:

Sunlight

Slow-moving water

Nutrients (nitrogen and phosphorus)

Nutrient pollution from human activities makes the problem worse, leading to more severe blooms that occur more often.
https://www.epa.gov/nutrientpollution/harmful-algal-blooms

Guess where you can get lots of nitrogen and phosphorus ? Commercial fertilizers and - outflow from wastewater treatment plants (or raw sewage itself).

In other words, either raw sewage pumped into the ocean or outflow from sewage treatment plants that aren't filtering out the nitrogen/phosphorous properly before the effluent (treated outflow) is released into (river/lakes/oceans/etc).

Another fine reason why the city should NOT consider diverting the outflow from the wastewater treatment plants into the reservoirs to increase the water supply. Reservoirs would make perfect breeding grounds for such algae blooms.

• Like 2

Oh gawd, eating something from Jomthien. Must have the immune system of Superman on steroids to survive that. Glowing kung is an appetizer compared to that hazardous waste.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Gold Star said:

Regarding mussels, I recently bought 2 kg from the Naklua fish market, just before the rains this weekend. Paid extra for largest ones, and they looked like they would be quite a meal. However, when cooked by steaming after soaking, they shrunk down in size to be just like the little normal ones. Only the shells were huge.  Anyone else experience such shrinkage of their mussels, or is it just like everything else here, fake boobs, fake smiles, and fake love? Should I just pay with fake money...?

The shrinkage problem is mainly caused by cold water

On 8/4/2020 at 6:45 PM, Peterphuket said:

I'm crazy about mussels, yes from a cold see like the North-Sea.

But from warm waters they warning me long time age about bacteria that thrive in warm waters, unfortunately.

The same goes for oysters, be warned.

Yes, I like oysters, but one does have to be careful, and Jomtiem, no way!

Incidentally, I'm told that oysters are an aphrodisiac - well I don't know, the last time I ate them only the first 3 worked!

• Like 1