Social Security Medical Benefits

I have been offered a job and they are a bit vague about the social security benefits saying it will only start after my 3 month probation has been completed. Is this correct or can you be covered from th first day of your contract?

Secondly, as regards the cost I read an old post saying the employee's contribution is 750, is that still correct?

Lastly, I understand that one of the advantages of having social security medical benefits is that you can continue to contribute personally after you leave your job to maintain the coverage. Does any of the TV experts here know the conditions with regards to coverage (I understand you must select one hospital from a given list) and qualifying contributions?

Just trying to understand the benefits and conditions a bit more. Seems like quite a good benefit if you are planning on staying in Thailand long term as opposed to some of those very limited private insurance medical plans that some employees offer.

Thanks in advance.

I find it is very useful. I have used the medical coverage a few times for minor things (sore throat, cut finger and so on) and everything has gone smoothly. Never paid a single baht to the hospital. 

I still have a private medical insurance, mainly because I am afraid to use the government hospital if I need major surgery or something.

Are you aware of the quality of this service?

Obviously it's better than having no insurance at all. But it is far away from good.

And the hospitals which you can choose are few and often not the kind of hospital which you would chose yourself.

If you can afford it get a private health insurance.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Are you aware of the quality of this service?

Obviously it's better than having no insurance at all. But it is far away from good.

And the hospitals which you can choose are few and often not the kind of hospital which you would chose yourself.

If you can afford it get a private health insurance.

There are several private hospitals where you can register as well, and they are great... Sikarin and Camillian in Bangkok as a few examples

Both are better than many other non government hospitals

1 minute ago, jumbo said:

There are several private hospitals where you can register as well, and they are great... Sikarin and Camillian in Bangkok as a few examples

I was registered at Camillian a couple of years ago. And then the next year that option was not available anymore.

And the only time when I was in Camillian I was disappointed with their service.

Maybe it was just bad luck for me but I didn't get a good impression from that place.

3 hours ago, jumbo said:

Camillian pulled out of the social security about a year ago.

Edited by petedk

Thanks all for the responses.

I see it more as a backup option or if future premiums become too expensive.

What is the minimum qualifying years of contribution as an employee? I read 12 months is that correct?

Edited by stament

14 minutes ago, stament said:

Thanks all for the responses.

I see it more as a backup option or if future premiums become too expensive.

What is the minimum qualifying years of contribution as an employee? I read 12 months is that correct?

If you mean qualifying period to be able to continue you it on your own by self pay I believe it is 13 months. Very much worth doing, most affordable insurance available, no cap on benefits and cost does nto increase as you age. Also covers both in and outpatients,  whereas most people limit their private insurance to inpatient cover as premiums are otherwise almost double. The outpatient benefit, which includes the cost of medications,  is especially valuable for older retirees on fixed income at the age where they also often have chronic conditions.

You will get the same quality of care as anyone else attending the same hospital. You are limited to getting care at one hospital, and in the Bangkok area especially the range of choice is limited.

• Thanks 1