Pattaya Police Hard At Work

Pattaya Spotter

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

busying themselves ticketing and towing away cars and motorbikes parked on the north side

I would have no problem with that, ticketing, means drivers fined and paying fine at the police station.

If they were harrassing motorists, and pocketing the money thats different.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I would have no problem with that, ticketing, means drivers fined and paying fine at the police station.

As I said, they were acting within the law enforcing the parking regulations, which are sign posted. However, my thought is that the alternate side parking regulations on this stretch of South Pattaya Road opposite Tuk Com, are in place because in normal times, this is a very congested stretch of road and an additional lane is very useful. We are hardly in normal times now and traffic congestion anywhere in town is not a problem at the moment. I also observed the same police behavior on deserted Beach Road in front of the Holiday Inn a few nites ago. Yes enforcing the law...but leaving a bad taste in people's mouths during these stressful times for no real reason. (And these people may say the heck with coming down to Beach Road to spend money at a local business in future.)

16 hours ago, colinneil said:

I have no time for the police ever in Thailand.

just a bunch of professional impostors all day long.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

In the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic, with the town empty, over half the businesses shut down, many people out of work, traffic the lightest in decades, and parking the easiest in years, our local constabulary were out in force at 11 a.m.

I would happily see them towing away every illegaally parked vehicle, but also wish they would focus on those creating traffic congestion. Currently construction associated vehicles are parking near to the Northbound 3rd Rd/Klang junction just before Klang at the lights causing tailbacks to Soi 11 and  points South. Problematic even in these times.

Stopped yesterday at a Ad Hoc road checkpoint ..... They checked my Thai Driving license asked me to blow into the Alcohol check machine ( negative) and then  politely told to go only way ..with a"Have a nice day".

All done in a professional and courteous  manner ...  I am alway  polite and smile and do as I am asked .. I have never  had a problem .... If I know I have broke the law and given a ticket .. I take it on the chin like a man..  too many people have a downer on the Police just because that particular law at that particular time doesn't suit them ....

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

In the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic, with the town empty, over half the businesses shut down, many people out of work, traffic the lightest in decades, and parking the easiest in years, our local constabulary were out in force at 11 a.m. sharp this morning enforcing the one-side no parking restrictions on lower South Pattaya Road this morning.

Most the flights  are flying at less than 1/2 capacity  due to the China flu ...so with your logic you'd be quite happy to board and fly on a aircraft knowing that due to China flu the maintenance schedules has been halved or not done at all due to lack of numbers... Some jobs just have to be done . whether we like it or not ..

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, banglay said:

Most the flights  are flying at less than 1/2 capacity  due to the China flu ...so with your logic you'd be quite happy to board and fly on a aircraft knowing that due to China flu the maintenance schedules has been halved or not done at all due to lack of numbers... Some jobs just have to be done . whether we like it or not ..

As I wrote, the police were enforcing long standing sign posted parking regulations, which is of course their right. I am only suggesting that at a time when traffic congestion and parking are hardly an issue, many people are struggling economically, and businesses need customers, the police could maybe focus their mental acuity on more pressing issues...like finding Kristy's killer rather than handing out parking fines and impounding vehicles.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
Clarity
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

As I wrote, the police were enforcing long standing sign posted parking regulations, which is of course their right. I am only suggesting that at a time when traffic congestion and parking are hardly an issue, many people are struggling economically, and businesses need customers, the police could maybe focus their mental acuity on more pressing issues...like finding Kristy's killer rather than handing out parking fines and impounding vehicles.

Calm down dear, people( myself included ) go on about the police being lazy, not doing their jobs.

Yet you are prattling on about them when they are actually doing their job.... Unbelievable.

• Like 1

A week or so ago They had a checkpoint on South Pattaya Road Soi 1, the short cut that takes you from the east end of South Pattaya Road past Aksorn and on to Third Road on the way to Bali Hai, bypassing the South Pattaya Road traffic jams. Five years ago they were a regular feature on this and other minor roads, but then they switched their focus away from them. They seemed to be focusing on motorbikes rather than cars, so indeed just like old times.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Calm down dear, people( myself included ) go on about the police being lazy, not doing their jobs.

Yet you are prattling on about them when they are actually doing their job.... Unbelievable.

I have no problem with the police doing their job and am neutral on the Thai police as a whole...I have not had any problems with them in 20 years of residing in Thailand and on a couple of occasions, they have even been helpful. Of course, I am a properly licenced and fully insured driver. I also appreciate the discounted pay on the spot traffic fines option on the odd occasions when I did commit an infraction. I'm just saying at this extraordinary time, maybe parking enforcement shouldn't be a priority. 

• Like 1

The alternate-side parking on South Road in Tukcom area is a good thing. It took a very long time for people to accept and adapt to it. If police stops to enforce this rule in this period, police will have to restart from zero after theCovid period, with nobody respecting this rule...

12 hours ago, johng said:

They have laid new pavement  but it was  overwhelmed immediately  on the market side of the road

You can see the produce is lined up ready to occupy that new pavement.